Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

43 inch 4k tv

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

hey guys...

what do you think of this?

baring in mind i dont watch much tv, but it will be a step up from my 32 inch 1080p tv :)

worth the money?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7526305/Trail/searchtext%3EGREAT+DEALS+ON+SELECTED+4K+TELEVISIONS.htm

Get this instead
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/lg-49uj701v-49-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv/343278/397.0.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

Dunno why that poster is recommending you spend half again on a different TV (but his link does have affiliate in it).

The hisense is a very good TV. I have the 50", bought from RicherSounds. Great to deal with and they offer a 6 year wareant y on most TVs. You could see if they price match for you, they have a forum on boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

I was keeping eye on the Sony XE83. Unfortunately didn't jump when price was at the lowest. Would people rate the TV? Was looking at the LG but the boss thinks the TV was too thick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vidapura

Hi,
    I've been eyeing up 43" tvs for a while now..
    From what I've read what matters a lot is

- the panel type
    - the backlight
    - local dimming or not

The Hisense has a VA panel, which wouldn't be fantastic.. apparently IPS is the best (if you don't go for expensive OLED)
    The backlighting in the price range (400 - 600) seems to all be side lit...
    Adn local dimming is rare...(again in this price range)

So I'm leaning towards the 4k LG that they have in DID ...

https://www.did.ie/lg-43-ultra-hd-4k-tv-43uj634v-prd

Its a hundred more expensive.. €529 ..but has an IPS panel, and HDR and says it has local dimming.

I've yet to go see it in the flesh tho.. and to be honest I think you have to.. thats why I wouldn't go for the Hisense or the Philips from argos really.. yeh don't get a look at them first.

That LG is the 2017 model too.. and I think they do get better each year..

If you aren't massively convinced about the whole 4k thing.. (like me) then there is another LG .. "only" HD 1080p tho.. in lidl at €399 currently...

So I'm still in a bit of a quandry really.. most of what I watch would be rugby on live tv or movies.. and none of the rugby I have access to is broadcast in 4k HDR.. (I don't have sky sports like...I work off saorview or free satellite...)

I'd nearly buy a standard 1080p HD .. but they are just not that much cheaper than the newer 4k models...

Twould be a bit easier if I had a room that could take a 49" telly.. there seems to be any amount of them around...the 43" is almost out of fashion or something...

Might just hang on and see what black friday brings...

Actually VA is better for blacks and contrast than IPS
    IPS is better for veiwing angles.
    if the people who will be looking at the tv are looking fairly straight in the room setting on go for VA for the blacks and contrast advantages.
    IPS more suited to laptops and phones.

another thing is if the tv doesn't have enough peak brightness and contrast HDR will not be noticeable even if the tv says it has HDR.

rtings.com is a very good resource for tvs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Invincible

If I was upgrading to a 4K TV, I wouldn't look past this:
    https://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-ks7000-ue55ks7000-uhd-4k-tv-review.12659

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

OP asked about a TV costing €429 and people are recommending TVs at £2000

Check the name of the forum, its called BARGAIN ALERTS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's a bit small for a 4k tv in my opinion but seems reasonable price if it suits you.

RicherSounds have reps here on boards.ie. It would be worth asking them for a price for the same tv. They are always happy to give technical advice too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

vidapura wrote: »
    If you aren't massively convinced about the whole 4k thing.. (like me) then there is another LG .. "only" HD 1080p tho.. in lidl at €399 currently...

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6989541/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780832%7CTelevisions%7C14419667/Trail/searchtext>LG.htm

That's the LG from Lidl, more info on argos site.

I grabbed 1 the other day as my trusty old philips gave up. It's a decent TV, nice menu system. Only 2 hdmi and only digital audio out, also no net capabilities, but chromecast is enough for me. It has sat input so freeview without the sky box is handy, and the planner is grand.

Picture wise it's good, but not mind blowing. It claims to have 100hz with local dimming, and colours are vivid and true. My 8 year old philips 42pfl8404 has a superior picture, especially when it comes to motion.

For the price you won't beat the LG, but if it's going to be your main TV for 3+ years then I'd invest a little extra and pop over to the richer sounds thread and ask their advice.

