Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to purchase monitors?

Options
  • 19-10-2017 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi guys, in the market for a new monitor. Looking for a 1440p, 144hz, G-Sync monitor to go with my new 1080ti build. Been looking around amazon at a few but none seem to ship here. PC World have them in stock but they are a good 1-150 more expensive. Any recommendations?

Also, anyone any experience with buy IPS panels of the above spec, did you have much backlight bleed? Been on the fence with an IPS one and might just go with the Dell TN one for a safety net.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

i bought the Dell S2716DG on amazon. Really lovely display.
    Just use Parcel Motel. The package was oversized and i had them deliver it to me through niteline. Cost 15 euro in total for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Raekwondo

Virgil° wrote: »
    Just use Parcel Motel. The package was oversized and i had them deliver it to me through niteline. Cost 15 euro in total for delivery.

Never used them before, is it an easy enough process?
    BloodBath wrote: »

Yeah I have a few in mind already,

Acer Predator XB271HU
    ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q
    Dell S2716DG

2 are IPS, other is a TN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Raekwondo wrote: »

Yeah just register an account on their site. They give you a NI UK address that you can use to ship to. Bypassing amazons UK delivery only on many items.

Then you choose a locker close to you to collect non oversized stuff. They notify you via email or text when your parcels arrive and in the case of oversized items(Dell gysnc monitors). You can either collect it from a depot or click a button on your account page to have it delivered to door by niteline for another few euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Yeah I have a few in mind already,

Acer Predator XB271HU
    ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q
    Dell S2716DG

2 are IPS, other is a TN.
    Personally id go for the Rog over Pred.

• Advertisement

Personally id go for the Rog over Pred.

I've heard they are more prone to quality problems such as bad backlight bleed though? That's my fear is having to send it back multiple times to get a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I bought the Asus ROG PG279Q from Scan.co.uk a couple months ago. No problems so far with the screen (maybe because I only run it at 120Hz?), and ordering and delivery was grand.

Scan deliver by DPD, so if you have any vendetta against them...

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I bought the Asus ROG PG279Q from Scan.co.uk a couple months ago. No problems so far with the screen (maybe because I only run it at 120Hz?), and ordering and delivery was grand.

Scan deliver by DPD, so if you have any vendetta against them...

Main problems I've seen are backlight bleed ones. Where on black screens like loading screens, you see a white glow around the borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Main problems I've seen are backlight bleed ones. Where on black screens like loading screens, you see a white glow around the borders.

I fullscreened a relatively black picture, and I think I do see a bit of extra glow in the bottom-right hand corner; although since it changes based on my angle it might just be IPS glow rather than bleed. Either way, it hasn't bothered me so far and I'm happy with my purchase.

Cameras generally don't showcase it well, but have a look and see if that would bother you: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o6eHEsZ7d58hhNTOsyRzTIuHzHTo6jILeg (ignore the left-hand side, that's just glare from the window)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I actually got my C24FG73 delivered from PC World of all places. Cheaper than Amazon.

• Advertisement

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I fullscreened a relatively black picture, and I think I do see a bit of extra glow in the bottom-right hand corner; although since it changes based on my angle it might just be IPS glow rather than bleed. Either way, it hasn't bothered me so far and I'm happy with my purchase.

Cameras generally don't showcase it well, but have a look and see if that would bother you: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o6eHEsZ7d58hhNTOsyRzTIuHzHTo6jILeg (ignore the left-hand side, that's just glare from the window)

Yeah thatt wouldn't really bother me, especially if its just on pure black loading screens. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Virgil° wrote: »

You need to be careful about parcel motel. Amazon don't care, but sellers within Amazon have policy's against third party handlers. For example, when it arrives busted you don't know if the carrier to Nightline did it, or Nightline themselves.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I took delivery of my Dell S2716DG this morning,fantastic monitor.
    I notice its gone up 80 sterling on overclockers since i ordered on Tuesday :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I have an AOC Gsync 165hz monitor and love it. There is a small bit of BLB in the bottom right corner but you don't notice it most of the time and not at all when gaming. You can RMA one if you get a bad screen but you could get a worse replacement. All the luck of the draw really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dado82rm

What about laptopsdirect.ie ? They ship in dublin for less than 12€
    The 2k 165gz AOC is less than 470€
    I am thinking to buy that monitor. But I am waiting January

Advertisement