Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship Draw 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,108 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

id say the hurling dates will be this

Round 1- 5th/6th May
    Round 2- 12th/13th May
    Round 3- 19th/20th May
    Round 4- 26th/27th May
    Round 5- 2nd/3rd June

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭funnyname

May this?

06/05/18 Round 1
    13/05/18 Round 2
    20/05/18 Round 3
    27/05/18 Round 4
    03/06/18 Round 5
    10/06/18
    17/06/18 Munster Final
    24/06/18 Leinster Final
    01/07/18 Play-offs
    08/07/18
    15/07/18 Quarter-Finals
    22/07/18
    29/07/18 Semi-Final 1
    05/08/18 Semi-Final 2
    12/08/18
    19/08/18 All-Ireland Final
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    id say the hurling dates will be this

Round 1- 5th/6th May
    Round 2- 12th/13th May
    Round 3- 19th/20th May
    Round 4- 26th/27th May
    Round 5- 2nd/3rd June

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Offaly or Wicklow will have home advantage against Dublin.

I hope to jasus Gilroy insists on us playing the Cats in Parnell Park.

I was sceptical about the new set ups I have to say but looking at the draws they start to make sense. Hurling in particular is going to draw huge increase in attendances. There is not a Munster game that anyone would put the house on and Galway v Cats in Salthill and a couple other Leinster games will be sell outs. All good, even if outcome is the same top teams, but that's as it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

Sat nav time for the Dubs to find Tullamore :)

Dublin fans have probably got more use out of Tullamore over the past 6-7 years between Hurling and U21 games then Offaly seniors have...

Huge possiblity Waterford will have too play there home games in a neutral venue as that farce of a stadium we have won't fit enough people esp when you consider were due to play Tipp and Cork at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Tullamore was a fantastic venue for Kildare Meath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Joekers wrote: »
    Dublin fans have probably got more use out of Tullamore over the past 6-7 years between Hurling and U21 games then Offaly seniors have...

Yer darn tootin' !

I already have my favourite parking spot, watering hole & oxygen bar picked out. Plus, there is DIVINE little oyster & absinthe bistro just behind the bookies on Barrack Street. To. Die. For. :D

http://munster.gaa.ie/fixtures/senior/

Dates seem to be up

Round 1 is the weekend of 20th May and last round takes place weekend of 17th June. Final is on Sunday 1st July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Regarding Munster hurling - attendances might take a hit.
    4 weekends in a row for some - tough for the likes of families going to all those matches. Or like myself and a lot of others, I no longer live in my home county so I doubt I'll be going to matches 4 weekends in a row.

Ridiculous changes and for what?
    People were saying the championship was boring because the same teams were winning.
    It's upto the other teams to step-up, which they did last year and it was a great championship from a neutral's point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

marvin80 wrote: »
    4 weekends in a row for some - tough for the likes of families going to all those matches. Or like myself and a lot of others, I no longer live in my home county so I doubt I'll be going to matches 4 weekends in a row.

People were saying the championship was boring because the same teams were winning.
    It's upto the other teams to step-up, which they did last year and it was a great championship from a neutral's point of view.

This is gonna be an issue in football too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

4 weekends in a row for some - tough for the likes of families going to all those matches.

Maybe they'll lop 75% off the ticket prices...
    Because the football Super 8s would have hogged most of the spotlight otherwise.

The hurling draw is first step to an open draw. I thought it was bad idea initially but seeing how it worked out I think it will make for an interesting championship.

I don't understand why people think attendances will drop. There are more games and will be all to play for in most. Every Munster game will be big attraction unless one team loses its first three games. Likewise in Leinster where all games will attract big crowds and Galway v Cats in Salthill will be a sellout.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Any info on the Tier 2 (or Tier 1.5!) hurling draw I wonder? Of course nothing on the impossible to navigate Gaa website so far it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

paul0103 wrote: »
    Any info on the Tier 2 (or Tier 1.5!) hurling draw I wonder? Of course nothing on the impossible to navigate Gaa website so far it seems.

No that draw will be made some time in the New Year,

Be lucky to get any air time or coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I didn't see the draw program.
    In the hurling did they do an actual draw for the fixtures (to decide which were your two home/away fixtures, which week was your bye week) or did they just announce them as a done deal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Draws for the lower tier championships were made today

http://www.gaa.ie/hurling/news/tier-ring-rackard-and-meagher-cup-draws/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭funnyname

Draws for the lower tier championships were made today

http://www.gaa.ie/hurling/news/tier-ring-rackard-and-meagher-cup-draws/

It'll be a savage tough schedule for the Tier 2 teams, I hope they have a week off in around week 3. Can't imagine the county players getting much club time during April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I don't see the need for the hurling groups, what problem does it address?

