Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best lure for winter pike

• 19-10-2017 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Post name of lure and maybe a link on where to buy if that's allowed.

I've only used a small #2 mepps spinner and medium perch and small pike seem to like it. (Need bigger fish)

I'm wondering about other lures and swimbaits. I tend to get frustrated if I get snagged every time while letting other types of lures sink etc so I prefer the spinner.

Looking for suggestions for something in the canals and small ponds/lakes that works well in snaggy situations.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Yellow "fllying C" never let's me down, all year round. Biggest ive cauvht is 15lbs but i think thats as big as they get here.I even get the odd perch on them. I'm sure it depends on the lake or river and what's available to them though.

My small lake, no one has ever caught anything deadbating, ever, but the spinner barley hits the water and they bite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

you could use soft plactics, and use the texas rig. the hook is hidden in the lure and pops out when a fish takes it. look online for more information. Or else use slow sinking lures or floating lures that dive down when u crank it , then stop and it floats back up. In winter time you need to work the lures a lot slower than you would in summer, as pike are more lethargic,the canals need a good frost to get rid of the weed. one or two places i fish are still overgrown with weed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Rapalas Rapalas Rapalas - These are flying out the door for me for the pike - they are half price though that has a lot to do with it.

We are also seeing a massive increase in pike fly fishing - myself and my fly tying guru are starting to get a lot of orders for tandems - getting very popular

22687657_177806802770585_2119604255580273404_n.jpg?oh=fff39cd8767a93c630d3220348fcac87&oe=5A685301

22540200_177806789437253_2914457372436588817_n.jpg?oh=234a34b70980cb6dc9f5bbfcccab5e4b&oe=5A67A537

https://www.facebook.com/Slaneyfishing/photos/pcb.359693914488715/359693391155434/?type=3&theater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

ardinn wrote: »
    Rapalas Rapalas Rapalas - These are flying out the door for me for the pike

What colours do you recommend? Might put in an order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

jme2010 wrote: »
    What colours do you recommend? Might put in an order.

All the sinkers are going - I may only have one of each left, with regards the shads and minnows the usual dark perch and pike colours and the whites with blue, red, or yellows.

Mail me on fb i'll send you what I have - this is only a small few - there is saltwater mixed in ignore them! https://www.facebook.com/Slaneyfishing/photos/pcb.359693914488715/359693391155434/?type=3&theater

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 RockyRory

best lure is the savage gear 4d trout with the stinger treble. gotten some huge pike on it down in Derg.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

5 1/2" ABU Killer or 6 1/2" Rapala Floating, triple x treble hook, floating-diving Black back silver sides

Most of the ones in my used box would have more than 50 pike caught. Hard to beat, but maybe not the best for the biggest pike in the coldest weather

For very cold, if not using deadbaits, I tend to shift to red and white or fluo yellow to up the visibility and give a pike a little more time to get to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

coolwings wrote: »
    Most of the ones in my used box would have more than 50 pike caught.

mine are usually lost in weeds long before they get to that number!

I do very little lure fishing in winter, but when I do I like lures that can be worked at a slower retrieve. Some of the savage gear stuff is very good, but also expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Perch rapala all day long retrieved slow with the odd jerk to liven it up.dead bait is small mackerel under a float with a few prods cut in it before you cast it. If it’s not taken after 15 minutes wind it in a few yards to a fresh spot.manys the take I got when just moving a dead bait

Advertisement