Personally I'm waiting for the new philips 7 or 8 series Android TV's to come on the market. Once you get used to ambilight it's very hard to go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

What do people think of the new Element Amazon Fire TV, Not sure if available in Amazon UK Store yet but link here for US store.

https://www.amazon.com/Element-55-Inch-Ultra-Smart-LED/dp/B06XDC9RBJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭garyskeepers

campo wrote: »
    What do people think of the new Element Amazon Fire TV, Not sure if available in Amazon UK Store yet but link here for US store.

very nice tv,, doesnt ship to ireland or england though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭CWF

In the market for a TV similar to what's being posted here. Does black friday throw up some good deals usually Yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

CWF wrote: »
    In the market for a TV similar to what's being posted here. Does black friday throw up some food deals usually Yeah?

Lidl usually has good offers on TV dinners :)

CWF wrote: »
    In the market for a TV similar to what's being posted here. Does black friday throw up some good deals usually Yeah?

Its hit and miss.. yeh might see something, yeh might not.

There's a lot of crapola too like.. yeh have to keep a cool head... heh.. they hype the feck out of it and people get awful excited..

I do the ole pricewatching and then if something I'm interested is a better price on black friday I might grab it...

But there is a lot of hype too.. stuff I've seen was the same price as before, just pushed hard .. kinda thing..

campo wrote: »

Hmm.. its hard from that listing to tell much about the image quality... not mention of panel type or backlighting etc..

No doubting its connectivity tho.. heh..

Hey thats great feedback !
    I was wondering about the Lidl LG alright.. and you've told me all I need to know.
    Its kinda "yeh gets what yeh pays for" eh?

Interesting what you say bout the old tv being better...

I've a very old plasma and find it really hard to find a better picture on reasonably priced LED tvs..
    The plasma is SD only tho.. but it copes really well with whatever you throw at it and is simply great for sport.

But the lack of any HDMI connections (honest to god) is starting to be a problem...

I've been just trying not to spend too much on a new TV.. but it really looks like I'll have to go Sony to get anything as good...
    corsav6 wrote: »
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6989541/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780832%7CTelevisions%7C14419667/Trail/searchtext>LG.htm

That's the LG from Lidl, more info on argos site.

I grabbed 1 the other day as my trusty old philips gave up. It's a decent TV, nice menu system. Only 2 hdmi and only digital audio out, also no net capabilities, but chromecast is enough for me. It has sat input so freeview without the sky box is handy, and the planner is grand.

Picture wise it's good, but not mind blowing. It claims to have 100hz with local dimming, and colours are vivid and true. My 8 year old philips 42pfl8404 has a superior picture, especially when it comes to motion.

For the price you won't beat the LG, but if it's going to be your main TV for 3+ years then I'd invest a little extra and pop over to the richer sounds thread and ask their advice.

Personally I'm waiting for the new philips 7 or 8 series Android TV's to come on the market. Once you get used to ambilight it's very hard to go back.

Any thoughts on this TV?

SONY BRAVIA KD43XE8396 43" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV

Don't think I can post links to websites.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Might just hang on and see what black friday brings...

out of interest who's best for black friday TV deals....Harvey Norman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Any thoughts on this TV?

SONY BRAVIA KD43XE8396 43" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV

Don't think I can post links to websites.

What's stopping you?

Yamanoto wrote:
    What's stopping you?

Try to post via mobile app. But posts won't appear.

• Advertisement

philstar wrote: »
    out of interest who's best for black friday TV deals....Harvey Norman?

I dunno really.. I just normally have a root around to see whats available...

I ended up buying this 43"

http://www.currys.ie/Product/lg-43uj701v-43-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv/343183/409.5

And I'm very happy with it so far (only got it last night...)

Picture is very good in my opinion.. its an IPS panel so the viewing angles are good.

Saorview channels are hit and miss cos some are HD and some aren't... but thats saorviews problem I suppose..
    The non HD ones are a bit 'soft' but watchable..RTE1 and 2 are HD and look smashin..