But more importantly it will make a mess of club fixtures. In Meath we are regularly out of the hurling in late May/early June and out of the football by mid July, yet utterly struggle to run our schedule of club games. (From 1st round to final our football championships are 9 rounds, and hurling 7 rounds).

If Meath hurlers are hurling into late June, and our footballers reach the heady heights of a 4th round qualifier we'd be in big trouble, especially if any replays are needed anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't see the need for the hurling groups, what problem does it address?

Its an attempt to address the problem (real or perceived?) of 'number of games vis a vis football'. The idea being that football already has more big games and televised games and will now have an extra 8 such games at the round-robin phase, so a response was needed.

Liam Mccarthy fixtures according to the master fixtures 2018

May 12th
    Leinster Round 1- Offaly vs Galway

May 13th
    Leinster Round 1- Dublin vs Kilkenny

May 20th
    Leinster Round 2- Kilkenny vs Offaly, Wexford vs Dublin
    Munster Round 1- Cork vs Clare, Limerick vs Tipperary

May 26th
    Leinster Round 3- Offaly vs Wexford

May 27th
    Leinster Round 3- Galway vs Kilkenny
    Munster Round 2- Clare vs Waterford, Tipperary vs Cork

June 2nd
    Munster Round 3- Cork vs Limerick
    Leinster Round 4- Wexford vs Galway

June 3rd-
    Munster Round 3- Waterford vs Tipperary
    Leinster Round 4- Dublin vs Offaly

June 9th
    Leinster Round 5- Kilkenny vs Wexford, Galway vs Dublin

June 10th
    Munster Round 4- Limerick vs Waterford, Tipperary vs Clare

June 17th
    Munster Round 5- Clare vs Limerick, Waterford vs Cork

July 1st- Munster and Leinster Finals

Weekend of 7th/8th July- AI Prelim QFs (3rd Munster/Leinster vs Tier 2 finalists)
    Sunday 15th July- AI Quarter Finals
    Sat 28th/Sun 29th July- AI Semi Finals
    Sunday 19th Aug- AI Final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Can't understand why the Leinster and munster finals have to be on the same day.

Would it not have been better to have the finals of the tier 2 competition and play it before the Leinster or munster final . Televise it as well and give it some profile.

Also,with all these games in hurling and football it will be interesting to see what games sky are going to get.

kala85 wrote: »
    Can't understand why the Leinster and munster finals have to be on the same day.

Would it not have been better to have the finals of the tier 2 competition and play it before the Leinster or munster final . Televise it as well and give it some profile.

Also,with all these games in hurling and football it will be interesting to see what games sky are going to get.

I think overall the new systems for both games are good, but condensing the season makes no sense when you are competing for audience share.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

kala85 wrote: »

The Tier 2 final is a curtain raiser to the Leinster final. Which probably means there wont be live TV coverage as it will clash with the Munster Final (Munster final at 2pm, Leinster final at 4pm).

The following weekend the winners of Tier 2 play the preliminary QF vs 3rd place in Munster, Tier 2 runners up play 3rd place in Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

So, pubs packed full till the MF is over and then mad dash over the road for the LF. Great exposure for the tier 2 match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I think overall the new systems for both games are good, but condensing the season makes no sense when you are competing for audience share.

Condensing the inter county season has nothing to do with exposure/audience share etc. it's to facilitate club championships, which have in the last few years become less and less of a priority, particularly in the more successful counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭jtown

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Liam Mccarthy fixtures according to the master fixtures 2018

May 12th
    Leinster Round 1- Offaly vs Galway

May 13th
    Leinster Round 1- Dublin vs Kilkenny

May 20th
    Leinster Round 2- Kilkenny vs Offaly, Wexford vs Dublin
    Munster Round 1- Cork vs Clare, Limerick vs Tipperary

May 26th
    Leinster Round 3- Offaly vs Wexford

May 27th
    Leinster Round 3- Galway vs Kilkenny
    Munster Round 2- Clare vs Waterford, Tipperary vs Cork

June 2nd
    Munster Round 3- Cork vs Limerick
    Leinster Round 4- Wexford vs Galway

June 3rd-
    Munster Round 3- Waterford vs Tipperary
    Leinster Round 4- Dublin vs Offaly

June 9th
    Leinster Round 5- Kilkenny vs Wexford, Galway vs Dublin

June 10th
    Munster Round 4- Limerick vs Waterford, Tipperary vs Clare

June 17th
    Munster Round 5- Clare vs Limerick, Waterford vs Cork

July 1st- Munster and Leinster Finals

Weekend of 7th/8th July- AI Prelim QFs (3rd Munster/Leinster vs Tier 2 finalists)
    Sunday 15th July- AI Quarter Finals
    Sat 28th/Sun 29th July- AI Semi Finals
    Sunday 19th Aug- AI Final

Any Sam version ? Just trying to sort weekends! :eek:

jtown wrote: »
    Any Sam version ? Just trying to sort weekends! :eek:

no but heres a link to the master fixture lists

http://www.gaa.ie/news/2018-master-fixtures-plan-published/

danganabu wrote: »
    Condensing the inter county season has nothing to do with exposure/audience share etc. it's to facilitate club championships, which have in the last few years become less and less of a priority, particularly in the more successful counties.

