Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Additional charge!!!

Options
  • 19-10-2017 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

Not sure where I stand with this,
    I purchased an item online for €700, the sale was agreed and the fee paid. The item has dispatched and now I’ve noticed a second payment of approx €130 . I queried this with customer care and was told they forgot to add vat. Are they entitled to take second payment from my account??

I’m fuming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,023 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No.

Two problems - the sale was accepted, shipped etc. The deal is done. Also consumer prices need to include VAT.

If they refuse to discuss it with you, ask your bank to charge back the €130.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Not sure where I stand with this,
    I purchased an item online for €700, the sale was agreed and the fee paid. The item has dispatched and now I’ve noticed a second payment of approx €130 . I queried this with customer care and was told they forgot to add vat. Are they entitled to take second payment from my account??

I’m fuming.

And if no luck with a chargeback, and it was purchased in the EU, the European Consumer Agency will help you out

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

mopi wrote:
    Thanks Ed E, royal mail reported delivery at 0620 and I have seen a pretty useless PM check-in photo at 1335 on the website. Now 1930 and still waiting for an email, perhaps it's the Limerick depot that sends the email and some patience is required. PM limerick say they 'may' deliver to lockers on a Saturday staffing permitting as now is a very busy time.

phobia2011 wrote:
    Not sure where I stand with this, I purchased an item online for €700, the sale was agreed and the fee paid. The item has dispatched and now I’ve noticed a second payment of approx €130 . I queried this with customer care and was told they forgot to add vat. Are they entitled to take second payment from my account??

If this is all very recent and you ordered online you have distance selling regulations on your side. Who pays for return shipping may be disputed. Is refusing to accept delivery an option ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Standard Irish VAT rate is 23%, ie @ €160.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,023 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Standard Irish VAT rate is 23%, ie @ €160.

I'm assuming it's from another country with a lower VAT rate and either they sell under the threshold to Ireland or are even more incompetent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I'm guessing it's another eu country (probably Germany wiw19% vat) and the site is probably a trade site and they sell at price + vat in their home country.

If it is primarily a trade site, they may have assumed you were vat registered and did not apply vat and only after checking did they realise you did not have a vat number and applied the vat.

If it's a trade site you can refuse the delivery and get a refund (excluding delivery and return costs) or pay the extra vat.

If its a consumer site you need to check the terms and conditions you agreed to when ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

If you paid by credit card did you get an email receipt for the transaction (original one)?

If there are 2 transactions on your card I'd start by talking with your card company immediately to let them know you only authorised one transaction...email them the confirmation you received.

Good luck getting the cash back.

After you do, close your credit card account & open another one or else you could have further charges processed again by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

daheff wrote: »
    If you paid by credit card did you get an email receipt for the transaction (original one)?

If there are 2 transactions on your card I'd start by talking with your card company immediately to let them know you only authorised one transaction...email them the confirmation you received.

Good luck getting the cash back.

After you do, close your credit card account & open another one or else you could have further charges processed again by them.

That ain't going to happen that easily

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

That ain't going to happen that easily

what isnt?

Advertisement