Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

change to a 1 x chainset

Options
  • 19-10-2017 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

Bought a second hand cross bike. Currently fitted with a triple chainset. Just wondering can I remove current chainrings and turn it into a 1 x chainset by simply adding a narrow wide chainring

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Should be do-able. Others with more info can clarify, but as you are looking to retain the existing spider/crank and just use a N/W chainring, the availability of a suitable ring that fits the mounting points on the spider will the be issue, I suspect. In order to maintain an optimal chain line, you should probably use the middle ring mounts and it could be tricky to get a N/W ring that will fit that....... Using the inner or outer ring positions will significantly compromise the chain line - moreso than if the donor crank was a double or standard. You will have to do a bit of experimenting I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

Yes you can but you might need to budget for a new derailleur too. If the spring tension is weak then you will suffer many dropped chains. If so get a derailleur with a clutch mechanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I run 1x10 setup with just a standard Sora road mech, with the B screw all the way in to increase tension. No problems with chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

Alek wrote: »
    I run 1x10 setup with just a standard Sora road mech, with the B screw all the way in to increase tension. No problems with chain.

Sounds like your derailleur springs are working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

As current chainset is a triple can I remove the 50 t and 30 t chainrings and use middle chainring to make it 1 x 10

• Advertisement

Sounds like your derailleur springs are working fine.

True. What / how long does it take for them to stop?
    As current chainset is a triple can I remove the 50 t and 30 t chainrings and use middle chainring to make it 1 x 10

Yes you can. You may experience more chain drops than with a proper N/W ring, but not necessarily - depends on your riding style. N/W rings are cheap from superstarcomponents.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Alek wrote: »
    True. What / how long does it take for them to stop?

Yes you can. You may experience more chain drops than with a proper N/W ring, but not necessarily - depends on your riding style. N/W rings are cheap from superstarcomponents.com

Cheap as chips. I haven't had a chain drop since I switched over.
    The whole thing was very easy to set up. I just did exactly what Alek told me to do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

lizzylad84 wrote: »

will you need shorter chain ring bolts??

will you need shorter chain ring bolts??

Yes, or a set of 2mm (or so) washers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Should probably add that current shifters abd rear mech is campagnolo veloce

• Advertisement

I have no experience with converting campy stuff unfortunately.

Advertisement