Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Shotgun left in car for 3 days..

Options
  • 19-10-2017 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

Gardaí are investigating after a firearm was stolen from a housing estate in Co. Offaly.

Full article here.

People with information can contact Edenderry Garda Station on (046) 9731290

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Thanks for the information.

Half of me says the poor bastard awful thing to happen while the other half says the careless bastard he doesn't deserve to have one.....im sure we will here more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,394 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Thanks for the information.

Half of me says the poor bastard awful thing to happen while the other half says the careless bastard he doesn't deserve to have one.....im sure we will here more.

I don't understand this half

lawred2 wrote: »
    I don't understand this half

As in victim of a crime...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Being a victim of a crime is one thing, but when you are entrusted with the ownership and use of a firearm, its a very different thing. If the firearm was left in a car for 3 days and stolen (tbh, even if it was left unnatended for 1 hr), then as far as I am concerned, the owner is now responsible for a firerm being in the hands of criminals, not something I wold want on my conscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

As much perhaps as the possible victim who could be shot with this weapon?

Hardly stolen as a souvenir...

• Advertisement

As much perhaps as the possible victim who could be shot with this weapon?

Hardly stolen as a souvenir...

Off course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

What happens in circumstances like this. Are any additional licenses the man has canceled and firearms confiscated. Or is it the discretion of the local superintendent what happens to the guy

Luckysasha wrote: »
    What happens in circumstances like this. Are any additional licenses the man has canceled and firearms confiscated. Or is it the discretion of the local superintendent what happens to the guy

I know a guy whose house was broken into and the gun was taken along with the safe. After about two years he got a license again.

Id say in this case as has been said above he will struggle to convince a Superintendent that he can be trusted with a gun into the future.

Its a pretty crazy situation to put yourself in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There are too many possibilities to know for sure what will happen.

Depending on how many firearms and the storage requirements that the man had to adhere to will depend on how much they were violated and what consequences may be coming. By that i mean if he only had one shotgun and was told he only needed a trigger guard then the fault lies with the local Gardaí for not asking for more security.

there is a belief that you must have the gun(s) in a locked case when in a car, and while i won't say i'm 100% sure on this, i believe it's only in the Commissioners guidelines and not in any Act or SI as a legal requirement. It is bets practice, but some simply don't do it. Some people have it as a condition on their license but that is a case by case basis and at the discretion of the Super.

Also, and i cannot remember the details so excuse any inaccuracies, i remember a similar type situation about three years ago when a chap had three firearms stolen from his house. The Gardaí would not issue him with new licenses for the guns he wanted to buy to replace them. In court, the guy brought them to court to appeal the refusal, the Judge said the man [guy the guns were stolen from] cannot be treated as a criminal or to be at fault as he adhered to the security requirements, the CPO signed off on them, and done all within his power to make sure they were safe. He likened it to someone stealing your and then An Gardaí trying to punish you cause it was used for a bank robbery or other traffic offenses.

On a personal note it was a silly thing to do. I don't like the idea of any of my guns being in the car if i'm not in it, even when parked at my house, in my driveway, and 100% secure. I think the chap will find some sort of problems in the future. Whether that is refusal for new license, substitution to a new gun, revocation of other guns, etc. I don't know. It's not the first time guns have been stolen and won't be the last.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Leaving a firearm in an unattended vehicle was a foolish thing to do. However there is more danger of a stolen vehicle being used in further crime than the firearm. How many people would like to see vehicle owners subjected to the same security conditions as gun owners?

• Advertisement

sfakiaman wrote: »
    Leaving a firearm in an unattended vehicle was a foolish thing to do. However there is more danger of a stolen vehicle being used in further crime than the firearm. How many people would like to see vehicle owners subjected to the same security conditions as gun owners?

The car wasn't stolen, the firearm was. A firearm is stolen for very specific reasons, they are not in any way comparable to theft of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The car wasn't stolen, the firearm was. A firearm is stolen for very specific reasons, they are not in any way comparable to theft of a car.

But can do a hell of alot more damage as we have seen over the last 18 months.Both here and abroad.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

sfakiaman wrote: »

A firearm can be and should be locked in a safe, not left in an unattended car. A car can’t be locked away as easily as a firearm. Whoever left the shotgun in the car is either absent minded, or careless, neither of which are characteristics I would see as suitable for firearm ownership. There is no excuse for leaving a firearm unattended for 3 days in a car.

When I have a firearm in my car, it is never out of sight. It only happens if I stop by the petrol station on the way to the range to pick up a coffee/sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

I'm probably excessively paranoid. If I'm bringing a rifle in the car I put the slip bag in a black bin bag so no nosy neighbours or passerbys might see what might be going from the house to the car. If I think I might stop for petrol/coffee whatever I have a chain and padlock that I put through the trigger guard thats secured to the chassis of the car and I have the bolt on my person.

If I'm bringing the pistol I keep it in its case in a regular looking anglers bag that I'll carry with me into the garage/supermarket etc.

On another note, after handing in my pistol renewal application I got a call from the FO asking for a letter from a RFD to prove that the mags were plugged for 5 rounds. I got the licence years ago without ever having to prove this. Anyone else get this ? Anyway did all that and licence renewed in fairly quick time so happy days for another 3 years.

