Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rain - Munster & Leinster - Thu 19 October

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

23mm so far here north east of Kilkenny City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I've been watching the rainfall radar today and it's almost as if there is largely an umbrella hole over the city for most of the day. Very odd.
    Wet enough with dense fine rain in the SE of the county, but it does indeed look drier elsewhere. I've often thought I've seen a similar pattern on the radar before - wonder if it's at least partly a rain-shadow effect from the Dublin+Wicklow hills when the wind has a southerly component?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Been in the shadow of the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains all day. Only 1mm recorded

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Loads of roads closed in South Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

pad199207 wrote: »
    The weather gods must have something in for Cork lately

They tried to stop Cork City winning the league with a hurricane.
    That didn't work.
    Now they're working petty vengeance with rain.
    The joke is on them: my socks are all dry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

22.8mm here near Tralee. Raining most of the day until it brightened up around 16.00,. Much windier now with a few passing showers.

Rain has now reached here and it’s bucketing down in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Danno wrote: »
    Just 3.1mm (AWS gauge - which can sometimes over-record a little) in South Laois as of 11am - it's been raining since around 7am.

Unless we see a few downpours gather and move in over us, we'll probably escape with around 10mm -> 15mm

Well, they surely have - unusual rainfall here in south Laois, heavy drizzle and normal rain together giving quite a drenching. This reminds me of the type of rain they get in southern England at times.

AWS now reporting 30.5mm

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

29mm so far here in north east Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Have 4.0mm now, most of that in the last hour when it was heavy at times. It's 12.7C now so not a great change in temperature over the day; the high was 14.3C, the low was 11.9C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Strong persistent rain in laois now the last hour,heavy flooding on local roads and hazardous driving conditions.Ive just wrecked my new shoes from penny's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Ive just wrecked my new shoes from penny's.

The suffering continues....

Drove through Cork city earlier, river very high and patches of flooding in locality. Centerpark Rd flooded. Ok for a jeep for now but wouldn't risk it with regular car.

The suffering continues....

Drove through Cork city earlier, river very high and patches of flooding in locality. Centerpark Rd flooded. Ok for a jeep for now but wouldn't risk it with regular car.

Is that the road where the trees came down one by one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yeah that's the road. It's near Pairc Ui Caoimh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Yup that's the one. Not sure if they cleared them yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

A pretty non-descript event in Dublin. A bit of rain this evening, and not even that heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Friend of mine texted there from Mitchelstown. Said it's crazy out there with debris flying and wind nearly as bad as Monday. She's not one given to drama...doesn't seem to be in forecast tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Windy enough in the south alright. 8pm reports. Cork Airport gusting 40 knots and Roaches point 43 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Windy enough in the south alright. 8pm reports. Cork Airport gusting 40 knots and Roaches point 43 knots

Probably lots of loose stuff from Monday too flying around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Trebor176 wrote: »
    A pretty non-descript event in Dublin. A bit of rain this evening, and not even that heavy.
    Dublin gets a notable event once every 100 years. Come down to Munster if ye want some proper weather :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Friend of mine texted there from Mitchelstown. Said it's crazy out there with debris flying and wind nearly as bad as Monday. She's not one given to drama...doesn't seem to be in forecast tho...

I'm the other side of Mitchelstown towards east Limerick and yes the wind is gusting atm. Rainfall has been very heavy all day. Not looking forward to tmrw / Saturday and storm Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Burts Bee wrote:

Windy /inclement enough to knock out the electricity in Mountmellick again.
    Thankfully belly full and house warm. A lot of rain falling all day here.

EDIT Caused by a local man crashing into a pole. Thankfully in hospital but ok now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Rain bucketing down in Tullamore

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Wet evening in meath, the field beside house is flooded, now its in on the driveway heading for the house, p*ss off rain

Brief burst of heavy rain herein Kildare, total 6mm now, getting much windier

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Really strong gusts in Cork (WIlton area). Rain seems to have died off, just a slight mist every now and then but I am guessing it will be back again soon with Brian. The gusts seem strong enough to knock out power again, my lights flickered with the last few!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Very strong w/sw gusts alongside the waterofrdncoast over the past couple of hours. Wasn't expecting it to be so rough. Trees are being blown in the opposite direction as Ophelia.

Tomorrow night should be interesting!

The rain total here for the day was only 5.2mm and the wind was very light.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Some day of rain. It poured all day here in Clonmel. Big flood in the Suir tonight and the road are flooded

• Advertisement

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    The rain total here for the day was only 5.2mm and the wind was very light.

The wind picked up around midnight for a few hours. Light again now.

Advertisement