Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ready to go ahead with this build... Any last advice?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

I wouldn't spend £100 on a Windows 10 key. You can use it for free, it just has a water mark in the bottom right corner that you'll barely notice. What resolution are you going to be using?.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Case is way too big unless you have about 6 hard drives you need to put in there. A standard midi tower should do just fine.

The 1070ti is out soon as well. What monitor will you be using this with?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DigBipper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

DigBipper wrote: »
    That's a freesync monitor best coupled with an AMD card. G-sync is Nvidia.

I seen that alright, but G-sync is way out of my ball park in terms of price... Pretty sure the monitor would still suffice just without the 'sync' technology.

Monitors have given me more grief than every other aspect of putting this together combined. My budget for a monitor is around €500. Was hoping to get everything for around €2000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

As BloodBath says, wait for GTX 1070 Ti
    Hopefully it shakes up the market prices for the 1070 & 1080.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Before the 1070/1070TI bit, I reckon this would be a generally better build for the extra tenner:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor (£273.47 @ BT Shop)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.05 @ Ebuyer)
    Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£98.84 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£135.51 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£74.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£53.50 @ Aria PC)
    Case: Corsair - 750D ATX Full Tower Case (£119.68 @ Alza)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 (EU) 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£77.35 @ CCL Computers)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit (£100.37 @ More Computers)
    Case Fan: Noctua - NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan (£16.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Other: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 Mini graphics card 8GB GDDR5 Quad Display (£359.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Total: £1335.73
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-24 15:23 BST+0100

- i5 8600K is a good deal stronger than the 1600 (and finally brings 6 cores to Intel).
    - The extra 200mhz RAM isn't worth the price difference, re 3000/3200mhz
    - Extra 35GB SSD for the same price. I've got the 525GB model, it's very good.
    - Switched the PSU to a lower price Gold+/full modular, both have great reputations
    - For cases check out the NZXT S340, a few have used it here and it and it looks pretty fantastic (similar enough look to the one in yours), pretty sure it's about half the price as well.

i5-8600K stock is "8 on order, no confirmed delivery date"

Just spotted this now Billy86. Thanks

• Advertisement

No worries, if you do go with the i5 8400 by the way it (as well as the Ryzen 1600) come with their own CPU coolers which should save a few extra quid either way for you (any Intel chip with a 'K' by it's name however does not come with a stock cooler). The i5 8400 would be more powerful than the 1600 but not necessarily by a large distance and because of the expensive motherboards, you might be better off going for the 1600 + an £80ish B350 motherboard for a total of about £250 GBP (€280ish). To get the best from Ryzen you'd want 2666mhz or greater speed ram while the Intel would do fine with 2133mhz but that's only about a £15-20 difference back.

Always keep an eye on PCPP before ordering though, esp on the GPU - you'll often find some decent prices like £360 1070.

Those cheap 1070s/1080s seem to always be shipping from America; not worth it for the import fees tbh.

Just spotted this, seems a great price https://www.gladiatorpc.co.uk/configure/config/68637

Even updating the ram to 16gb and adding a dvd drive and wireless adapter comes to £1,320... Have never built before so there is definitely an apprehension in doing so. Also the 4 year warranty! What do ye reckon to it?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Those cheap 1070s/1080s seem to always be shipping from America; not worth it for the import fees tbh.

Not necessarily; there's certainly a bit of opening a few on PCPP to make sure the prices are listed correctly and delivery/import fees etc, but taking a check a lot of them are about £6 delivery to Ireland (at least if on Amazon where I find it easier to take a quick check with my account).

I find the most frustrating part is often the cheap prices listed on PCPP (primarily being through Amazon) not being accurate, which I'm guessing has to do with their habit of offering vastly reduced prices on some units in the week or two before release, which I'm assuming revert to normal either on release date or when [X] number of units have been pre-ordered. You think you've spotted one for £312, click the link and bang it £395.

OP, I would also say to check Amazon directly for 1070s quite regularly - if you get a bit lucky and have the patience to wait an extra week or so, they often have units going at huge discounts about two weeks before they are in stock. These only last for a very short time though, so for example if you see a 1070 for £320 without the large import fees etc to offset, I'd say to dive on it immediately.

Advertisement