Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing lost tags

• 19-10-2017 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Have a few ewes who only have one tag, some are missing the eid more are missing the normal tag, just wondering should I replace the tags wth a new set or just order replacements, tags are gotten off mullinahone but I dont know how to order replacements, thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Whole new set and record which new tag goes with each old number.

If ya really want to keep the same number you can, I find emailing those types of orders the best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭DJ98

Is the old tag number set wrote into the individual tag number replace box in the flock register?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭arctictree

What about ewes that have lost both?!

DJ98 wrote: »
    Is the old tag number set wrote into the individual tag number replace box in the flock register?

Yup

2 tags lost...in theory should have 2 red tags put in her and only sold to a factory

• Registered Users Posts: 22 LambMaster

Have a few ewes who only have one tag, some are missing the eid more are missing the normal tag, just wondering should I replace the tags wth a new set or just order replacements, tags are gotten off mullinahone but I dont know how to order replacements, thank you!

Cormac Tags are rather good at dealing with custom orders etc. Their new website is fairly easy to work with. I find the tags off Cormac are smaller and less likely to come off. Legally if you replace the tags with a new set (new number etc) they can only be sold to the factory.

• Advertisement

LambMaster wrote: »
    Legally if you replace the tags with a new set (new number etc) they can only be sold to the factory.

Only if you can't link the old number to the new on

• Registered Users Posts: 22 LambMaster

ganmo wrote: »
    Only if you can't link the old number to the new on

I didn't know you could do that. I usually just order a replacement tag as when I'm dealing with my pedigree flock, numbers would have to be changed with the association etc. How do you link it with the old one?

LambMaster wrote: »
    I didn't know you could do that. I usually just order a replacement tag as when I'm dealing with my pedigree flock, numbers would have to be changed with the association etc. How do you link it with the old one?

In the flock register

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭DJ98

In the flock register

So for talks sake a ewe with number 00150D only has one tag and you replace that with a tag set 00787B, what do you write in the register?

So for talks sake a ewe with number 00150D only has one tag and you replace that with a tag set 00787B, what do you write in the register?

Date - R (for replacement) - new number - old number
    Then maybe a small note in the right saying lost tag or something like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭kk.man

You can order a new single tag to match the other ear. It will have idential numbers and letters. Just request it on line from your supplier. Am sure you can ring them with the order too.

Order them when you ordering a batch of tags ...saves on the p + p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

kk.man wrote: »
    You can order a new single tag to match the other ear. It will have idential numbers and letters. Just request it on line from your supplier. Am sure you can ring them with the order too.

Order them when you ordering a batch of tags ...saves on the p + p.

I'd say you're easier to put in a full new tag set when you have her caught to read the old number.

Have a notebook with you and record the new number before catching the ewe. Cut the remaining tag out and replace the 2 and record the old number after letting the ewe go.

If you order the replacement you've to catch the ewe, record the number while it's still in the ewes ear, order the tags, catch the ewe again, read the number again and find which tag is the right one from the bunch you ordered and tag the ewe.

I've made the assumption there's more than 1 ewe missing a tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Whole new set and record which new tag goes with each old number.

If ya really want to keep the same number you can, I find emailing those types of orders the best
    So do you cut out the one remaining old tag and put in a new set of eid tags (even though it might be a ewe that had the old style tags)?....and then record the old and new replacement buns in the flock register?

For ‘replacement buns’ .....read replacement ones!:)

So do you cut out the one remaining old tag and put in a new set of eid tags (even though it might be a ewe that had the old style tags)?....and then record the old and new replacement buns in the flock register?

Ya cut out the single remaining tag and use the same hole for the new tag

All our white tag ewes are gone

Ya cut out the single remaining tag and use the same hole for the new tag

All our white tag ewes are gone

Have only two left here,tanks of Cheviot ewes whose mouths are still firm,time will tell but I think they will make it through winter ok and rear again next year.

Advertisement