Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head control 3.5 month old

Options
  • 18-10-2017 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi all, my 3.5 month old was with the PHN recently and she said his head control isn't as good as it should be. He seems ok to me when he's being held but the test she did was to pull him from lying on his back to sitting and his head lolled back when he should be able to keep it in line with his body. I've been trying to do more tummy time (I had been very bad at doing it since he was born) but the problem is he absolutely loathes it. Will literally start screaming after about 10 seconds. I was doing it on my chest which he tolerated, but she said that's not good enough at this stage and it needs to be on a hard surface. She has now referred him to the area doctor. She says she isn't worried, he seems fine in every other way and is already rolling from back to belly.

Any other tips on how I can improve his head control or help him enjoy tummy time more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I could get shot for this but.....

PHN was concerned that my little fella was not turning his head to the left when down on tummy. We went for physio and nothing was encouraging him to turn head so my Mam took out her phone, put on some singsong thingy on youtube and the hey presto, the nosey little yoke started turning his head.
    It was quite reluctantly and obviously wasn't a comfortable/ natural position for him to be in but once we knew he could do it we worked on it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Have you a tummy time roller cushion? I found it was the only thing my wee one would sort of tolerate. Don't worry too much if he hates it, stick with it. A friend of mine refers to it as 'torture time', and it's very true :)
    Get down on the floor with him too and play with him, it'll help distract him. Once he gets stronger he won't hate it as much, but he needs it to build up strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

We did very little tummy time but my little one spent a lot of time on my shoulder and she'd pull out and look all around. She's 8 months now and loves time on her tummy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Tummy time can be done on you. On you shoulder, or if you lie back on the couch or chair and put him on your tummy. It's a more playful way.
    Don't stress too much, they catch up.
    I've a 6 month old with downs, he's just starting to hold his head up and the only tummy time he could do was this. Also sit him out on your knee supporting him under his arms, this also strengthens the core and neck.
    A car mirror (one you strap to the seat for seeing in rear view mirror) strapped to the cot is a good way to encourage head turning too.

Advertisement