Meseff and the missus were really impressed with the Smart bits of it too.. she was thrilled to be able to cast phone videos to it over the wifi.
    I was amazed to find not only a saorview tuner but a feckin Satellite tuner too !!
    I have the free satellite up to this via an old sky box.. but this is brill.. great guide and all that...

Being able to install the RTE Player was a real crowd pleaser.. very happy that works..

So far so good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

I ended up buying this 43"

http://www.currys.ie/Product/lg-43uj701v-43-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv/343183/409.5

And I'm very happy with it so far (only got it last night...)

Picture is very good in my opinion.. its an IPS panel so the viewing angles are good.

Saorview channels are hit and miss cos some are HD and some aren't... but thats saorviews problem I suppose..
    The non HD ones are a bit 'soft' but watchable..RTE1 and 2 are HD and look smashin..

Meseff and the missus were really impressed with the Smart bits of it too.. she was thrilled to be able to cast phone videos to it over the wifi.
    I was amazed to find not only a saorview tuner but a feckin Satellite tuner too !!
    I have the free satellite up to this via an old sky box.. but this is brill.. great guide and all that...

Being able to install the RTE Player was a real crowd pleaser.. very happy that works..

So far so good...
    Not your model, but try these settings to improve the picture some. I just setup my sisters 49" using this and it made the picture a hell of a lot better, it will do her for now. I'll play with the settings a bit more at the weekend to see if I can get it better. http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uj6300/settings

Thanks @deco nate !
    I'll try those tonight..

I'm actually a bit unhappy with the picture in some circumstances... I'm trying to figure out how to describe whats wrong..

Its not all channels.. or content.. still have to tie it down a bit more..

But what I'm seeing is.. its . jerky? Like its speeded up a bit..
    Feels like the processor in the TV is having trouble keeping up so its dropping frames...
    People in scenes seem to scuttle about rapidly.. rather than walk smoothly across the scene ?

Does that make any sense?

Its not all content.. most live stuff is fine.. its sitcoms or movies that I see this with mainly ( I think.. )
    (so.. prerecorded stuff?)

I'm thinkin it might only be off the satellite tuner ? But I'm not 100% certain..
    Planning on connecting my old satellite box to see if that is any better/worse.

On another front.. on the satellite tuner.. I'm missing Film4 and Dave .. that I was getting from my old non-subscribed Sky box...
    Any clues as to why those channels wouldn't have come up i the auto tune?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I know some TV shows are sped up slightly in order to accommodate ads could that be it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Thanks @deco nate !
    I'll try those tonight..

I'm actually a bit unhappy with the picture in some circumstances... I'm trying to figure out how to describe whats wrong..

Its not all channels.. or content.. still have to tie it down a bit more..

But what I'm seeing is.. its . jerky? Like its speeded up a bit..
    Feels like the processor in the TV is having trouble keeping up so its dropping frames...
    People in scenes seem to scuttle about rapidly.. rather than walk smoothly across the scene ?

Does that make any sense?

Its not all content.. most live stuff is fine.. its sitcoms or movies that I see this with mainly ( I think.. )
    (so.. prerecorded stuff?)

I'm thinkin it might only be off the satellite tuner ? But I'm not 100% certain..
    Planning on connecting my old satellite box to see if that is any better/worse.

On another front.. on the satellite tuner.. I'm missing Film4 and Dave .. that I was getting from my old non-subscribed Sky box...
    Any clues as to why those channels wouldn't have come up i the auto tune?

Thanks
    That's the motion software on the TV that's doing that. They go through that in the link I put up. As for film4 and Dave they should be there, try another scan. Should be on the list

Yah,
    On the channels bit.. well, I am showing my newbieness around satellite.. I let the TV tune into whatever satellite it wanted.. and got astra 19 or something .. found this thread on boards here..

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101577605

..and have now started retuning to Astra 28.2 ... and so far its found about 150 more channels than it had before.. heh...
    Will be interesting to see what I get when its finished...

Ohhk!!!

So... changing satellite seems to have fixed an awful lot of the picture problems...
    Maybe that was it.. just a crap satellite signal...

Might get to trying out those settings now if the wee fella stays asleep for another half hour...
    Otherwise twill be later tonight...

Advertisement