Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donut shops, EVERYWHERE!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

There was one at the bottom of Grafton st also. I never understood why they closed. Ireland's love for real coffee hadn't really taken off at that point so maybe that was part of it.

I also have a really vague memory of there being one in the Square in Tallaght when way back in the earl 90s, may well be wrong though. I would have thought the brand name and novelty of only 1-2 locations would have been enough in itself, especially with appeal to kids even from movies or TV shows etc when I was 5-6 I was well aware what Dunkin Donuts was.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I also have a really vague memory of there being one in the Square in Tallaght when way back in the earl 90s, may well be wrong though. I would have thought the brand name and novelty of only 1-2 locations would have been enough in itself, especially with appeal to kids even from movies or TV shows etc when I was 5-6 I was well aware what Dunkin Donuts was.

I think the key thing here was not the donuts (Boston Creme's were just gorgeous) - it was the lack of coffee sales.

With Grafton st rents you just wouldn't make it profitable by just selling donuts alone; you need the coffee sales to go with them; that's where the profit was and there just wasn't enough coffee aficionados around back then.

Also, the Celtic tiger hadn't taken off at that point. Going out for lunch was seen as a luxury in most offices at the time. people brought their lunches in with them (I know many still do but back then it was most people) and coffee was Nescafe or Maxwell house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

DaveyDave wrote: »
    There was a nice one in Arnotts that to be fair was the freshest I've had but it's gone, because we don't need donuts on every corner.

The ones in Arnott's were pop ups only. Aungier Danger followed by something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 simonphoto

Yes popping up like wild fire. Just like Dunkin Donuts in the 90's. Give it a year and see how many are left. They'll be replaced by the next fad. Potato Smoothie shops is my guess

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

_Dara_ wrote: »
    What Ireland do you live in? People have long since moved outside that template. “Gourmet” donuts are just gussied up things that look a lot better than they taste. And having a discerning palette is what would help someone realise that. ;)

You obviously never had a blueberry crumble in the Dunkin Donut shop in Rathgar. To that you average Irish ring or jam donut is like Waynetta Slob to Posh Spice. And sadly the shop went around the time that reference was relevant. :D
    So yes, the Ireland I refer to was in the dark ages. All that fancy stuff is only around since the Noughties. Before that takeaway coffee at petrol stations was some Maxwell House in a Styrofoam cup. Lids hadn't been invented.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

****e riddled with palm oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I hope they do, I have fond memories of the lunch deals in the one on Grafton St back in the day. Remember the THICK doorstep bread they used for their sandwiches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Lots of Dunkin Donuts in Spain, really surprised someone isn't franchising one in Dublin.

The coffee is great though. Very popular in the states, the fact that many people swear on it Vs corporate Starbucks is surprising. I lived on it when in Orlando for two weeks.

Brought back a bag of the stuff to try, French Vanilla for the coffee press, amazing stuff. Their original blend is lovely too. Wish I knew people going to the US to get me more, I've had 6 bags of their coffee this year! Well over a month out of an $8 bag.

My ma used to work at the one in The Square, fond memories of her bringing back boxes of left over donuts as a kid :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I remember Dunkin‘ Donuts in Dublin. They came here around 1992 and pulled out about 1997. Ireland was just not ready for them at the time. As someone else opined, the coffee culture had yet to take off and having lunch in a cafe on a workday was a special treat, not the norm like it is now.

There would certainly be demand for Dunkin‘ Donuts now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

DaveyDave wrote: »
    many people swear on it Vs corporate Starbucks

As opposed to small independent Dunkin Donuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Every now and then one of our clients sends in a few boxes of cronuts for the staff. Bun fight does not even begin to describe it. All sense of propriety goes out the window. Many a time I've had to make so with the scrapings of icing from the hastily emptied box. They're epic treats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

You obviously never had a blueberry crumble in the Dunkin Donut shop in Rathgar. To that you average Irish ring or jam donut is like Waynetta Slob to Posh Spice. And sadly the shop went around the time that reference was relevant. :D
    So yes, the Ireland I refer to was in the dark ages. All that fancy stuff is only around since the Noughties. Before that takeaway coffee at petrol stations was some Maxwell House in a Styrofoam cup. Lids hadn't been invented.

I’ve had an Aungier Danger blueberry donut. Twas a disappointment. C’mon, blueberry hasn’t been a high falutin’ foodstuff in Ireland for a loooong time now. Blueberry muffins have been on these shores since the ‘90s. Nobody wonders at the blueberry. People might actually just, ya know, not really like them? Crazy, I know!

