Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea to Summit 2017

Options
  • 18-10-2017 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Anybody training / competing in sea to summit 2017? How's the training going?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

moved to the main forum, not a log.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

ISMISEFEAR wrote: »
    Anybody training / competing in sea to summit 2017? How's the training going?

I hope to complete, than compete in it!

I've been doing weekly trail runs recently, and will focus more on hill climbs/turbo on the bike for the next few weeks. Other than that I'm hoping my tri training will stand to me. I struggled on the final run last time out, so if I can cross the line in less pain this time round I'll be happy.

I still can't get my head around the shoes scenario. What is your plan? Bike shoes change at T1 or same shoes throughout?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Shoes situation depends on what distance you do. Spirit just wear one pair but for supreme you might make enough of a gain on the second cycle to change

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

Yep. Doing the Spirit but have never done less training. Hoping to get to the Reek tomorrow because the weekend weather looks awful.
    I wear trail shoes right through for the Spirit as the cycles are short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Anybody looking for a race entry for supreme?

• Advertisement

The weather for the race is now forecast to be fairly bad rain. I've done S2S on cold but bright days, days with horizontal sleet, but not heavy rain... :(

Begs wrote: »
    The weather for the race is now forecast to be fairly bad rain. I've done S2S on cold but bright days, days with horizontal sleet, but not heavy rain... :(
    Oh no ðŸ™
    I've done it since 2011 and I don't remember a wet year either. The Reek will be a right mess.
    Won't ever forget 2012 with the hail and snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

Animella wrote: »
    Oh no ðŸ™
    I've done it since 2011 and I don't remember a wet year either. The Reek will be a right mess.
    Won't ever forget 2012 with the hail and snow!

think the first cycle out with the crowds on the road.. on the main road to the reek will be the most dangerous bit.. heard there was a few close calls last year .. imagine that with a wet surface.. think they need to make more waves and split them up more.. too many people on the road at one time ..

Best of luck to everyone taking part. Staying safe will be the name of the game tomorrow.
    Enjoy the party and your stay in Westport!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

2nd time doing it yesterday and enjoyed it so much more than last year. Serious amount of dangerous cyclists on the road though. Mixed together inexperienced people on badly fitting bikes and 3 idiots tearing up the road zooming into gaps and shouting "green bike get out of my way" etc. Apart from these 3 though found great camaraderie along the way. Great event- see u next year

• Advertisement

I really enjoyed the event - despite the weather on Friday night racking up, and the pains in my legs today! That was my 2nd attempt at the supreme, after doing the spirit two or three times. I saw no issues on the course of note. From registration, to race start, and out on the course, all looked to be well organised. So a big thumbs up to the organisers! I took 30 mins off my previous time, and was even able to get the legs going into the 2nd run, so really pleased. I took the 1st run and cycle easy, and that seemed to do the trick, as I didn't need to get off the bike going up the stairway to heaven. I'll definitely aim to do it again next year.

Advertisement