Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sutton to Malahide Greenway

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

plodder wrote: »
    The purple shows the "toucan" (where do they get these names?)
    two can cross; i.e. a pedestrian and a cyclist, side by side.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

great to see this getting going.

but, to add to the list of head scratchers, why are they pretending that the short section from the thatch cottage to red arches roundabaout doesnt need any work?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I spotted construction work on the strand road near the roundabout.

Is it part of this project?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

site_owner wrote: »
    great to see this getting going.

but, to add to the list of head scratchers, why are they pretending that the short section from the thatch cottage to red arches roundabaout doesnt need any work?

I think it will be part of the larger development of the greenway. This bit is just to prioritise the narrow, twisty, no-footpath stretch between the two roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Never a truer word spoken.

On the subject ....... how much was spent on that 'cycle bridge' there at Fairview over the canal. What were they thinking?

Do you mean the humpback bridge near the the five lamps? That was definitely a big fat waste of money - unless they plan to build a cycle lane leading up to it everybody is just going to stick to the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Do you mean the humpback bridge near the the five lamps? That was definitely a big fat waste of money - unless they plan to build a cycle lane leading up to it everybody is just going to stick to the road.

They do.

edit: here you go: http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/Planning/Documents/150522%20Phase%202_Section%201.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

buffalo wrote: »

I presume that's all part of the eventual plan for the Royal Canal greenway? I'm from Athlone so would be something else to be able to hop on there and basically stay away from the road the whole way down to Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I presume that's all part of the eventual plan for the Royal Canal greenway? I'm from Athlone so would be something else to be able to hop on there and basically stay away from the road the whole way down to Athlone.

Yes, that's it alright.

Some links and info at http://royalcanal.ie/royal-canal-greenway/

DCC: http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning-planning-news/royal-canal-greenway-part-8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Great to see the "greenway" from Baldoyle to Portmarnock but we'll be going from zero points where we've to yield to two points. Waiting on pedestrian lights (if the ones from the coast road to the Baldoyle rd are anything to go by) is a major pain in this country.
    For a stretch that normally take a few minutes (depending on the wind) that's not great.

I know some will say its "safer" but I don't know. I guess we'll see how its actually implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

mathie wrote: »
    Great to see the "greenway" from Baldoyle to Portmarnock but we'll be going from zero points where we've to yield to two points. Waiting on pedestrian lights (if the ones from the coast road to the Baldoyle rd are anything to go by) is a major pain in this country.
    For a stretch that normally take a few minutes (depending on the wind) that's not great.

I know some will say its "safer" but I don't know. I guess we'll see how its actually implemented.

I see the concern, but I just don't see how it would have been possible without these crossing/entry points. I would hope that whatever lights there are at Moyne Road would give priority to pedestrians and cyclists. This should mean that people of all ages can now get between Baldoyle and Portmarnock. As it stands only the hardcore will brave that stretch, even in daylight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

mathie wrote: »

The Moyne Road junction map shows a 'raised table' at the junction. That will presumably mean that cars travelling north and turning left won't just sweep the turn at speed but will instead need to slow. Most of the other traffic should be easy enough. I would like to see the left turn radius be very tight to further force slowing on the turn.
    I see the concern, but I just don't see how it would have been possible without these crossing/entry points. I would hope that whatever lights there are at Moyne Road would give priority to pedestrians and cyclists.
    If they're implemented like the lights at the Wooden Bridge at Clontarf, not a hope. The only time I've seen those green for cyclists is some time after somebody pressed the pedestrian button and walked on after getting impatient. They don't even include a cyclist phase when the side road gets a green!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

plodder wrote: »
    the "toucan" (where do they get these names?)
    two can cross; i.e. a pedestrian and a cyclist, side by side.

Also a back-formation from Pelican Crossing - PEdestrian LIght CONtrolled Crossing, and Puffin Crossing - Pedestrian User Friendly INtelligent crossing.

[/trivia factoid] :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

cdaly_ wrote: »
    If they're implemented like the lights at the Wooden Bridge at Clontarf, not a hope. The only time I've seen those green for cyclists is some time after somebody pressed the pedestrian button and walked on after getting impatient. They don't even include a cyclist phase when the side road gets a green!

A can dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I see the concern, but I just don't see how it would have been possible without these crossing/entry points. I would hope that whatever lights there are at Moyne Road would give priority to pedestrians and cyclists. This should mean that people of all ages can now get between Baldoyle and Portmarnock. As it stands only the hardcore will brave that stretch, even in daylight.

I went that way on Saturday at about 10:00 and must have had about 10 close passes. It's a crazy stretch of road

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Public consultation on the baldoyle stretch begins next week.

Edit: I'm going to head to the consultation. I'm happy to pass on any suggestions/concerns boardsies have while I'm there?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

Sorry to bump. I see this has begun getting traction again. The mayor of Fingal said he hopes to compete the Greenway first stage from Malahide to Donabate by 2022.

He said he hopes to eventually extend it from Sutton to Balbriggan.

Will this follow the train tracks along Rogerstown Estuary? Thus allowing people to cycle from Lusk into the Greenway or will it bypass the area totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

TK Lemon wrote: »
    Sorry to bump. I see this has begun getting traction again. The mayor of Fingal said he hopes to compete the Greenway first stage from Malahide to Donabate by 2022.

He said he hopes to eventually extend it from Sutton to Balbriggan.

Will this follow the train tracks along Rogerstown Estuary? Thus allowing people to cycle from Lusk into the Greenway or will it bypass the area totally.
    Yeah it goes across the causeway with the train

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Yeah it goes across the causeway with the train

Thanks for the reply. :)
    I know it comes across the Malahide Donabate one but does it also go across Donabate to Rush/Lusk?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

TK Lemon wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. :)
    I know it comes across the Malahide Donabate one but does it also go across Donabate to Rush/Lusk?
    No, the route is from Malahide Castle to Newbridge House. But, long term the plan is to go to Balbriggan, so there will be a crossing of Rogerstown as well I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

There was a preliminary consultation a few months on the Donabate to Balbriggan route. The outline maps indicated that they are thinking of running the Greenway alongside the railway at Rogerstown, similar to Broadmeadows. An earlier report had mentioned a possible bridge from the Burrow, Portrane to near Rush Harbour but that seems to have been dropped now. It's still at a very early stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

This route could be a real boon, it can be a very nice spin on a sunny day as is apart from the traffic. If there was a car free option with diversions down to nice towns like rush it could rival the greenway, plenty of train options back to the city too

Advertisement