Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sutton to Malahide Greenway

Options
  • 18-10-2017 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Fingal County Council is holding public consultations this week on the proposed Sutton-Malahide Greenway. This project will eventually link to and extend the coast route from Clontarf-Sutton.

The first consultation was last night, Tuesday, but there'll be another one tonight and again on Thursday. Anyone who's interested should go along and get informed or just express support for the scheme.

The full schedule of public consultations is as follows:
    Tuesday 17th October | 3.30-7.30pm in Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links.
    Wednesday 18th October | 3.30-7.30pm in Malahide Library.
    Thursday 19th October | 4.15-7.30pm in Baldoyle Library.

More information available here: http://www.dublincycling.com/cycling/sutton-malahide-greenway-information-evenings

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Did you go last night? Is it just a viewing of the proposed plans or is there someone there from the council to converse with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Did you go last night? Is it just a viewing of the proposed plans or is there someone there from the council to converse with?

Haven't gone, nor will I get a chance to this week, but the description of the meetings this week is: "...to set out the scope of the project and to start the discussion with local people and visitors on the issues, challenges and opportunities in designing the Greenway."

I guess that means there will be maps showing the outline route of the Greenway and giving an overview of the type of path that's proposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Is it just a viewing of the proposed plans or is there someone there from the council to converse with?

The ad from the local press (copy here: https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/919895726812991488) says there'll be FCC staff at the information evenings.

There was actually a leaflet from Labour in the door when i got home about this.

Says "Various options under consideration for the proposed scheme will be available at each venue and Fingal staff will also be present to provide further information on the project".

After much rooting around the fingal website, I found the page with the proposals here.

Will drop down tomorrow evening if I get home from work in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

it annoys me that the way this week lined itself up for me meant i couldn't go out to see this. thanks for the link above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

There was actually a leaflet from Labour in the door when i got home about this.

Says "Various options under consideration for the proposed scheme will be available at each venue and Fingal staff will also be present to provide further information on the project".

After much rooting around the fingal website, I found the page with the proposals here.

Will drop down tomorrow evening if I get home from work in time.
    Good find. You need to download the PDF files to be able to see the plans clearly, and it looks like you can make a submission there too. So, it isn't really necessary to attend the sessions in person. It would be great if as many people as possible voice their support for the plans, as doubtless there will be some who are agin' it.

The whole coastal plan and particularly the link to Donabate from Malahide (which isn't covered by this) will be a fantastic addition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

am i missing it, but do the route outlines stop in baldoyle and start again in portmarnock? i'd regard the road between them as possibly the most important part.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

plodder wrote: »
    The whole coastal plan and particularly the link to Donabate from Malahide (which isn't covered by this) will be a fantastic addition.

Will that go over the viaduct?

Will that go over the viaduct?

pretty sure i read that a new bridge is to be built for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

pretty sure i read that a new bridge is to be built for it.

Brilliant! Look forward to that. I presume that'd be shared with pedestrians too?

• Advertisement

Brilliant! Look forward to that. I presume that'd be shared with pedestrians too?

yep. link here to an old story on it, i definitely read something more recently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

am i missing it, but do the route outlines stop in baldoyle and start again in portmarnock? i'd regard the road between them as possibly the most important part.

According to Dublincycling.com, Councillor David Healy says:

“The Baldoyle to Portmarnock section has been taken first, separately, and is expected to go to An Bord Pleanala and formal public consultation, probably in November.”

yep. link here to an old story on it, i definitely read something more recently though.
    Yeah, there's already some kind of a service road on the embankment which had to be put in when the bridge collapsed. I assume there is space for same on the other side and all that's needed is a bridge alongside the new railway bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cdaly_ wrote: »
    According to Dublincycling.com, Councillor David Healy says:

“The Baldoyle to Portmarnock section has been taken first, separately, and is expected to go to An Bord Pleanala and formal public consultation, probably in November.”
    cheers - i'm comfortable enough on that road, but can easily see why it'd be intimidating for people not confident on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

cheers - i'm comfortable enough on that road, but can easily see why it'd be intimidating for people not confident on a bike.

It's awkward enough as a motorist overtaking cyclists / joggers. The steeped banks are not ideal.

