Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance increased 100%: Reason.. because they can

Options
  • 18-10-2017 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi, I'm just like to enquire whether the following is legal.

Our car was involved in an accident a while back, Rather then go through our insurance we decided to NOT. We have a case for GENUINE compensation in because of injuries received. The car was a right off. We borrowed money to fund a replacement, otherwise "No Car, No work" simple as.

Our insurance was up for renewal the end of last month, and even after we going out of our way to avoid an increase in Insurance cost by borrowing money to replace the car, pay for towing fees, storage etc, and NOT going through our Insurance they still came back with a quote which was a 100% increase on last year.

Apparently the "Dick" on the phone said he felt bad, that the reason for the increase is because we have a case in, NO OTHER insurance company will entertain us, therefore giving the insurance company a "Green Light" to increase the insurance by 100% Knowing we have no other choice but to accept. (Bast***ds)

Of course no thought given to whether this increase would literally wipe us out. Can't afford the insurance, can't drive legally, can't get to work, have to give up the job, go back on the dole etc etc .

Is this legal ? is there anything that we can do? This increase is a serious broadside. We, like many others have been just getting by until now. This has effectively wiped us out. All because some stupid idiot with a provisional licence who was driving unsupervised crashed in to us. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

I think there is something missing here, what won't a different company give you a quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Why didn't you just claim off the insurance after the crash? That's what your paying insurance for!!

Also how did your insurance company find out about the crash if you didn't claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭quintus

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Why didn't you just claim off the insurance after the crash? That's what your paying insurance for!!

Also how did your insurance company find out about the crash if you didn't claim?

The idea was to NOT claim off our insurance to avoid any increase in the insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

It sounds as if the other party has lodged a claim against you, holding you responsible for the accident. What are the circumstances?

How is this good business practise? Increasing someone's insurance by 100% to the point where they can't afford to run their car anymore, therefore can't get to work (Public transport not viable) unless they break the law. This person has to go back on the dole after spending years on it looking for work, because the Insurance company has effectively kicked the legs out from under them.

They were getting a monthly income from us, now they are getting nothing. How is that good business sense? A 25% to 35% increase would have been manageable.

Back claiming of the Government because of this decision. Ridiculous Country. Backward is as backward does.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

From what I can read the other party is claiming against you. That is why there is an increase. It doesn't matter a jot that you didn't claim against yourself.

From what I can read the other party is claiming against you. That is why there is an increase. It doesn't matter a jot that you didn't claim against yourself.

That IS the case. Bastards. It's no wonder so many people drive without insurance. They are left with a stark choice ... Sign on or continue to drive to work uninsured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

quintus wrote: »
    That IS the case. Bastards. It's no wonder so many people drive without insurance. They are left with a stark choice ... Sign on or continue to drive to work uninsured.

Is there a claims loading on your policy? If the claim is eventually withdrawn you would have that sum returned to you. From the point of view of the insurance company you have an active claim that hasn't been settled so you're a higher risk so your premium will most likely rise. Perhaps explore paying by instalments. Driving without insurance is highly irresponsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Were you at fault?

If so, it's not the person claiming or the insurance company that's at fault. It's your poor driving.

If you weren't at fault or this is a whiplash type scam then you have my sympathies.

Did you pay for repairs to you car? Can you now claim these back? My understanding is that the value of the claim is pretty irrelevant to how much your premium increases by so you may as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Seriously you have a claim against you of course the policy will increase.

What type of policy and benefits were in your policy.

In the crash who was liable or who caused it even by accident of course.

I've had claims put in and blocked me from moving insurers as this is how they will recoup some of their loses from ones claim.

If you are found not at fault you will be refunded any increases accrued.

• Advertisement

Is there a claims loading on your policy? If the claim is eventually withdrawn you would have that sum returned to you. From the point of view of the insurance company you have an active claim that hasn't been settled so you're a higher risk so your premium will most likely rise. Perhaps explore paying by instalments. Driving without insurance is highly irresponsible.

"Driving without insurance is highly irresponsible". I know.... What choice do we have. Give up the job and go back on the dole???? There are so many Irish people out there who have been left with this exact choice. Because of the greed of the Insurance companies. It's a vicious circle.

The OP has previous threads on this accident and they provide a clearer insight on the situation

amcalester wrote: »
    Were you at fault?

If so, it's not the person claiming or the insurance company that's at fault. It's your poor driving.

If you weren't at fault or this is a whiplash type scam then you have my sympathies.

Did you pay for repairs to you car? Can you now claim these back? My understanding is that the value of the claim is pretty irrelevant to how much your premium increases by so you may as well.

