Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is TY too early to begin studying for the LC

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Perhaps, but as you get older you'll probably come to realise that "common sense" is an oxymoron, in that it isn't especially common at all! ;)

Interesting, haven't seen anybody describe "common sense" as an oxymoron. I see it so often used - including by myself - that it becomes a cliché.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

TY in me and sryanbruen's school lacks focus.
    I know self-motivation is important, but we are given too many subjects, which may be an advantage for the unmotivated, but make things egregious for the motivated students (like me) who already know their future career. There are pointless (from a personal future career standpoint) subjects that I am forced to do, including Food Safety (2 hours of my wasted time every Wednesday) and History (which I already did, on to Music now). I just want to work on my Mini-Company business and do the subjects I enjoy like Maths and the 3 core sciences, but I can still cope with school's problems, which shows my high attendance. I have been absent for just 1 day this year, on 27 September, while I have had a 100% attendance record last year (minus dentist/orthodontist appointments involving my retainer, which I will hopefully stop using next Wednesday).

Lack of focus isn't just a TY problem, it's a problem with Irish schools in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

... including Food Safety (2 hours of my wasted time every Wednesday)
    Being slightly facetious here, I'll admit, but when you're in self-catering accom in college years those Food Safety hours might stand to you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 twiz

Yeah I found classes a waste of time in TY - try spend as much time out of class, especially if you're good at self-motivation!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gg820

twiz wrote: »
    Just on the main topic of this thread -

Tbh I would put all effort into getting the most out of TY - getting experience outside school. Some aspects of the LC you could - and maybe should focus on - are languages and music if you do it, as these are subjects you really build on over time and are better not crammed into two years. But honestly, I would be doing my best to get the most out of TY, doing work experience, programmes etc. Whatever you do, don't stress about the LC yet. That would just be a huge waste of your year. Enjoy it!:)
    Thanks for the advice! I do do music and I have been practicing the piano more and more every day !

• Advertisement

I already own an LC Biology leaflet which I have scratched the surface of.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Celtron

Im in 6th year, not being cocky but always been naturally bright enough but trust me when I say I wish I put my time in ty to better use, you'll save yourself a lot of stress when it comes to 6th year trying to balance finishing your courses and revising 5th year material, not saying that its not doable because it is but it will be beneficial to you if that makes sense?

That's what I'm talking about. Get started with it ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭naxmax9

This is what I'm doing. In TY too. I already have 3 applied Maths Questions tackled. I've done a good bit of Physics, Chem, and Bio. Improving my French and Irish. Studying 2020 LC Poems for English. Learning the LC HL Maths topics. Have a LOT of Economics done.

I plan on doing Computer Science or Engineering in Uni.

AP Maths is pretty hard but I'm managing. I love Relative Velocity.

Physics is my all time favorite subject. So interesting

Chemistry is my least favorite Science but I still enjoy learning it. I like Science in general

Biology is great subject and a nice one to study

Mathematics HL is incredibly hard. THIS is the one subject you should at least look over a bit in TY

Irish is fine

English is my second favorite subject

And I like French too.

To be honest I didn't really do TY for TY. I did it to study for the LC. I'm not lying. I don't care about any of the TY activities. I did it to get 1 extra year to study for the LC. I HAVE to make sure I get enough points to do the course I want because I don't want to repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

naxmax9 wrote: »
    This is what I'm doing. In TY too. I already have 3 applied Maths Questions tackled. I've done a good bit of Physics, Chem, and Bio. Improving my French and Irish. Studying 2020 LC Poems for English. Learning the LC HL Maths topics. Have a LOT of Economics done.

I plan on doing Computer Science or Engineering in Uni.

AP Maths is pretty hard but I'm managing. I love Relative Velocity.

Physics is my all time favorite subject. So interesting

Chemistry is my least favorite Science but I still enjoy learning it. I like Science in general

Biology is great subject and a nice one to study

Mathematics HL is incredibly hard. THIS is the one subject you should at least look over a bit in TY

Irish is fine

English is my second favorite subject

And I like French too.

To be honest I didn't really do TY for TY. I did it to study for the LC. I'm not lying. I don't care about any of the TY activities. I did it to get 1 extra year to study for the LC. I HAVE to make sure I get enough points to do the course I want because I don't want to repeat

I did TY..... because I was forced to do it in my school. I wanted to move to another school just to skip TY.

• Advertisement
Advertisement