Must be tricky as a cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

It's contested space. Have been on the receiving end of aggro from drivers there when out for spins. Would only cycle it with others now, don't feel safe on it solo. Baldoyle-Portmarnock Greenway can't come soon enough IMO!

Details of the proposed stretch between Baldoyle and Portmarnock have been submitted to An Bord Pleanala by Fingal.

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/baldoyle-and-portmarnock-pedestrian-and-cyclist-scheme

Alanstrainor won't be posting any more videos in the near miss thread if this comes to pass! ;)

Details of the proposed stretch between Baldoyle and Portmarnock have been submitted to An Bord Pleanala by Fingal.

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/baldoyle-and-portmarnock-pedestrian-and-cyclist-scheme

Alanstrainor won't be posting any more videos in the near miss thread if this comes to pass! ;)
    That's good news. The land seems to be fenced off already. So, I guess that means it's ready to go as soon as ABP give approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Haha, all going well!

Sounds fantastic.

• Advertisement

that looks like it's not going to meander back and forth across the coast road, which is excellent news.

that looks like it's not going to meander back and forth across the coast road, which is excellent news.

I think that was what was proposed for Baldoyle itself wasn't it? largely due to space / land ownership issues iirc.

this looks like an excellent proposal and indeed potentially a template for how these should be done. the grass separation between pedestrians and cyclist is imo a really good idea.

There will be a new signal controlled crossing at Mayne Rd. though, where before you would just go straight thru on the main rd.

I think that was what was proposed for Baldoyle itself wasn't it? largely due to space / land ownership issues iirc.
    i misunderstood so, i just assumed it'd be swapping backwards and forwards along the coast road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The point is to be able to call it a greenway, have a photo op and press release.

As long as we are clear on that we can proceed.

i misunderstood so, i just assumed it'd be swapping backwards and forwards along the coast road.

I think it might have been proposed that there would be a crossing from the coast side at the roundabout to join with this stretch, as well as the multiple crossings between there and Sutton.

but I'm working off something that I looked over a few months back so could equally be wrong on it!
    there were definitely significant issues down around the railway crossing and tbh it looked pretty unusable for all but the more leisurely cyclists. certainly if commuting / out training etc there's no way you'd be inclined to cross the road so many times.

the one thing that annoys me (annoys might not be exactly the right word) about something like this is that it highlights the absolute dearth of proper cycling infrastructure. similarly with the coast path from Sutton to Fairview, it's incredible how relaxing the cycle path is compared to re-entering the bear-pit on East Wall Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I think it might have been proposed that there would be a crossing from the coast side at the roundabout to join with this stretch, as well as the multiple crossings between there and Sutton.

but I'm working off something that I looked over a few months back so could equally be wrong on it!
    there were definitely significant issues down around the railway crossing and tbh it looked pretty unusable for all but the more leisurely cyclists. certainly if commuting / out training etc there's no way you'd be inclined to cross the road so many times.

the one thing that annoys me (annoys might not be exactly the right word) about something like this is that it highlights the absolute dearth of proper cycling infrastructure. similarly with the coast path from Sutton to Fairview, it's incredible how relaxing the cycle path is compared to re-entering the bear-pit on East Wall Road.

Never a truer word spoken.

On the subject ....... how much was spent on that 'cycle bridge' there at Fairview over the canal. What were they thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

The part where it joins back to the road near the Portmarnock roundabout needs to be done correctly.
    A dangerous bend there with drivers generally speeding both ways.

Also could they not extend the bridge over Moyne river to over Moyne Rd?
    Or do I need to wake up?

mathie wrote: »
    The part where it joins back to the road near the Portmarnock roundabout needs to be done correctly.

Or do I need to wake up?

you're wide awake! the bridge is just over the river and it's a raised toucan crossing on Moyne road...

• Advertisement

mathie wrote: »

Or do I need to wake up?
    Screen_Shot_2018_02_07_at_16_57_11.png
    image upload

The purple shows the "toucan" (where do they get these names?) signalised junction. So, it will be safe definitely.

A bridge over Mayne rd. would be a massive cost, a bit ott in my opinion.

Advertisement