A lot of that had to do with way competitions were organised. Dublin had ridiculous back door system in football that they were lucky ever to finish. Its straight knock out now with 32 teams and ended on Monday. Watched by full house so it has not been diminished.

I seem to recall that last county football championship to finish a few years ago was Waterford. Now. Nor harm to them but that was hardly down to inter county!

About ten years ago a Dublin league hurling final was on the day before New Years Eve! There were two Dublin county players involved and Dublin had been knocked out in July. My club once tried to have a league game postponed because two key players had booked a weekend away for Valentines Day :) I know of others who looked for games to be changed over weddings, communions, birthday. It is that sort of nonsense that ties up the season, not the inter county.

• Advertisement

A lot of that had to do with way competitions were organised. Dublin had ridiculous back door system in football that they were lucky ever to finish. Its straight knock out now with 32 teams and ended on Monday. Watched by full house so it has not been diminished.

I seem to recall that last county football championship to finish a few years ago was Waterford. Now. Nor harm to them but that was hardly down to inter county!

About ten years ago a Dublin league hurling final was on the day before New Years Eve! There were two Dublin county players involved and Dublin had been knocked out in July. My club once tried to have a league game postponed because two key players had booked a weekend away for Valentines Day :) I know of others who looked for games to be changed over weddings, communions, birthday. It is that sort of nonsense that ties up the season, not the inter county.

A full house at the final is not evidence of a good structure, ask the players of the 16 teams who trained all year for one game how they feel it worked!

Regarding Waterford, that is a combination of dual players ( their hurlers were in the AI or AI semi that year) and secondly the fact that football will always play second fiddle to hurling in a county like Waterford. No system is going to fix that.

As for the last point I have no idea how Dublin run their leagues but to dismiss the inter-county season as having no influence on the club championships is bizzare, an ever increasing number of county managers will not release players back to their clubs and their employers allow this, the frustration of club players was the uncertainty of when they would be playing, this is seen as the first step to addressing that uncertainty.

A full house is indeed an indication that the best teams are getting to the last stages. Old structure was farcical. What does it matter to teams getting only one hiding instead of two or three? Sport is about the best winning, not some affirmative action programme. It has greatly improved the running of games in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

Only a week between last round of super 8s and football semis is a but daft given all the planning that went into it
    Especially as the final is a week later than planned too
    In fact given that the semis are over one weekend 2 teams may only have 6 days .........

A full house is indeed an indication that the best teams are getting to the last stages. Old structure was farcical. What does it matter to teams getting only one hiding instead of two or three? Sport is about the best winning, not some affirmative action programme. It has greatly improved the running of games in Dublin.

That's a wonderful attitude I have to say, have you applied to be a games development officer, that's the kind of forward thinking we need in the organisation - fcuk the players as long as we have the big day out at the county final :D Is it any wonder there are droves of players between the ages of 16-21 being lost to other sports. Sports which have a defined calendar and regular games for all players not just the ones who happen to be from a big club.

And how do you propose any of these clubs ''getting only one hiding'' will ever improve or close the gap?

km79 wrote: »
    Only a week between last round of super 8s and football semis is a but daft given all the planning that went into it
    Especially as the final is a week later than planned too
    In fact given that the semis are over one weekend 2 teams may only have 6 days .........

The whole thing is ludicrous predicated on greed and misconception as to what the actual problem was, the more farcical though was that it was perceived that Hurling somehow needed to mimmick the farce. Of course a motion that was passed with the over whelming support of counties to which to will have absolutely no affect, the very notion that a county in the Lorry Meagher Tier 5 should have an equal vote as a county like Kilkenny is completely irrational and leads to the 'buy a vote' horse**** that has blighted the annual convention for years. Some sort of proportionality voting needs to be introduced but as turkeys dont vote for christmas this will never happen.

That's a wonderful attitude I have to say, have you applied to be a games development officer, that's the kind of forward thinking we need in the organisation - fcuk the players as long as we have the big day out at the county final :D Is it any wonder there are droves of players between the ages of 16-21 being lost to other sports. Sports which have a defined calendar and regular games for all players not just the ones who happen to be from a big club.

