Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billy Joe Saunders vs David Lemieux December 16th in Canada.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Morrison J wrote: »
    Great win for Spike too!

Delighted for him. Douglas realised quite early on he was in for a long night, he didn’t want anything to do with Spike’s power. Lovely finish. What’s next for him do we think? He’s spoken about possibly facing GGG or Canelo

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Roar wrote: »
    Delighted for him. Douglas realised quite early on he was in for a long night, he didn’t want anything to do with Spike’s power. Lovely finish. What’s next for him do we think? He’s spoken about possibly facing GGG or Canelo

Andy lee would be a good fight for him I think , can't see him being on canelo/ggg's radar at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Absolute masterclass from Saunders. Humiliated Lemieux in there. Won every round for me.

Hopefully finally starts to get the credit he deserves.

A great boxer indeed but an absolute wanker outside the ring as far as I can see....

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Great win for Spike too!

Bit of a payday next for him I’m sure. There’s no point defending that belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

BJS is a strange one. He can be very interesting in interviews sometimes, and sometimes he can be a complete tool. He's a very talented boxer though, and now seems to have sorted out the issues with his weight / fitness. He made Lemieux looking like a complete amateur. Lemieux's footwork is incredibly bad for a professional boxer. You could see how GGG would have been able to cut off the ring so much better than Lemieux.
    But the timing could be perfect for Saunders. GGG is getting slower, and BJS is now at his peak. The gap that was between them a few years ago is narrowing. If the GGG v Canelo fix is on for a second helping, then the most logical fight seems to put BJS against Danny Jacobs.

• Advertisement

Roar wrote: »
    Great win for Spike too!

It's a good win for Spike but I think he found his level when he found was stopped by BJS a few years ago. I saw a video of him calling out BJS after his win last night.

He lost badly to BJS a few years back, so I'm not sure there would be any point in fighting him now. BJS is just too good for Spike. I thought they were friends anyway, BJS brought him in to help with sparring a couple of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

I am chuffed for him, he's never going to beat the likes of GGG or BJS but I'm delighted for him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Definitely a case of someone who has maximised their talent, fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

It's a huge win for Spike and clearly the biggest of his career. I know it's not really the route they're going with him being US based (for fights), but it would be a great time for him to target the European title.
    Blandamura is a weak title holder and winning the European title is likely to be as big as things would get for him.
    His division is too stacked to even have a punchers chance at a World title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Great win for Spike, not sure where he goes from here though. It's a shame there isn't a belt free to go for. He'd give a lot of people a tough night apart from the top 3 in BJS,Canelo and GGG.

BJS was very impressive last night, the switch to Dominic Ingle looks like it has done him the world of good.

I'm not a fan of some of his antics, like kissing Chris Eubank Jr at the face off. But he's certainly worked hard to get where he is and that is something to be commended. And like was said above, he's certainly making the most of what he's got.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I switched off BJS after 5...I assume it was the same pitter patter tickling his way to a clear decision? Lemieux is just not a goodboxer, and looked much smaller. He was never winning on points. Best thing about BJS is his movement...

Spike? Nice win, but really the lad needs to stop taking punches so easily. American’s lack of power really hurt him...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Morrison J

walshb wrote: »
    I switched off BJS after 5...I assume it was the same pitter patter tickling his way to a clear decision? Lemieux is just not a goodboxer, and looked much smaller. He was never winning on points. Best thing about BJS is his movement...

Still think Saunders is **** though?

Literally laughed out loud when Saunders did this. Class.

C0HX1dS.gif

Still think Saunders is **** though?

Kind of, yes...

Of course, sh1t in terms of my view of levels at elite level through history...

His feet and movement would bother Canelo..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Great performance by Saunders, he is a whole different prospect when he is in shape like he was last night but can he stay disciplined?
    He also seems to be a very big and strong middleweight, he just looked so much bigger than LeMieux and dominated the clinches too.

Kind of, yes...

Of course, sh1t in terms of my view of levels at elite level through history...

His feet and movement would bother Canelo..

I know you have a personal dislike for the guy but he isn't **** no matter what way you look at him. Brilliant fighter, one of the best defensive fighters around at the minute.

That win last night was one of the best overseas performances by a British fighter in a long long time.

I know you have a personal dislike for the guy but he isn't **** no matter what way you look at him. Brilliant fighter, one of the best defensive fighters around at the minute.

That win last night was one of the best overseas performances by a British fighter in a long long time.

I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. Lemieux has a good punch. That is about it. Looked good against not near a great opponent.

In terms of history at elite level BJS doesn’t even come on my radar...he is that bang average in that comparison..if he was around during some other eras he’d be canon fodder.

I am not saying he won’t change my opinion. But to date he has beaten nobody approaching elite/great...nor has he shown me anything approaching great.

I guess only Canelo/GGG can be termed that today and recently...

Daniel Jacobs a slight notch below..

What’s his best win? Scraping past Andy Lee?

He holds wins against Eubank Jr, lee and now LeMieux. hardly an atrocious record tbf.

• Advertisement

I think that is a big exaggeration. Lemieux has a good punch. That is about it. Looked good against not near a great opponent.

In terms of history at elite level BJS doesn’t even come on my radar...he is that bang average in that comparison..if he was around during some other eras he’d be canon fodder.

I am not saying he won’t change my opinion. But to date he has beaten nobody approaching elite/great...nor has he shown me anything approaching great.

I guess only Canelo/GGG can be termed that today and recently...