It was NOT our fault. I can't give the exact specifics here but we are being left with no other choice but to break the law. Can't go back on the dole. no WAY.

quintus wrote:

You appear to have had cover to replace your car and you decided not to claim for it. In what way are your insurers "bastards" because you can no longer drive to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

Is this legal ? is there anything that we can do? This increase is a serious broadside. We, like many others have been just getting by until now. This has effectively wiped us out. All because some stupid idiot with a provisional licence who was driving unsupervised crashed in to us. :mad:

If they crashed into you, why didn't you lodge a claim with their insurer?

Were you at fault for the crash or was it the other driver?

To keep you on the road, opt to pay in installments, I know it works out more expensive in the end but you should be able to cover it for the meantime giving the claim put in against you time to resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

It was NOT our fault. I can't give the exact specifics here but we are being left with no other choice but to break the law. Can't go back on the dole. no WAY.

Man up and dry your eyes.
    It's not the insurance companies fault that you are totally blowing this out of proportion by quiting your job. That's the adult equivalent of throwing your toys out of the pram.
    If you could afford to get a loan from your bank to get a new car, suck it up and pay the extra insurance cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

OP appears to have been involved in a 3 car pile up. And unfortunately was the middle car. This has complicated issues greatly.

OP You need to talk to your insurer about all this. (I'm sure you already have...). But if the car in front of you is claiming against you for damages then this is where the trouble lies. I'm not sure of the specifics in terms of who is liable in such a collision. But if your insurer has taken responsibility then this is where the trouble begins.

I don't understand how you have ended up paying for your own car replacement however...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

How much is the premium going up by in Euros?

How much is the premium going up by in Euros?

100% increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

100% increase.

..which is from €100 to €200 or from €1000 to €2000 ? Scale is important

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Loss of a 50% No Claim Bonus doubles your premium i.e 100% increase. OP, even though you did not claim for your car at the time. If you reported it to your insurer promptly and they inspected it, you should be able to claim for it now. It is still a single claim on your record, just a higher amount. If you have since replaced the car, you can use this money towards the premium. If you are in the right, your insurers will pursue the other side for reimbursement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Hi, I'm just like to enquire whether the following is legal.

Our car was involved in an accident a while back, Rather then go through our insurance we decided to NOT. We have a case for GENUINE compensation in because of injuries received. The car was a right off. We borrowed money to fund a replacement, otherwise "No Car, No work" simple as.

Our insurance was up for renewal the end of last month, and even after we going out of our way to avoid an increase in Insurance cost by borrowing money to replace the car, pay for towing fees, storage etc, and NOT going through our Insurance they still came back with a quote which was a 100% increase on last year.

Apparently the "Dick" on the phone said he felt bad, that the reason for the increase is because we have a case in, NO OTHER insurance company will entertain us, therefore giving the insurance company a "Green Light" to increase the insurance by 100% Knowing we have no other choice but to accept. (Bast***ds)

Of course no thought given to whether this increase would literally wipe us out. Can't afford the insurance, can't drive legally, can't get to work, have to give up the job, go back on the dole etc etc .

Of course it's legal - you have a claim against you and it sounds as though it's still open, of course your policy is going to increase in price.

I'd love to know where people are getting the idea that claims don't effect your premium because it's 100% untrue.

OP the guy on the phone was not, as you so eloquently put it, being a d**k, he was doing his job and telling you the truth.

I know it's frustrating but for now there is nothing you can do. The other party is perfectly entitled to pursue a claim if they wish and you cannot expect your provider to ignore the fact in calculating your premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

"Driving without insurance is highly irresponsible". I know.... What choice do we have. Give up the job and go back on the dole???? There are so many Irish people out there who have been left with this exact choice. Because of the greed of the Insurance companies. It's a vicious circle.

You're blowing this completely out of proportion - breaking the law is never an option.

Surely you can use public transport? Or rent a car? Or even car share? Or get a loan to fix your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Need a little more info about the crash. I was involved in a 3 car collision a few years ago and was also the car in the middle and all went through the insurance.

But since myself and the car in front were stationary waiting at a junction when a car ran into the back of me and destroyed my car and pushed me into the car in front.

The person who ran into the back of us was completely at fault so the way it works is that the car in front claims off my insurance and my insurance claims all those costs and mine from the person's insurance who ran into us.

It had no affect on my insurance costs as the person who ran into us was at fault and all costs would fall onto her policy and didn't even affect my no claims.
    It is normal that you cannot get insurance from another company while there is an open claim, But it seems that since you didn't inform your insurance then they did not know if they could recoup the costs back from who ran into you and are going by the only story they were told from whoever put the claim in.

You need to get in touch with your insurance company and fully explain the situation, However, If you ran into the car in front and then the car behind ran into you, you may be out of luck.

Always inform your insurance company, even if you have no intention of claiming.

Advertisement