Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do Irish Water get their info from?

• 18-10-2017 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

We recently moved into a new house (an old house, new to us!) About 3 or 4 weeks after moving in a letter arrives in the post addressed to the missus from Irish Water saying we believe you have recently moved in here and we are registering you as a customer (or words to that effect).

My question is simply this - who told them?
    And who else does this mystery person inform?
    For what reason?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

They have a talk to forum on here could try ask there, does seem bit odd alright

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1643

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

mostly pieces of paper they find on the ground, other than that local snitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain That Rules from the Centre of the Ultraworld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Hidden cameras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Google tells them, or Facebook, or CIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There would have been paperwork generated by solicitors regarding having paid water bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

joe stodge wrote: »
    mostly pieces of paper they find on the ground, other than that local snitches.

And what do snitches get children, st.. st.. stich... stiches - that's right!
    Victor wrote: »
    There would have been paperwork generated by solicitors regarding having paid water bills.

Not on my behalf they didn't - I never paid one. And they no longer existed when I bought the house, it was only a couple of months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Local authority maybe - did she register to vote at the new address?

You can always ring them and ask.

Not on my behalf they didn't - I never paid one. And they no longer existed when I bought the house, it was only a couple of months ago.
    Irrelevant. Your solicitor will have sent the vendors solicitor a letter asking "Were Irish Water charges paid?". The vendors solicitor would have sent a letter back saying "Yes, here's the certificate from Irish Water", etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

About 13 years ago, my ex bought a house. Within a week of moving in, the TV licence inspector called to the door asking if she bought her licence. She didn't know how they got the information, and so quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

About 13 years ago, my ex bought a house. Within a week of moving in, the TV licence inspector called to the door asking if she bought her licence. She didn't know how they got the information, and so quickly.

I'd say that was just a coincidence, they do rounds and knock on doors.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Tea leaves and 'sources'

Victor wrote: »
    Irrelevant. Your solicitor will have sent the vendors solicitor a letter asking "Were Irish Water charges paid?". The vendors solicitor would have sent a letter back saying "Yes, here's the certificate from Irish Water", etc.

Why though? Water charges had already been abolished, it made no difference whether they had been paid or not, and who else do they inform?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

From one of the local wells I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Chinese Lantern.

It's the only plausible explanation.

seamus wrote: »
    Local authority maybe - did she register to vote at the new address?

You can always ring them and ask.

No haven't registered to vote or anything like that. Changed the electricity and gas, nothing else.

I'm not overly concerned or anything, I'm just wondering where they got the info? It wasn't addressed to the occupier or anything like that, it named my missus. Neither of us gave any information to them, this time or for the last address - bills came out in my name that time.
    Possibly the solicitor, but I don't see why they would, or should for that matter.

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Chinese Lantern.

It's the only plausible explanation.

So that's what they're for.

Another mystery checked off the list:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

While you may have not given them the info directly, your name(s) are already tied to the property in many places, not least from mail that's been received through An Post, Revenue, TV licences, etc. Someone didn't snitch on you, they got it from one of the multiple places you've given your name and new address.

Ring them up and ask them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

While you may have not given them the info directly, your name(s) are already tied to the property in many places, not least from mail that's been received through An Post, Revenue, TV licences, etc. Someone didn't snitch on you, they got it from one of the multiple places you've given your name and new address.

Since this is After Hours, I will suggest that they got it from the private security company who were doing a "will we let them move in here or do we need to top them off" check on behalf of your prospective new neighbours.

But if this was any other forum, I'd just agree with Seamus.

Ring them up and ask them.

No way. They can hypnotise you over the phone into agreeing to pay. Paul Murphy told me that.

Aren't all these other crowds supposed to keep your info to themselves?
    Someone clearly did snitch - it's just a matter of who!

• Advertisement

The previous owner likely changed over their own licence. That, or the post man registered the new occupant. Realise that it is An Post that that enforce the TV licence.
    Why though? Water charges had already been abolished, it made no difference whether they had been paid or not, and who else do they inform?
    Mainstream charges abolished. Charges for excess use not abolished.

Advertisement