Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics Cafe Dying

Options
  • 19-10-2017 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭

As the title says, the PC seems to be dying a slow death. It's been four months since the new changes were brought in and the cafe became members only. I don't think the change worked for the better. Are there any discussions going on how to revive it or is it to remain as is?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Personally, I think that every forum should have as open door policy as is possible, and in the ideal world, if every poster in the Cafe could adhere to a very simple ethos of thinking about how they post, then that wouldn't be a problem.

The changes to the cafe weren't brought about lightly - despite repeated attempts to keep things in check, the Cafe became a beacon for malcontents and keyboard warriors, and abusive posting and dickish behaviour in the Cafe had gotten to the point where the only options remaining were to either take the measures we took, or to close the cafe completely, and the latter option that was given serious consideration. So one could say that the Cafe was already circling the drain, and we made a last ditch effort to pull it back.

As for the current status of invite only, (not members only), the requirements are minimal - unless you have an atrocious record built up already, everyone is welcome. Anyone with a record that precludes them from access now - if they keep their nose clean fro a few months, they can request access again. In short, if you haven't been a dick, you'll get access. If you have been a dick, but you make an effort not to do so in future, you'll get access. If you've been a dick, and have no intention of changing course, you won't get access.

Will those requirements change in future, I don't know. Nothing is set in stone, but ultimately the need for those requirements is down to the userbase, and how they act within the Cafe.

What changes would you propose bringing about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I think the effect of the invite only system has been exactly the same as if you had simply banned the prolific offenders but you now also have the extra effect of very few new voices. I'd ditch the invite only system and, if possible, make it so only people with 20 posts or so on the site can post in the PC. It would weed out the spammers and those who want to rereg to troll.

I disagree that the Cafe was circling the drain, I think the sink was close to overflowing. Now it's running near empty. And i think you now need to turn the tap back on.

Advertisement