Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found this out on a walk recently

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Have you compared it with the NMS Database?
    Would be cool if it is Unregistered.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MrSing

Have you compared it with the NMS Database?
    Would be cool if it is Unregistered.
    I'm checking it but not sure of the townsland name, will have to find out the name to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Are we looking at a limekiln? Has some of the stonework collapsed and exposed fresh stone? Nice piece of dressed stone - maybe came from another project and used as fill?

Are we looking at a limekiln? Has some of the stonework collapsed and exposed fresh stone? Nice piece of dressed stone - maybe came from another project and used as fill?

It looks like a stone that was salvaged from an older structure to my untrained eye.

Storms in 2013/2014 caused a lot of damage in these forests and this particular structure looks recently exposed yet exposed to a certain point.

It looks like a stone that was salvaged from an older structure to my untrained eye.

Storms in 2013/2014 caused a lot of damage in these forests and this particular structure looks recently exposed yet exposed to a certain point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Interesting stone that got me thinking and doing a bit of checking. I was wondering if the stone might be an early christian carving reused from a church site or perhaps a later castle ? Initially I was thinking that the hole in the stone was original and maybe used to mount a door or a window but then from looking at pictures and plans for lime kilns I saw that there used to be metal bars in the shape of a grate over the eye which was an air inlet where they would light the fire inside the chamber where the limestone was burnt and later rake out the quicklime.

Please let us know if you come up with any answers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

Looks very much like an intermittent flare kiln (limekiln) that has utilised the gable end of a disused church. The stone decoration is typical of the Romanesque tradition, and likely dates from the 12th-14th centuries. It's in very good condition though. You should definitely report it to NMS just in case it hasn't already been recorded.

Advertisement