Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a holiday home

Options
  • 18-10-2017 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I'm considering buying a small holiday home here in Ireland and am looking for some advice from people who own second 'holiday' homes (i.e. things to consider, whether it was a good/bad decision etc).

The property is a recent enough conversion in a low-rise block of 4 apartments in a sleepy seaside village that is buzzing in the Summer but dead otherwise. I live around 1.5 hours away I'd move there full-time if I could but there is no work there, my current commute wouldn't be on great roads and the job I have now allows me to work remotely sometimes. Neighbours seem nice and if I did want to rent it out it would be in high demand in the Summer months. I have family connections to the village and it's somewhere I like spending time year round.

Financially it would be a cash purchase and there's an annual management fee of around 800 euro to cover block insurance, sinking funds etc. My main reason for wanting to buy it is that I love spending time in the area and the apartment itself is great.

Are there other things I should be looking into before I take the plunge? Heart and bank account say do it but head isn't so sure. The sellers bought it as a holiday home and are selling because they don't get much use out of it.

Advertisement