Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Shotgun left in car for 3 days..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

neolithic wrote: »
    Following on from the posts above, what do people do when staying overnight in a hotel on a hunting weekend away from home. Maybe this should be in a new tread?

There's a thread from a good while ago where a hotel porter saw a person carrying a gun case through the lobby, then went to the room and entered it without the guest being present. Saw the shotgun and called the Gardai, think it was in After Hours but I forget what the outcome was.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭neolithic

Engage your brain, .

Thanks for the helpful and constructive advice............

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Vizzy wrote: »
    Heard a story about 30 years ago of an Italian gentleman from the town who had his car stolen in Dublin.
    Rang the Gardaí who told him that they would keep an eye out for it but it would probably be a few days before the car was found (if ever)

Italian gentleman said "Not too worried about the car really, its just that I have a pair of shotguns in a case in the boot".

Car was returned within an hour (minus the guns -cos they were never in the boot):D

Urban legends do travel far and wide..another version is a guy sees three lads breaking into his shed in the middle of the night .Rings the local cop shop and is told they don't have a car or manpower able to respond.The guy rings back ten mins later saying not to bother, he just shot the three of them. 15 mins later there are two van loads of armed response, a helicopter, two ambulances and four patrol cars at the house surrounding the shed along with a ton of brass. The Cheif grabs the guy and says these lads are still alive.You said you had shot them?Guy responds well you said you didn't have a car or manpower to respond.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Urban legends do travel far and wide..another version is a guy sees three lads breaking into his shed in the middle of the night .Rings the local cop shop and is told they don't have a car or manpower able to respond.The guy rings back ten mins later saying not to bother, he just shot the three of them. 15 mins later there are two van loads of armed response, a helicopter, two ambulances and four patrol cars at the house surrounding the shed along with a ton of brass. The Cheif grabs the guy and says these lads are still alive.You said you had shot them?Guy responds well you said you didn't have a car or manpower to respond.

Heard that one before. Its funny cos its sadly what might transpire.

If I had to call the guards over a break in I'd mention I was worried they might be after my firearms. Guaranteed faster response.

Following on from the posts above, what do people do when staying overnight in a hotel on a hunting weekend away from home. Maybe this should be in a new tread?

The EU[mostly] So long as it is in a locked case with the keys in your possession and the room was locked...That's good enough.
    Here and the UK..Paranoia reigns supreme.Again the above would be advisable and be buying maybe a gun case that doesn't look like one?Some companies are making gun cases that look like guitar cases, so stick a few FEEL THE BERN Hillary 2016, or Ban Bloodsports stickers on it for extra cammo:pac::P

Or if your gun is breakdownable like most of ours are.Get a smaller lockable hard case, break down the gun and put the hard case in a bigger piece of luggage.IE a good sized duffel bag.What I use for trans EU shooting trips when I am not flying.
    Cheap , nasty and effective.a set of handcuffs thru the action and mag well, or trigger gaurd with some plastic cable shrink wrap on the bow to prevent scratching and the other end secured to something immovable.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Heckler wrote: »
    Heard that one before. Its funny cos its sadly what might transpire.

If I had to call the guards over a break in I'd mention I was worried they might be after my firearms. Guaranteed faster response.

FACT.I can attest to that one from experiance.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Cass wrote: »
    Surprise, surprise. Post deleted and head firmly back in sand (or up arse depending on your view point).

I told you all already they won't respond to anyone and the deletion of the post and running away from the question only highlights the problem here. They refuse to answer, and continue to do things on their own agenda.

BTW when i say they, i mean the top few at the NASRPC. They would be (from the website):

PS - Apologies OP for going off topic.

Wow Know 2 of those and had no idea they were NASRPC ! 2 decent fellas in my experience but with the politicing who knows !

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's a thread from a good while ago where a hotel porter saw a person carrying a gun case through the lobby, then went to the room and entered it without the guest being present. Saw the shotgun and called the Gardai, think it was in After Hours but I forget what the outcome was.

Sounds like a load of me h*le mate, is that the best yarn you could post ? 😉

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Del2005 wrote: »
    This one.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭neolithic

Cass wrote: »

Thanks for posting that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

It wasn't really an Urban legend, the guy that told me the story was the Italian gentlemans son.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Thanks for posting that.

Apologies, I stand corrected. Boys what a fiasco

Vizzy wrote: »
    It wasn't really an Urban legend, the guy that told me the story was the Italian gentlemans son.

Gotta admit the simmilarity tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There's a lot of versions of that one though. The one I've heard of was a US photographer (as in National Geographic photography) who had several tens of thousands of dollars' worth of kit go missing in baggage handling, so he bought a smallbore pistol.

From then on, when he packed his kit, he packed the (unloaded, he never bought ammunition) pistol with it. If it went missing, he reported the firearm as missing and on at least one subsequent occurrence the kit was found miraculously quickly.

Problem is, verifying stories like that is next to impossible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Gotta admit the simmilarity tho..

Oh, absolutely, and I would have been sceptical myself except for the fact that the guys son told me.
    I have had similar type instances ( no guns, thankfully) as part of my job.

Advertisement