Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum notice?

Options
  • 19-10-2017 9:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26

Long story short we're renting and moved a guy into our spare room three months ago and we didn't offer him a lease agreeing on a month by month basis. Now he's been caught twice doing some seriously sick stuff to our belongings while drunk and we want him gone immediately. Is there a minimum amount of time that's allowed? His behaviour falls far past abusive/anti social into sick and he's probably going to get aggressive when we ask him to leave. Is the end of the month ok, being ten days away or can we ask him to leave immediately?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

He's a licensee, only entitled to "reasonable notice". If he's making you that uncomfortable then maybe give him until the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You can demand he leaves now. By 'now', I meant right there at that last full stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Parklife1988

Caranica wrote: »
    He's a licensee, only entitled to "reasonable notice". If he's making you that uncomfortable then maybe give him until the weekend?

Thanks. He is yeah. Do we have to put it in writing?

endacl wrote: »
    You can demand he leaves now. By 'now', I meant right there at that last full stop.

Wish it was that easy. If he does refuse to leave we'll probably have to get police involved. Are they of any help in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

If he has being doing some as you describe sick stuff I would be thinking kick him out now what to stop him doing more if you give him notice of a week. Chances are he is not going to be happy so would look to get him out as soon as possible. If you are thinking to give him say a day maybe wait til weekend(or other day off) so you can be there the whole time between giving notice and him gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Change the locks!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rossmores

grab his key and politely explain the next time he closes the door its his last

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Wish it was that easy. If he does refuse to leave we'll probably have to get police involved. Are they of any help in this?

Probably handier to just have all your friends round for a cuppa. Not to intimidate or strongarm. Just to be present when you explain to him that he doesn't live there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Ok, I'll ask then (because everyone is wondering anyway!!).......

What did he do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Had a few **** lodgers, no tolerance is the best approach, kick them out no chances

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

endacl wrote: »
    Probably handier to just have all your friends round for a cuppa. Not to intimidate or strongarm. Just to be present when you explain to him that he doesn't live there anymore.

I was about to say the same thing myself. Once he is gone, I would change the locks also. Even if he gives the keys back, he may have made a copies
    Askthe EA wrote: »
    Ok, I'll ask then (because everyone is wondering anyway!!).......

What did he do?

I was waiting to see how long it would take for somebody to ask :pac:

Thanks folks.
    You wouldn't actually believe me. Pure rotten though.

Thanks folks.

I assure you, Ive seen worse in this game.....

Thanks folks.

I'm actually curious now

I'm actually curious now

Me too, give us a hint OP, GWAN GWAN GWAN!!

A while back Came down to use the toilet middle of the night to find him in the bathroom at the sink but couldn't see what he was doing. He was locked. He left and let me use the bathroom.
    Next morning fond my toothbrush in the holder but covered what looked like stubble cobwebs leaves and possibly sh!t.
    It could possibly have fallen down the side of the sink which has all that stuff except the sh!t it's a tight gap between the wall and the sink. Possible.
    My suspicions were up but couldn't prove anything. Asked him outstraight the following day did he know anything about it? Had no idea what I was on about.
    Ok.

Bought a new toothbrush. Hid it in my workbench outside the toilet ever since. Like youd really have to go digging for it among toolboxes etc.

Came down last night middle of the night. Almost identical scenario. Saw the light was on. Asked was he in there. Panicked 'Yep just finished all yours'. He wasn't even doing anything in there, didn't flush, He comes out and again is locked. I go in And there's my toothbrush sitting on the cabinet in the bathroom. And I know I'd hidden it earlier. Looked at the hiding place and right enough everything has been moved.

Didn't make a row of it then cos he seems to be one of these people that have an alcoholic allergy and go total psychosis different personality out if control when they're drunk -he's literally locked on two cans. Always claims he blacks out and can't remember. I believe that funny enough but still.

Waited til I got a few responses and went down once I heard him up and told him I want him out on the 31st and I'm arranging viewings for the room starting tomorrow. He was all 'why what's wrong? Was I too loud?' And I just closed it down saying it's not up for discussion you're going. He didn't push it so he knows he's caugh by the balls.

Probably should have handed him it in writing but I was too pissed off.

Now just have to sit out ten days and hope he doesn't fvck with my dog, which I also have a funny feeling he's been doing somehow, the dogs gone for him a few times and he's never once ever in 6 years done that with anyone.

Gonna be a long stretch til the end of the month but I'm not dealing with this sh!t anymore.

Jaysus..... you have a live one there!!!!!

*like if he's doing that a poxy toothbrush what's he been doing in my room when I'm not here? And he really really would have had to go looking for the new one

Pure warped.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Now just have to sit out ten days and hope he doesn't fvck with my dog, which I also have a funny feeling he's been doing somehow, the dogs gone for him a few times and he's never once ever in 6 years done that with anyone.
    Put the dog into a kennel for peace of mind, tbh. If he gets the dog to bite him, he may use it to get back at you.

You're best putting all your toiletries in your room and getting a lock for it in future, theres some odd balls out there. I'd also be mindful of food

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Put the dog into a kennel for peace of mind, tbh. If he gets the dog to bite him, he may use it to get back at you.

I can get him minded. Good idea thanks. He doesn't even bark, barely when someone knocks on the door that's literally it. He's never once even snapped at anyone and I know my dog. I've seen him go for him maybe three times. Totally out of character. I'll get him looked after when I'm in work. Thanks.

You're best putting all your toiletries in your room and getting a lock for it in future, theres some odd balls out there. I'd also be mindful of food

That also crossed my mind today. Luckily I buy dinner every day rather than a weekly food shop so it's really only milk n eggs in the fridge all the time. But a good idea thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

And the twats in Govt want people to live in shared ownership!
    I have lived with some strange people, I would never leave my tooth brush out and in a lot of cases plenty of other stuff too, heard a few horror stories from people I knew sharing.
    You just never know who people are, doesn't matter how nice they seem, absolutely nothing to stop them going through your stuff when you're not around, I always locked my door when out after getting some stuff stolen, you'd have concerns sleeping at night, woke once to find someone in the bedroom.
    If changing the lock, ensure you get as good a quality as the one you are replacing and make sure you have a spare for the landlord agent pronto, and get them a copy too.

1874 wrote: »
    And the twats in Govt want people to live in shared ownership!
    I have lived with some strange people, I would never leave my tooth brush out and in a lot of cases plenty of other stuff too, heard a few horror stories from people I knew sharing.
    You just never know who people are, doesn't matter how nice they seem, absolutely nothing to stop them going through your stuff when you're not around, I always locked my door when out after getting some stuff stolen, you'd have concerns sleeping at night, woke once to find someone in the bedroom.
    If changing the lock, ensure you get as good a quality as the one you are replacing and make sure you have a spare for the landlord agent pronto, and get them a copy too.

So many odd ducks out there

Advertisement