Daniel Jacobs a slight notch below..

You're backtracking big time here to be fair. You've been calling Saunders useless for years. Now you're suddenly saying it's only compared to the greats that he's useless.

Lemieux, Eubank and Lee are all good wins. The eye test sometimes trumps wins though anyway. He's just so skilled and technically sound. His toughness hasn't even had to be properly tested yet and I'd have little doubt he'd have that in spades too if taken into deep waters by a Golovkin or Canelo. Going to take a very good fighter to beat this current motivated version of him.

He holds wins against Eubank Jr, lee and now LeMieux. hardly an atrocious record tbf.

Who said it was atrocious?

Lee...........come on. Big deal

Eubank was a few years ago...

Lemieux?.......

My opinions of him are based off elite level through history. I was clear on this.

He is a smart and clever boxer. Today he is rated highly. Through history he’s not close to that...

You're backtracking big time here to be fair. You've been calling Saunders useless for years. Now you're suddenly saying it's only compared to the greats that he's useless.

Lemieux, Eubank and Lee are all good wins. The eye test sometimes trumps wins though anyway. He's just so skilled and technically sound. His toughness hasn't even had to be properly tested yet and I'd have little doubt he'd have that in spades too if taken into deep waters by a Golovkin or Canelo. Going to take a very good fighter to beat this current motivated version of him.

Not backtracking. I said that he was sh1t... still kind of saying that...

No backtracking and no change....I “added” in through history at elite level to give more a feel for this view..

If by levels and success today then you cannot say sh1t. He’s top rated. I get this. But I still think he is nothing approaching a great fighter.

I am aware of his skills /strengths.

Eubank was a few years ago...

Eubank and him are the same age. Both have improved since.

I also said that he could change my opinion. I have no problem changing an opinion I once had..

I certainly wouldn’t deny him his dues just because at one time he didn’t impress me.

Eubank and him are the same age. Both have improved since.

I get this...

Last night he looked to be better than I have ever seen him...

Yet a few months back he looked dire..

Not backtracking. I said that he was sh1t... still kind of saying that...

No backtracking and no change....I “added” in through history at elite level to give more a feel for this view..

If by levels and success today then you cannot say sh1t. He’s top rated. I get this. But I still think he is nothing approaching a great fighter.

I am aware of his skills /strengths.

Ah you are though. You've previously said stuff like it's embarrassing that he's a world champ and that he's an amateur etc etc. You weren't previously trotting out this "only compared to the elite" narrative. There's a definite change there.

You probably knew he was good all along to be fair I just think your hate for him got in the way of your rating of him. Same with how it does Tyson Fury. Looking forward to Fury making you backtrack again when he makes his comeback and shows why he's lineal champ!

pac_man wrote: »
    On a somewhat relevant note, it's good to see Jason Quigley changing trainer to the Ingle Gym. He'll have good sparring with Brook and Saunders.
    Since he turned pro, he's adopted this aggressive style that I always felt didn't really suit him.In his last fight, he kinda changed that but that was out of necessity due to the hand injury. He was a far better boxer in the amateurs. Same could really be said about Conlan who is part of the same gym, although his last performance showed improvement.

If Tyson Fury has really parted ways with his uncle, I think this gym would also suit him down to the ground.

Great move for Quigley imo. I hope Conlan eventually follows suit.

Robles suits the Mexican fighters like Valdez who win mainly through high work rates but I don't think he'd get the best out of a Quigley or Conlan who are really good technical boxers.

Conlan's last fight was much more like it. I heard Conlan say in an interview that his dad encouraged him to go back to fighting more technical and to lose the Mexican style that Robles had been putting upon him. Dunno how healthy that is going forward. Wouldn't be surprised if Conlan jumps sooner than later to be honest. I don't see Robles as a good fit at all.

Ah you are though. You've previously said stuff like it's embarrassing that he's a world champ and that he's an amateur etc etc. You weren't previously trotting out this "only compared to the elite" narrative. There's a definite change there.

You probably knew he was good all along to be fair I just think your hate for him got in the way of your rating of him. Same with how it does Tyson Fury. Looking forward to Fury making you backtrack again when he makes his comeback and shows why he's lineal champ!

Like I said I will happily backtrack if needed. I have no issue with saying I have changed my opinion. It’s not a case of “I was wrong by.” It’s a case of “at the time” x, y and z were not up to it for me..

Useless is too strong a word. If I said that it was more to emphasise my not rating him at all...

No real change from me. BJS for me is not getting any real praise..he is for me a “soft” WC in the sport’s 2nd most historically significant division...

Fury? Plenty comments from me through the years praising him as regards his talent.

Not a fooking hope he reigns numero uno at HW. Unless a few retire and he actually comes back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Interesting night for sure. Hugely critical win for Spike as a loss here on HBO would have seen him as good as finished. Encouraging against a younger opponent but as we all know he is not elite but he could get a good payday next.

As an aside when Roy Jones was commenting on Spike's trainer Paschal Collins he mentioned that Steve Collins was trying to fight him all the way to last year!

Surprised how easy Saunders had it throughout. Dont think many here would support the chap but to be fair he was superb saturday. Looked the part, footwork was exceptional as was his jab, dominant and crucially focused and he frankly embarrassed Lemieux.

Indeed Lemieux's post fight interview was a disgrace saying that Saunders had run all night. You got schooled just like you did when I saw your head beaten off by GGG.

Advertisement