Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

light in hot press.

Options
  • 18-10-2017 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

currently there is no light in the hot press.
    We have the immersion and also a socket just outside the door of the hot press.

Is it possible/allowable to get power to a switch to a light fitting from the socket itself ? which would be on a radial circuit ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

currently there is no light in the hot press.
    We have the immersion and also a socket just outside the door of the hot press.

Is it possible/allowable to get power to a switch to a light fitting from the socket itself ? which would be on a radial circuit ?
    NO. Sockets and immersion’s are protected from MCB’s with a larger rating then required for lights. Consult a REC as you’ll be adding a new point

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭irelandhouse

MrMac84 wrote: »
    NO. Lights and immersion’s are protected from MCB’s with a larger rating then required for lights. Consult a REC as you’ll be adding a new point

Thanks MrMac. It was more talking the power from the socket which is on its own circuit separate from immersion that I was looking to do...leaving the immersion alone ...is this possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Thanks MrMac. It was more talking the power from the socket which is on its own circuit separate from immersion that I was looking to do...leaving the immersion alone ...is this possible.

I had to edit my above post as I made an error. Basically tho you can’t run lights off sockets, immersion’s, cookers, showers, storage heaters or panel heaters etc etc. lights need to be ran of other lights and depending on the location given their own MCB/RCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I thought you can run a very small lighting circuit from a socket circuit via spur outlet and switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Tuco88 wrote:
    I thought you can run a very small lighting circuit from a socket circuit via spur outlet and switch.

Yes, the idea here is to get the 13 amp spur to do the same job as a 13Amp plug.

Obviously you have table lamps etc plugged it socket circuits off a 20 amp ccts, this is allowed as you'll fuse it down at the plugtop. You have to have a fused plugtop.

As answered originally you can't wire a lighting point from an immersion or socket point circuit.
    You wouldn't come of an immersion point at all.
    I'd agree that's it's a job for a REC, but I'd imagine that a small 5W fitting from a 13 Amp fused unit fused at 5 amps taken from the socket circuit would be something you could suggest to the REC rather than ripping up floors and trying to get a looped live from a switch.

Again a light with a pull cord built in a LED lamp is a good idea here IMO. Space for a switch can be hard to find sometimes in it around a hot press.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Putting a LED table lamp with a socket might be the easiest solution?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Consult a REC as you’ll be adding a new point

The jury is out on that one for me.
    According to the email CER sent me (see link in forum charter) regarding Minor Electrical Works:
    If a new/clean circuit is required for these controls then this would fall under Restricted Electrical Works (REW) and can only be completed by a REC, however, the rules, that these systems are installed to, (IS813 and manufactures recommendations) state for an existing premises, a circuit may be spurred off a local suitable circuit. Under our definition of Restricted Electrical Works, minor electrical works are exempt as set out in CER/13/147 decision paper, see section 2.5.
    TheChizler wrote: »
    Putting a LED table lamp with a socket might be the easiest solution?

It would be better to installed a spur outlet to be honest and also safer IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

2011 wrote: »
    It would be better to installed a spur outlet to be honest and also safer IMHO.
    Ah I misread and thought the socket was already in the hot-press.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭irelandhouse

TheChizler wrote: »
    Ah I misread and thought the socket was already in the hot-press.

Hi there there is a socket just outside the hotpress that could be acceasible if required to take a light off and possible to do.

The light would need very little power, 7w led or such..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Hi there there is a socket just outside the hotpress that could be acceasible if required to take a light off and possible to do.

The light would need very little power, 7w led or such..

2.5mm t+e from existing socket to a switched 3 amp spur. Then 1.5 t+e to light fitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

evosteo wrote: »
    2.5mm t+e from existing socket to a switched 3 amp spur. Then 1.5 t+e to light fitting.

This is what I've always done. Do the same for attic lights too.5 amp switch spur with neon. You can tell if you've left the light/s on.

I remember years ago, I got pulled for using the switch spur as a "switch". I had to place a non switched spur from the socket circuit to a light switch.

Anyone else have this?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Tuco88 wrote: »
    I remember years ago, I got pulled for using the switch spur as a "switch". I had to place a non switched spur from the socket circuit to a light switch.

Anyone else have this?

I never hear of that.
    Makes no sense in my opinion.
    Inspectors have been known to make stuff up.

Ya, apparently I was told a spur outlet is for isolation only, and not functional switching. This was in a new school in Dublin a good while back.

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Ya, apparently I was told a spur outlet is for isolation only, and not functional switching. This was in a new school in Dublin a good while back.

It would be interesting to get him to point to the relation that states that :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Buy a battery operated light with a built in switch, safest and cheapest option

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Tuco88 wrote:
    Anyone else have this?

I've heard of this too.

I don't know the source,

They don't make great light switches though Imo, I would generally use a light switch as well as a spur.

Would it be due to the cost of the switch? One being a rocker with designed for regular use? And the other for occasional use?

Stoner wrote: »
    I've heard of this too.

I don't know the source,

They don't make great light switches though Imo, I would generally use a light switch as well as a spur.

Would it be due to the cost of the switch? One being a rocker with designed for regular use? And the other for occasional use?

Maybe, I remember some of the inspectors like to make up rules...It might be an idea of there own and all of a sudden its a golden rule its a great idea.

Well i remember telling him is the spur outlet not rated for 20amps just like a switch on a socket? It will hardly see half that fused down.

But i got the usual... my way or the highway:D

Advertisement