And sorry but a freshly-fried sugared ring donut is a thing of beauty and beats that Aungier Danger blueberry one I had any day. More simple doesn’t mean inferior. It’s actually easier to mask mediocrity the more ingredients there are. Simplicity has nowhere to hide.

I think Dunkin’ Donuts would do well though. Much more reasonable prices than the gourmet donut places and a more simple, classic product line.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

My missus got me a vegan donut yesterday, it was delicious.
    I. F*cking. Love. At. Least. One. Type. Of. Vegan. Donut.

....yes, it was from one of the new pop up shops :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

Peatys wrote: »
    The donut bubble had to burst sooner or later...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

Does anyone know where to get a gluten free donut?

The missis is a coeliac and I know she'd love to get one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

joe stodge wrote: »
    The donut bubble had to burst sooner or later...

They've come full circle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Places in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

davo2001 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where to get a gluten free donut?

The missis is a coeliac and I know she'd love to get one!

Antoinette's Bakery looks to be the only place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Most of these recent Irish places make a bad donut. It's more like a cake than anything. Not one fried option anywhere either. The majority also have the same cream based filling, but with different flavouring. About 10 things on or in them also, which is just pure muck. They also think bigger is better when it mostly isn't.

Simple and human sized does the trick.

If Krispy Kreme or Dunkin came in they would make a killing as they actually know what they are doing.

Off topic a little, but - As for the best tasting donut, this crowd in Philadelphia make the best donut you will ever have - https://www.beilersdoughnuts.com/menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Antoinette's Bakery looks to be the only place.

Closed now, unfortunately.

🤪

^ KK are coming soon.

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Closed now, unfortunately.

That's a shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Mokuba wrote: »
    Most of these recent Irish places make a bad donut. It's more like a cake than anything. Not one fried option anywhere either. The majority also have the same cream based filling, but with different flavouring. About 10 things on or in them also, which is just pure muck. They also think bigger is better when it mostly isn't.

Simple and human sized does the trick.

If Krispy Kreme or Dunkin came in they would make a killing as they actually know what they are doing.

Off topic a little, but - As for the best tasting donut, this crowd in Philadelphia make the best donut you will ever have - https://www.beilersdoughnuts.com/menu.

Dunkin were here at one stage. I worked for them for a short while. Never got the big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I've now got a hankerin' for a cake donut. they were always my favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

conorhal wrote: »
    And that depressing time has come!

https://lovin.ie/travel-food/cities/cork/brace-yourselves-a-doughnut-burger-is-now-available-in-ireland

Still better than the annoying cupcakes fad of a few years ago.

Having a heart-attack just looking at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Dunkin were here at one stage. I worked for them for a short while. Never got the big deal.

Decent coffee and a regular sized, nice tasting, simple enough donut that you don't need 2 hands to hold or 2 pages on which to list the toppings and fillings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I worked in Boston for a summer, my breakfast was always a coffee and two coconut donuts from Dunkin Donuts. Loved it, the donuts that weren't full of cream were not too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I remember dunkin donuts in rathmines.....

Didn't last very long from what I remember.

Coffee shops seem to be the big trend and growing.

I see a lot of these doughnut shops get deliveries from same white vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭lemmno

I remember dunkin donuts in rathmines.....

Didn't last very long from what I remember.

Coffee shops seem to be the big trend and growing.

I see a lot of these doughnut shops get deliveries from same white vans.

So do these shops not bake the donuts on site? Or are they all getting delivered in from big factories somewhere every morning? Could it be then that the rolling donut and off beat are supplied by the same baker?

lemmno wrote: »
    So do these shops not bake the donuts on site? Or are they all getting delivered in from big factories somewhere every morning? Could it be then that the rolling donut and off beat are supplied by the same baker?

From what ive seen its all delivered in.

Could well be same factory or bakery for some.

No wonder they’re everywhere then, if all they’re doing is buying and reselling. No huge fixed asset costs and less overheads with the goods being baked using someone else’s electricity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Well, Aungier Danger doesn't bake on-site but they do have their own baking facility, AFAIK.

• Advertisement

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Well, Aungier Danger doesn't bake on-site but they do have their own baking facility, AFAIK.

