Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of leaves

Options
  • 19-10-2017 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We keep getting leaves blowing into our front driveway as I'm sure many do. There's a ton after the storm and I'm wondering if I bag them can I head down to the green a few mins from my house and dump them there?

Up till now I've been dumping the leaves behind a shed in back garden (along with cut grass) but it's just creating a problem I'll need to deal with down the road

Or any other suggestions on how best to get rid of them?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Put them in the compost recycling bin. While leaves are not the worst thing to be putting 'on the green' (I assume there are some 'wild' bits and you are not proposing to leave the bag?) if you do it very soon everyone else is dumping grass clippings, branches, weeds etc. I live beside one of these greens and it has taken ages to convince people not to use it as a dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Believe it or not but dumping them at the green is illegal and considered littering.
    To be honest, if you can contemplate bagging them and taking them elsewhere then there are not that many. I would need a dozen ton bags to transport what's in my garden. Take them to a recycling centre that takes green waste if you wish.

If you want to make a leaf mould compost, put them in bags, pierce a few holes in the bags and stack them somewhere until late next summer when you will ah e great material for mulching flower beds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

let them dry out and burn them

* you're allowed burn garden waste aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I wait for a storm with a really strong wind and sweep them into the airflow for the next county along to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

philstar wrote: »

No. Or rather, not outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭shane b

Try some of the local recycling/amentity centres as some may take them. My local one takes grass clippings, trees & leaves. Depending on the quantity there may be a small fee though.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

If you want to make a leaf mould compost, put them in bags, pierce a few holes in the bags and stack them somewhere until late next summer when you will ah e great material for mulching flower beds.

Thanks - think I'll give this a go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I wish you were :(

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Claroc

What sort of bags would you use for this? just the normal black plastic bag or the white tonne bags?

• Advertisement

Claroc wrote: »
    What sort of bags would you use for this? just the normal black plastic bag or the white tonne bags?

Black bags.

where's the harm in burning a few leaves ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

define 'a few'. 'few' generally means 'a small number'. if you want to burn, say, seven leaves, i doubt you'll attract too much attention.

Personally, I see little harm and always liked the process myself but those are the laws now forced on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Why not stick then in brown bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Compost them...buy/make a wormery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Lleave them alone, they will blow away

define 'a few'. 'few' generally means 'a small number'. if you want to burn, say, seven leaves, i doubt you'll attract too much attention.

about this amount, seven hundred and seventy seven ;)

burning-leaves.jpg?fit=750%2C477

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

OP
    Separate the leaves from the cut grass.
    If you make up a spot behind the shed to compost them with two sections you can put one years leaves in one heap and wait two years before using it. The second section will hold the following years leaves. You now have a manageable rotation. Anything that keeps the leaves together and stops them blowing away will do to make up the sections, scrap timber, chicken wire etc.
    When you see the lovely rich crumbly leaf mould that you will get you will never see leaves as something to get rid of again.

about this amount, seven hundred and seventy seven ;)

burning-leaves.jpg?fit=750%2C477

That's a tiny amount of leaves. Hardly worth the bother burning them. That volume could easily be scattered in the ditch at the bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

elperello wrote: »
    OP
    Separate the leaves from the cut grass.
    If you make up a spot behind the shed to compost them with two sections you can put one years leaves in one heap and wait two years before using it. The second section will hold the following years leaves. You now have a manageable rotation. Anything that keeps the leaves together and stops them blowing away will do to make up the sections, scrap timber, chicken wire etc.
    When you see the lovely rich crumbly leaf mould that you will get you will never see leaves as something to get rid of again.

I always used to mix the grass with the leaves as much as possible by picking them up with a large mower but no more than 50/50. The cut leaves and grass always broke down much quicker, no more than a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I keep all my grass cuttings, grass and bits of paper to make compost. All of it goes in to my veggie beds every year or I add it to the flower beds. Free fertiliser.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

If you are in Dublin and you bag them up the council will come along and collect them for you. DCC will anyway.

Advertisement