Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car write off

• 19-10-2017 5:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    My car was wrote off in an accident
    No injuries just car damage.
    The insurance company is valuing it way lower than I would value it, about 2k less.
    What are my options in this situation?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi All,
    My car was wrote off in an accident
    No injuries just car damage.
    The insurance company is valuing it way lower than I would value it, about 2k less.
    What are my options in this situation?
    Thanks

You can dispute but not easy.

Get together evidence similar cars are selling for x amount and use the revenue calculator also for on market selling price.. Now revenue one can be way off on the extreme but can give an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

You need to get your own engineer to put a valuation on it. Insurers, generally, will not accept adverts from garages, buy & sell, Autotrader etc., as the prices quoted in those are considered to be "opening offers" by the seller and the final cash price agreed is the true market value of the car. They may accept these adverts if you are only disputing a few hundred and will accept a compromise

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

My Dad's car was stolen recently and deemed written off by the insurance company - is it possible to get a second opinion on the estimated costs of repairs and who would do this? Repair value has been estimated at 6k, and they are valuing the car at 4k. If you find a cheaper repair option than the insurance company, can you go ahead and get that done and still get the insurance company to pay? or do they force you to get it done by whom they have approved. Are you even allowed to get a second opinion?
    Someone also mentioned to me asking for a repair quote from the insurance company. is this a done thing?
    Any tips or assistance would be most welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

If the pre-accident value is €4k, that is the max the insurer will give you. If it is a Cat C or D write off (repairable), you can offer to buy the salvage back from them and get it repaired yourself. When insurers settle a write off, the car becomes their property and they will have agreed a price with a salvage yard.

Seriously, I wouldn't repair it myself. You'll have to get an engineer's report to get it insured again and other insurers might not want to quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

thanks for the reply. My question really is - is their estimate for repairs correct? If they say it's 6 grand to repair but I can get a repair quotation for 4 grand - can I ask them to get it repaired at the 4 grand place. Never mind the value of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

thanks for the reply. My question really is - is their estimate for repairs correct? If they say it's 6 grand to repair but I can get a repair quotation for 4 grand - can I ask them to get it repaired at the 4 grand place. Never mind the value of the car.

You can't ignore the value of the car. They won't pay 4k to have it repaired, they will pay you 4K as a write-off and sell the car for scrap. The cheaper option for them is to declare it a write-off with a street value of 4k so the net cost to them will be 4k minus the scrap value. Your father gets a cheque for 4k, they get a few hundred for the scrap value.

Or as poster Sue_Pa_Key_Pa says, you can accept 4k and buy the car back from them in which case you can get it repaired anywhere you choose but it sounds like a marginal case. With the flood of UK imports, secondhand values are down and it probably won't be worth repairing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭miketheDIYman

I hope you are storing the car at your own place as if it was like my sons it was towed away and stored but ran up a huge storage bill before Insurance Company of car who hit him agreed a price. Also his own Insurance Company were offering him more but he didnt want to lose his no claims so its a tricky one !

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ashish.13

Hi All,

Will the insurance company write off the car if the cost of repair is nearly same or more than 1/3 of its estimated price.?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

ashish.13 wrote:
    Will the insurance company write off the car if the cost of repair is nearly same or more than 1/3 of its estimated price.?

No

Advertisement