Ah so they are baking their own donuts, just elsewhere. Dammit...I knew this fool proof business plan had to have a flaw in it somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

They certainly all taste the same that's for sure. Nobody is selling anything unique. An overpriced donut and a crap coffee for €4-5?
    Mokuba wrote: »
    Decent coffee and a regular sized, nice tasting, simple enough donut that you don't need 2 hands to hold or 2 pages on which to list the toppings and fillings.
    Ipso wrote: »
    I worked in Boston for a summer, my breakfast was always a coffee and two coconut donuts from Dunkin Donuts. Loved it, the donuts that weren't full of cream were not too much.

These posts sum it up nicely. I started every morning with a Dunkin Donuts iced coffee when in Orlando for two weeks, I wouldn't always get a donut at breakfast but the odd evening we'd grab a box of 6 for $4 and there was a nice range to choose from..

Some days while taking a break from the theme parks for dinner we'd grab another iced coffee for going back to the parks for the evening.

I brought a bag of their french vanilla coffee home with me for the coffee press and it's actually quite nice. Their original blend isn't bad either.

They seem to try too hard over here, it's like they're trying to just get social media attention with the likes of the crap Lovin Dublin posts, when in reality it feels like your heart has stopped and you feel like crap afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Haha 4 usd for 6 donuts what part of the state's is that ?.

Where I am nitro iced coffee is 6 USD for one I nearly die paying that much for a coffee.

I can think you this in sd a cookie is between 2 to 3 usd. One scoop of ice cream is 5 USD ice cream is so cheap in Ireland compare to this.

And a take out samdwitch is 12 usd the next person who tells me cork is over priced I am going to slap them on the head with sowmthing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I went into Supervalu today and bought one of those Oreo flavoured doughnuts one with a bit of change I had, tasted bloody awful, and they were 4 quid odd each! Whereas you could get a bag of 5 decent jam doughnuts for 1.50, I don't understand people. 20 euro for a box of 6 doughnuts!

Some of them are nice but the profits must be huge.

Recession well and truly over.

Only thing is when we go to get a doughnut in a few years they will be all gone.

• Advertisement

I went into Supervalu today and bought one of those Oreo flavoured doughnuts one with a bit of change I had, tasted bloody awful, and they were 4 quid odd each! Whereas you could get a bag of 5 decent jam doughnuts for 1.50, I don't understand people. 20 euro for a box of 6 doughnuts!

Those Supervalu ones are terrible. In fact all the Supervalu baked goods I’ve tried have tasted like mass produced cheap s****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Those of you who mentioned Dunkin Donuts are obviously too young to remember.
    We had the shops in Dublin in the 90's and they flopped. Grafton st, Janelle SC in Finglas, rathmines, the square and UCD
    They moved to petrol stations in the guise of "on the run" @esso and failed again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

^^that was 20 years ago though.

Ireland, and Irish people, have changed a lot since then. I liked Dunkin's.

Although tbh, I don't seem them ever proliferating here like they have in the states, or indeed like Starbucks and Costa have over here. I do think that a few judiciously placed units, serving sandwiches and good coffee as well as doughnuts would probably do well enough. They should be well spaced out and not on every corner. That's what will kill them: oversaturation. A shop in each of the larger shopping centres would be fine I think.

And again, tastes change. They might get a good run for a decade, and then things change again and we're all back to knocking back wheatgrass shots :D:D

https://youtu.be/FSvNhxKJJyU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭lightspeed

I was walking through city centre Dublin earlier and I couldnt help but notice about 5 new doughnut shops

Why?

I saw on facebook that the american doughnut shop krispykreme opened up a store in Dublin. Was this already trending before that or have other companies seen this and decided that they should copy and paste yet more American ****e here?

We seem to have become more americanised throughout the past decade. First black Friday despite us here having no reason to give a **** about thanksgiving here in Ireland.

Now this seems to be the latest hipster trend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Cork is mad for them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Mmmmmmmmmmm Donuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The mad thing is, most of the ones I pass regularly seem to be doing f all business. So what gives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

lightspeed wrote: »
    I was walking through city centre Dublin earlier and I couldnt help but notice about 5 new doughnut shops

Why?

I saw on facebook that the american doughnut shop krispykreme opened up a store in Dublin. Was this already trending before that or have other companies seen this and decided that they should copy and paste yet more American ****e here?

We seem to have become more americanised throughout the past decade. First black Friday despite us here having no reason to give a **** about thanksgiving here in Ireland.

Now this seems to be the latest hipster trend.

Where is the Krispykreme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Donuts are so December 4th, if you're not eating cronuts then you're a mainstream sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
Advertisement