Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeschooling / unschooling

Options
  • 19-10-2017 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I've been toying with the idea of throwing myself into homeschooling with more of an unschooling take on things. This is a decision I have been considering since pregnancy. I was wondering if there is anywhere or anyone out there that could give me some views and opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

ccardoso33 wrote: »
    I've been toying with the idea of throwing myself into homeschooling with more of an unschooling take on things. This is a decision I have been considering since pregnancy. I was wondering if there is anywhere or anyone out there that could give me some views and opinions.

How many kids? Are they in school already? What's your reason behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Are you on Facebook? There are numerous extremely active Irish homeschooling groups on Facebook, including a specific unschooling group. The Irish community is very active and there are lots of meet-ups regularly and even a few unschooling co-ops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

iguana wrote: »
    Are you on Facebook? There are numerous extremely active Irish homeschooling groups on Facebook, including a specific unschooling group. The Irish community is very active and there are lots of meet-ups regularly and even a few unschooling co-ops.

unschooling using that particular combination of technologies amuses me.

My concern with it is the cost for the resources. Pooled education can afford the resources most parents don’t have. Athletic coaches, language teachers, computers, art and craft resources, science labs, libraries etc.

In my experience you have to be quite wealthy to manage a rounded education and enough exposure to various disciplines for your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

And what is your experience? Because even just thinking that unschooling and Facebook* are somehow amusingly at odds with each other suggests you don't know very much about it. Perhaps you're confusing unschooling which is usually heavily technologically based considering that children are very naturally drawn to technology with Steiner which is quite anti-technology?

*I presume Facebook is what you were referring to by 'particular combination of technologies?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

iguana wrote: »
    And what is your experience? Because even just thinking that unschooling and Facebook* are somehow amusingly at odds with each other suggests you don't know very much about it. Perhaps you're confusing unschooling which is usually heavily technologically based considering that children are very naturally drawn to technology with Steiner which is quite anti-technology?

*I presume Facebook is what you were referring to by 'particular combination of technologies?'

I was more pondering the vast quantity of methodical testing completed by those involved with internet technology from the semiconductors, boards, network landscape, to switches, OS, DBs, the code and interface level, to application analytics etc etc etc. The kind of hyper-structured development process which is in effect there, is a strong contrast with unschooling, which is unstructured.

I know it uses plenty of tech resources, hence the rest of my post, where I said you need to be able to afford the resources to fund it correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

What is unschooling?

Advertisement