Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billy Joe Saunders vs David Lemieux December 16th in Canada.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

I really enjoyed Saunders performance the last night. I love watching skilful boxers outsmarting big punchers. Despite what the odd person thinks, this is what usually happens in boxer v puncher matchups, with just enough good ko's to keep that 'what if' factor alive for some.

As someone alluded to earlier, Saunders is an unusual character. When doing analysis on Boxnation he always impresses me. Very sharp, very knowledgable and expresses himself very well with a level of honesty you don't associate with boxers in general. I also like his 'couldn't give a f*ck' attitude, which of course pisses off the eternally offended.

I don't follow twitter or facebook or any of those things so I've no idea what he gets up to on them, but I hear it ain't good, so you'd wonder what's going on in there, but one thing for certain is - if he's in shape and motivated he is a bad style matchup for Saul Alvarez. It could be another Lara type performance, a match that I think the Cuban blew by being way too negative. If he was just a little more positive he would have won that.

Golovkin would be too consistent in his output I suspect. Saunders will land plenty but I can see Golovkin's pressure taking over in the second half of the fight.

Anyway, that shrewd matchup by Frank Warren has put him right amongst the big boys now and could make for some interesting fights ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

walshb wrote: »
    Like I said I will happily backtrack if needed. I have no issue with saying I have changed my opinion. It’s not a case of “I was wrong by.” It’s a case of “at the time” x, y and z were not up to it for me..

Useless is too strong a word. If I said that it was more to emphasise my not rating him at all...

No real change from me. BJS for me is not getting any real praise..he is for me a “soft” WC in the sport’s 2nd most historically significant division...

I think Bill Joe proved, when motivated, he has the skill to outbox even the best in the division, but i suspect if that happens you will fall back on it was a soft division at this moment in time. It will be the same tactic with Tyson Fury if he comes back and beats all the titleholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think Bill Joe proved, when motivated, he has the skill to outbox even the best in the division, but i suspect if that happens you will fall back on it was a soft division at this moment in time. It will be the same tactic with Tyson Fury if he comes back and beats all the titleholders.

But to date BJS has not met or bet the best.....you may be right, but to state it as fact based off him outpointing Lemieux (which seems to be what you are basing it off?) is a little presumptuous. Lemieux for me is not near as great as GGG or Canelo.

I have already said, and believe that BJS would cause issues for Canelo. His height, reach and boxing movement would see to that.

Against GGG he would also cause issues with the exact same things...

As for the division.....it does not wow me at all...

I have made several points about GGG and Canelo as MWs and how they compare to past eras....

I like GGG, but he is a little bit overrated for me. Canelo I rate, but he's far from a monster or unbeatable.

But, you can only fight and beat what is around today...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Saunders v Jermall Charlo might be the best fight in the division. I really struggle to gauge how that fight goes at all.

Saunders probably beats Canelo for me (inevitably gets robbed on the cards though). His footwork and faster hands would be a nightmare for Canelo. He'd give GGG fits in a razor close fight too.

I love the middleweight division at the moment. Everyone brings a totally different skillset. So many polar opposite matchups.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Saunders against GGG would be very interesting if Saunders can discourage GGG. I am not sure he could go a full 12 winning by tip tap shots, excellent movement or not. Too risky, and very possible GGG gets to land clean and hard several times. If Saunders chin is rock solid he could do it via tip tap points win. Again, risky!

I bet GGG would be asking for a small ring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

My dislike for him started during the Eubank jr build up. Great performance against Lemieux though. I was fully sure GGG would beat the **** out of him. Now I'm not so sure.

Advertisement