Heckler wrote: »
    On another note, after handing in my pistol renewal application I got a call from the FO asking for a letter from a RFD to prove that the mags were plugged for 5 rounds. I got the licence years ago without ever having to prove this. Anyone else get this ? Anyway did all that and licence renewed in fairly quick time so happy days for another 3 years.

When I applied for the semi shotgun, I had to get a letter from the range to say that the gun was limited to 3 shells. It was actually a bit of a pain, because the gun was missing the restrictor rod, so I made one from bamboo until I could get a replacement aluminium rod from a supplier in the UK.

goz83 wrote: »
    When I applied for the semi shotgun, I had to get a letter from the range to say that the gun was limited to 3 shells. It was actually a bit of a pain, because the gun was missing the restrictor rod, so I made one from bamboo until I could get a replacement aluminium rod from a supplier in the UK.

Surprised it was only from the range. I was told it had to be in writing from an RFD. Headed paper and all that. But hey, whatever keep the PTB happy !

Its a load of nonsense anyway. Would take about 10 seconds to remove the plug.

Why do you want your pistol ?

For competition.

Here ya go. Restricted to 5 rounds.

But the comps are 6 round per stage.

Shhhh.

Farcical.

OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Always feel sorry for the victim of any crime.. but leaving a gun in a car for 3 days, that's really careless.

..bet the owner wouldn't leave his phone in the car for 3 days !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Heard a story about 30 years ago of an Italian gentleman from the town who had his car stolen in Dublin.
    Rang the Gardaí who told him that they would keep an eye out for it but it would probably be a few days before the car was found (if ever)

Italian gentleman said "Not too worried about the car really, its just that I have a pair of shotguns in a case in the boot".

Car was returned within an hour (minus the guns -cos they were never in the boot):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭NASRPC

I'm probably excessively paranoid. If I'm bringing a rifle in the car I put the slip bag in a black bin bag so no nosy neighbours or passerbys might see what might be going from the house to the car. If I think I might stop for petrol/coffee whatever I have a chain and padlock that I put through the trigger guard thats secured to the chassis of the car and I have the bolt on my person.

If I'm bringing the pistol I keep it in its case in a regular looking anglers bag that I'll carry with me into the garage/supermarket etc.

If you held the pistol license before Nov 2008, you are entitled to apply for a restricted license, which allows you to have mags with a capacity over 5 rounds.

If you did not hold a pistol license for that firearm before Nov 2008, you do not are not so entitled and must have your magazines restricted to 5 rounds, in order to apply for a license, or renewal

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Hey NASRPC, seeing as you've surfaced, you might have a look at the other thread below re: the Sports coalition and yourselves and answer the questions which have been put to you and tell us what the **** is going on ????
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057550761/18/#post105022446

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

Well said wirehairmax

• Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You do realise that you can kill someone with a car?

eagle eye wrote: »
    You do realise that you can kill someone with a car?

You know, I really couldn't be bothered arguing equating a stolen firearm with a stolen car, you are welcome to your own views on it, I have no desire to waste my energy trying to explain how reckless and dangerous it is to leave a firearm unnatebbded in a vehicle. No excuse whatsoever

Surprised it was only from the range. I was told it had to be in writing from an RFD. Headed paper and all that. But hey, whatever keep the PTB happy !

I had purchased the gun second hand from an RFD in the midlands and my range is in Dublin. The FO rang me about the plug and did say he would need a letter from the RFD. I told him that the gun is stored/kept at the range...which also happens to be an RFD...so that was fine.
    Vizzy wrote: »
    Heard a story about 30 years ago of an Italian gentleman from the town who had his car stolen in Dublin.
    Rang the Gardaí who told him that they would keep an eye out for it but it would probably be a few days before the car was found (if ever)

Italian gentleman said "Not too worried about the car really, its just that I have a pair of shotguns in a case in the boot".

Car was returned within an hour (minus the guns -cos they were never in the boot):D

Will have to remember this if a car ever get stolen on me again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭neolithic

Following on from the posts above, what do people do when staying overnight in a hotel on a hunting weekend away from home. Maybe this should be in a new tread?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hey NASRPC, seeing as you've surfaced, you might have a look at the other thread below re: the Sports coalition and yourselves and answer the questions which have been put to you and tell us what the **** is going on ????
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057550761/18/#post105022446

Surprise, surprise. Post deleted and head firmly back in sand (or up arse depending on your view point).

I told you all already they won't respond to anyone and the deletion of the post and running away from the question only highlights the problem here. They refuse to answer, and continue to do things on their own agenda.

BTW when i say they, i mean the top few at the NASRPC. They would be (from the website):

PS - Apologies OP for going off topic.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

It's a pity that deleting post doesn't leave a gap in the post numbering sequence. Anyone looking in later can't see that something is missing.

• Advertisement

neolithic wrote: »
    Following on from the posts above, what do people do when staying overnight in a hotel on a hunting weekend away from home. Maybe this should be in a new tread?
    Engage your brain, decide where is the gun safest. I was advised years ago to take the fore end from the gun and keep it separate. That was before the requirement to have a safe.

Advertisement