Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gin ****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I don't like gin, but I've tried it a couple of times. Any time I've drank it, I end up a sobbing mess. I don't mean a single tear, delicately blinked out of my manly eye, I mean full on, can't breathe, puffy, blotchy, teenage girl when her boyband breaks up kinda crying.

I generally go with the "Alcohol is alcohol" myself, but when I drink gin, tissues get ruined.

Gin **** is right, eh?

Brilliantly condensed spleen OP, bravo! Delighted to see it get so many likes too :P Gin is absolutely disgusting in my opinion, it boggles my mind how anybody could like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

fxotoole wrote: »
    Nah, even back in '94 it was cool to drink G&T. Although in those days we called it "Supersonic"

I drank gin and bitter lemon in the 80s and some people thought I was a quare. It sickens me now how "trendy" it has got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

anna080 wrote: »
    Any time I've ever drank it I've been a raging cnut for about a week after.

What about the week before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't like gin, but I've tried it a couple of times. Any time I've drank it, I end up a sobbing mess. I don't mean a single tear, delicately blinked out of my manly eye, I mean full on, can't breathe, puffy, blotchy, teenage girl when her boyband breaks up kinda crying.

I generally go with the "Alcohol is alcohol" myself, but when I drink gin, tissues get ruined.

Have you drunk other full strength spirits in the same quantity at the same speed?

G&T are very easy to knock back quickly, catching people out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

MadYaker wrote: »
    I had a friend who used to drink buckfast mixed with jameson and whenever he drank that mix he always got in a fight (and won) he used to blame that paricular drink mixture but i think he just used it as an excuse when he was in the mood for a scrap

Bucky and Jameson? Bleck, dirtbird.

Everyone knows Vodka, Redbull and Bucky is scrap juice.
    Gin **** is right, eh?

To be fair, I'm a wanker anyway.

I thought gin was made from sloe berries? I remember trying to eat them before and they were disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I love gins but I have been mortified at the glasses its put in sometimes... why the fish bowl trend...

I thought gin was made from sloe berries? I remember trying to eat them before and they were disgusting.

Juniper berries (technically not a berry).
    Sloe gin has sloes in it, funnily enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Omackeral wrote: »
    Good god I hate gin ****, I hate them. They're absolutely everywhere nowadays. Ubiquitous bastards. Look at ya there, standing with your poxy goldfish bowl full of gin with seawood or lettuce or probably kale swirling around in it you hipster piece of sh*t. ''It's got cucumber in it so it's one of my 5-a-day lol''. No, no it's not. You're a wanker. And gin bars are now a thing too? ''Uh sorry, what tonics do you recommend?''. Seriously, you try-hard motherfcukers. Stop trying to be into gin. Get that perfect filter for your gin pics... well you can fcuk off too Lovin' Dublin or whatever clickbaity gick is on the bandwagon this week. Gin tea bags, gin biscuits... Christ make it stop. Gin was the tipple of hairy lipped ladies back in the day was it not? Auld ones playing bridge or something? Now the girls drinking it are youngones that, this time last year, were falling around locked on blue WKD bawling their eyes out on street corners. Now it's all Gin + Doggy Ear Filter + Be Rude Not To caption. Who would it be rude to? Who?!

God I despise you all.

A really, really good rant. Best I've seen in a long time. I thoroughly enjoyed that.

• Advertisement

Have you drunk other full strength spirits in the same quantity at the same speed?

G&T are very easy to knock back quickly, catching people out.

Vodka, rum, whisk(e)y, tequila, whenever the mood takes me. Usually happy go lucky, rarely angry (now), and may decide that I'm finished and the off switch gets flipped, and I shut down for a sleep.

G&T? Well, (Gin and juice really, because tonic is piss) You're a prick, and she's a ****, and I miss me dad.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    My good wife is quite partial to a gin. Currently her favourite gins are Hendricks (expensive) or Boyles gin (not as expensive as Hendricks, but bloody expensive for Aldi)

I met her in 2001.

In a pub.

She was drinking gin then too.

She usually has her drink in a small tumbler style glass. Maybe served with a dash of tonic or bitter lemon and an ice cube.

She's been drinking her gin like this (although it was Gordon's gin up until about 4 or 5 years ago) since I met her.

She doesn't drink it from a goblet/chalice.

She doesn't plonk celery/rhubarb/cucumber/seaweed nor any bolloxollogy in to the mix.

Simply gin. Ice. Mixer.

What's the problem here?

Besides her rampant alcoholism?

Nah, Sloe Gin is made from sloes. Sloe gin is tasty as **** though.

Ah right. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not really. Sloe gin is bog standard gin with sloes and sugar added and left to macerate for a couple of months, then strained. Easy to make yourself as I do every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

One of my YouTube subscriptions covered Sloe Gin making this week.

