Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamaha MT-09 Trike, opinions?.

Options
  • 19-10-2017 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

MT-09 Trike at the Tokyo Bike Show.

Opinions?.

At first I laughed and thought this was a joke, a bad one too.

But looking at what could be potentially a real trike to go into production I'm thinking 'beast'.

And brilliant for people with mobility issues who still want to ride but who can not for one reason or another ride two wheels.

I've only ever rode one trike, a Gilera 500 which a work mate has. Tbh it was nice and I can see there being a market for a big trike like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Not really into trikes myself but thats probably because I haven't ridden one, I guess it would make a lot of sense in the UK as well because of their weird laws regarding trikes, its also a lot slimmer than many others I have looked at.
    If it gets people mobile that would otherwise be unable to ride a bike because of disabilities then its all good.
    I bet braking performance is pretty good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Well its twice as ugly as theyre current MT range.....imo..and i dont see how a disabled ex-biker (usually in a chair) could use it..

Well its twice as ugly as theyre current MT range.....imo..and i dont see how a disabled ex-biker (usually in a chair) could use it..

Its usually balance issues that prevent people from riding PTW that they have to balance, look at the work that Honda and Yamaha are doing with intelligent and self balancing bikes.

https://global.yamaha-motor.com/news/2017/1012/tms.html
    https://youtu.be/3qGX3rn3s0I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Not really into trikes myself but thats probably because I haven't ridden one, I guess it would make a lot of sense in the UK as well because of their weird laws regarding trikes, its also a lot slimmer than many others I have looked at.
    If it gets people mobile that would otherwise be unable to ride a bike because of disabilities then its all good.
    I bet braking performance is pretty good as well.

I think it (MT-09 trike) could be rode here on a car license.

I don't particularly like the build quality of the MT range, its cheap and nasty when you're up close & personal with them but I think if I had mobility issues and wanted to stay on a 'big' bike I'd certainly consider something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

I'll reserve judgement until I see it at NEC, if it's there... It looks interesting though.
    I think it (MT-09 trike) could be rode here on a car license.
    From my understanding it's down to the wheel base on the front whether it's car or not, there isn't too much info out there unfortunately.

• Advertisement

If you had a full B car license before 2013 you can ride a trike (any CC)
    After Jan 19 2013 You must have a bike license.

If Gilera still made their 500 trike I'd seriously consider one for the future (having rode the mates).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

If Gilera still made their 500 trike I'd seriously consider one for the future (having rode the mates).

I'd add an apostrophe there if you have a mate that has a trike! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

There you go
    Gilera Fuoco as Scooter in Overath

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Colm17RvB wrote: »
    wheel base on the front

Can you clarify what you mean by that, do you mean front "track"?

Wheelbase_and_Track.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

I don't particularly like the build quality of the MT range, its cheap and nasty when you're up close & personal with them

Untrue with the original of the species, the 01.
    Superb build quality there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I'm no engineering expert but those front "shot-gun" forks look nasty...cant see how the wheels wouldnt twist..also the lean angle (pic 3) is cat...

Zebbedee wrote: »
    Untrue with the original of the species, the 01.
    Superb build quality there.

True, I had one for many years, it was an amazing machine. Build quality was excellent.

I'm no engineering expert but those front "shot-gun" forks look nasty...cant see how the wheels wouldnt twist..also the lean angle (pic 3) is cat...

The same way that a single sided swingarm doesn't twist.
    Doubled USD forks clamped in a massive clamp will be extremely stiff.
    Look at the damage that happens to a bikes frame with USD forks in a crash, often the forks will be OK and the frame bent.
    That lean angle looks not too bad for a trike with a fairly narrow track, it could be actually more than many bikers lean a two wheeler over!

macplaxton wrote: »
    Can you clarify what you mean by that, do you mean front "track"?

Wheelbase_and_Track.png

Track that's it. The MP3 LT is for Long Track, they're car licence friendly, the non LT aren't, if I recall correctly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Thanks for clarifying. Although track is a width rather than a length, so would be described as wide or narrow, rather than long or short.

Actually having thought more about it, I guess L is for the Italian word larghezza, meaning width.

macplaxton wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying. Although track is a width rather than a length, so would be described as wide or narrow, rather than long or short.

Actually having thought more about it, I guess L is for the Italian word larghezza, meaning width.

I'll ask Trev in Moto4u next time I'm in there which one it was :D

Looks like its on the way for 2018

The MT-09 Niken

Looks like its on the way for 2018

The MT-09 Niken

Asimo is the test rider by the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I like it but I can't see who it's aimed at. You won't be able to filter on it so it's going to rule out the majority of bikers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

D3V!L wrote: »
    I like it but I can't see who it's aimed at. You won't be able to filter on it so it's going to rule out the majority of bikers.
    Its 885mm wide, surely that's not a problem for filtering?

Lumen wrote: »
    Its 885mm wide, surely that's not a problem for filtering?

Its barely wider than a 2 wheeler, most bikes are around 900mm width with mirrors.
    I can't see filtering being a problem on this, plus with 2 wheels your front braking grip is effectively doubled, which in a greasy city streets is a definite plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There's the added advantage that you could ride the centreline and still have full braking grip. Would make acceleration more exciting too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Whatever it is, it leans so it's not a trike.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Whatever it is, it leans so it's not a trike.

EU category L5e says its a tricycle. There appears to be no fixed definition on leaning or non -leaning in the UNECE type approvals.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Daft. Makes all the difference from the driver/rider point of view and licensing.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Daft. Makes all the difference from the driver/rider point of view and licensing.
    I know, I know but...as I said before, in this State the date you recieved you full license determines whether you can ride it as a bike or on your car license.
    Before 2013 if you had a full B you can ride it on your car (B) License.
    After it you need a Full (A) Bike as its over the Kw/kg limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sh!teinabucket

Dunno what I think of it looks wise.but it has to handle better than "traditional" trikes.
    Have seen quite a few goldwing trikes on dungdeal lately. Look very well finished but jaysus the price of them...that and there's no way in he'll they handle well.

A few can-Am spyders aswell (not quite as eye watering price wise and would handle much better I'd imagine as a "reverse trike") can kinda see the point of them : you get the open air feel of a bike without the whole "2 wheel = dangerous" most cagers associate with bikes,the fact that it leans would give them an even better idea of a motorbike,but at the price that is likely to cost I doubt that many would convert fulltime to a bike, especially when they try sell the shagging thing to fund said bike...

That said,ye just never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Interesting bike. Could it be a good solution for the all year round commuter? How would it fair up in frost/icy conditions compared to a 2 wheeler? Should we expect it to handle better in these conditions?

Advertisement