And how do you propose any of these clubs ''getting only one hiding'' will ever improve or close the gap?

I played for years and most of postponements had nothing to do with county teams. Just bad organization. And yes in Dublin there were teams in senior county football and hurling that wouldn't get a kick in a stampede who were given 2/3 games. Would be like Wicklow having to play Kilkenny and Galway in hurling. Do you think they would improve? Pointless. The new structure has freed up more time for leagues.

Your last post, by the way, contradicts the view that there should be some sort of "level playing field."

I played for years and most of postponements had nothing to do with county teams. Just bad organization. And yes in Dublin there were teams in senior county football and hurling that wouldn't get a kick in a stampede who were given 2/3 games. Would be like Wicklow having to play Kilkenny and Galway in hurling. Do you think they would improve? Pointless. The new structure has freed up more time for leagues.

Your last post, by the way, contradicts the view that there should be some sort of "level playing field."

Sounds like then that the bigger issue in Dublin is the number of Senior clubs and gradings. If there are clubs as far off the standard as you are suggesting then they have no business being senior.

Sounds like then that the bigger issue in Dublin is the number of Senior clubs and gradings. If there are clubs as far off the standard as you are suggesting then they have no business being senior.

Well that is a good point. Hurling is run on senior A and senior B. Same should happen in football. Problem is that the pool of teams is replenished every year by promotions replacing relegations. There have been some absolute slaughters in SFC over recent years. There is no way the losing team could have been said to have gotten any good out of it!

Well that is a good point. Hurling is run on senior A and senior B. Same should happen in football. Problem is that the pool of teams is replenished every year by promotions replacing relegations. There have been some absolute slaughters in SFC over recent years. There is no way the losing team could have been said to have gotten any good out of it!

Same problem exists in Tipperary hurling and too many clubs threading water going no where but wont drop down a grade.

• Advertisement

Same problem exists in Tipperary hurling and too many clubs threading water going no where but wont drop down a grade.

Would be regarded as a massive loss of face for some formerly powerful clubs to go down, but it would probably benefit them. Two smaller more balanced football competitions as there are in hurling would be much better, as indeed the hurling A and B has shown. Dublin hurling championship is immeasurably better than it was 10/15 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Would be regarded as a massive loss of face for some formerly powerful clubs to go down, but it would probably benefit them. Two smaller more balanced football competitions as there are in hurling would be much better, as indeed the hurling A and B has shown. Dublin hurling championship is immeasurably better than it was 10/15 years ago.

This is a problem in a huge number of counties, where you have far too many uncompetitive teams at senior grade. The worst case I heard of was when Cavan County Board setup an external review group ( got GAA heads from outside the county to review the structures and setup ) and the external review group recommended that the number of senior clubs be cut from something like 14 to 12 (not sure of the exact numbers) What did the clubs decide to do but increase the number of senior clubs - think it was up to 16.
    However I'd imagine that if anyone looked at this in detail on a county-by-county basis that there is a significant number of counties where the grading is a disaster.
    When you have even one uncompetitive team at senior level, it has a knock-on effect down the line in that it makes the next level down that bit less competitive as well. When it goes to 2/3/4 clubs, the effect just multiplies. These clubs limp along in senior, when they would be far better off competing in intermediate and at least being competitive against teams of similar ability, maybe having a chance of winning something.

The other thing that has changed massively in the last while is that a whole host of counties have back-doors and group stages in their county championships, which drag things out unnecessarily. Teams that haven't a snowball's chance in hell of winning a county championship getting a second chance or taking part in group stages just drag out their stay of execution providing little benefit to anyone.

People give out about the ways clubs are graded in Kerry but you have seriously competitive championships at all levels the last few years.

I feel Croke Park and the provincial councils should be putting pressure on county boards to sort this out, especially those county boards who screw up their scheduling and are unable to provide teams for provincial competitions.

That was my point about Dublin SFC. Still too many teams but straight knockout means less time wasted, and very competitive and hugely attended final stages. Unfortunate for likes of Plunketts who have been in top four over last good while that they went out early, but them's the breaks.

Good point you made about mediocre teams dragging rest down. Kilkenny SHC is good example of how a properly run club competition maintains high standards. Some counties have bewildering arrangements that are reflected in their county teams.

Seems strange that Wicklow be in both. I didn't think any college teams were taking part in either Walsh or Kehoe.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭LooseCannonUF

Patww79 wrote: »
    Also, is anyone starting a thread for these comps?

I’d say it’s meant to be Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Edit: Wrong thread

• Advertisement
Advertisement