My Mum uses ethyl (comestible) alcohol and herbs to make mediterranean liqueur at home, each to his/her own..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Juniper berries. They're more like a spice thing you might add to some roasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

My OH has a 3 litre jar of sloe gin on the go for Christmas using berries picked from the ditch outside the house. My eldest son has her this way. Lovely lad, but a bit of a GW

Does being a gin distiller make me the ultimate gin wanker?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

I have some cork dry gin in my house for an unfashionable aged relative who turns up every Christmas. Otherwise I never touch the vile stuff. She'll be delighted to know she’s hipster now. (Although she has been working on the beard for a while so she’s been trending that way).

Christ even the mention of Cork Dry Gin gives me shivers. My grandfather used give me some of it when I used help him on the farm in the winter. When I asked older lads to buy me drink for discos I'd ask for a few cans and Cork dry gin as that's what I knew would be safe. How dumb I was. The real puberty came after you drank a naggin of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I love a good rant and hostile responses when said rant is mocked or question. Top class. I'm being serious.

Its therapeutic.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

..as Shrek said, better out than in..I saw that Phillip Boucher Hayes thing about food crazes..wall-to-wall **** and poseurs, oh and some lad who barbecues outside, and has taken to call himself a "Pitmaster". Sweet Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I made this especially for you op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Hate it. Got very very sick from gin a long time ago. Hate the new hipster gin culture crap. WANNABEES, WANNABEES EVERYWHERE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

Looks lovely @ cork lass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Gin. The drink of wannabes

Patww79 wrote: »
    I like a gin and tonic but it's gone so hard to get a normal gin in a normal glass.

Wtf is a normal gin?
    But I hear ya, I despise those teetering goldfish bowls too.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Whatever gin they had that i was drinking 15 years ago before every pub needed 30 different brands and a 'gin bar'. Cork Dry Gin I think.

But they're all just gins. Try something other than CDG, you don't have to spend a fortune to realise how awful it is.

• Advertisement

A really, really good rant. Best I've seen in a long time. I thoroughly enjoyed that.

I'll do one a month so, to compliment my gf's rants that she seems to do in and around the same time once a month.

I'll do one a month so, to compliment my gf's rants that she seems to do in and around the same time once a month.

Did your gf start the prosecco thread?
    Great rant, BTW

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I made this especially for you op

Your dog is fat.

Did your gf start the prosecco thread?
    Great rant, BTW

Nah she's a Sauvignon Blanc lush. Thanks for the great support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Tastes like aftershave too right their ****!

Tastes like aftershave too right their ****!

Whose ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Went through a Gin and Club Lemon phase when I was about 18 (20+ years ago), nice drink but too easily drunk, my young self couldnt handle shorts at the best of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Has anyone heard of gin being called 'mothers ruin'? My crazy uncle was telling me about it when I was drinking gin , he said pregnant women who didn't want to be pregnant would drink a bottle of gin and get into a scalding hot bath in order to have a miscarriage :(

PandaPoo wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of gin being called 'mothers ruin'? My crazy uncle was telling me about it when I was drinking gin , he said pregnant women who didn't want to be pregnant would drink a bottle of gin and get into a scalding hot bath in order to have a miscarriage :(

Nowt crazy about him, he's bang on the money.

/thread pls

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

/thread pls

Should have been closed after the first post, summed everything up perfectly, no replies required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Your dog is fat.

Sure is, I’ll have to start giving him the slimline tonic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Drinking gin has been mainstream for yonks. Decades.

It hasn't though. It's been popular among a specific demographic but definitely not mainstream. How many people in their 20s and 30s drank gin before 2015 compared to how many do now? Fcuk all is the official answer.

I hate the taste of both gin and tonic. In the past 2 years the amount of gobsh1tes who have said to me "oh you have to try proper gin/tonic". No. I've tried them all. They're all gick. And you're a wanker.

#jesuisomackeral

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Yes how dare people dress differently and drink different things!
    They should wear the same uniform of short hair, wanky jeans, shirt, get drunk on H, B and Jaegerbombs whilst talking about football. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

TPD wrote: »
    Gin is the new "thing people like which annoys people who don't always liked it, yet realise that it's still just gin" then? Glad it's moved on from craft beers anyway.
    Better. The only thing that really annoys me is being handed my drink in a dopey looking glass bubble.

Yes how dare people dress differently and drink different things!
    They should wear the same uniform of short hair, wanky jeans, shirt, get drunk on H, B and Jaegerbombs whilst talking about football. :p

The irony of this post is that the thread is actually on about everyone being the same, not different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

lawred2 wrote: »
    I was drinking Gin and sporting a beard in 2004 - I think I can safely say I wasn't in it for the fad...

Were you an "Early adopter" gin wanker then ?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_innovations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

NIMAN wrote: »
    Its just the hipsters at it again.

First beards, now gin.

How did the hipster die?

He fell into the main stream

• Advertisement

worded wrote: »
    How did the hipster die?

He fell into the main stream