Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamaha MT-09 Trike, opinions?.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I do like the idea of a motorbike that I can't easily fall off, but I fear that I would end up just crashing faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Interesting bike. Could it be a good solution for the all year round commuter? How would it fair up in frost/icy conditions compared to a 2 wheeler? Should we expect it to handle better in these conditions?

My mate got one (gilera mp3) for that exact reason. He moved up to Roundwood and was afraid he'd be stuck if he had a 2 wheeler. Obviously you can still stick it in a ditch, but I'd rather be on the 3 wheeler if a bit of snow fell.
    I like it, while I wouldn't buy one myself, there has to be a market for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The Yamaha guy said that it has 80% more front grip, front grip being the hardest to obtain and the biggest consequences for you if you lose it.
    Given the popularity of the MP3 and the Tricity for urban riders its a really big issue for many riders.
    I bet you'd be able to ride the Niken pretty hard around a lot of the bad roads here with a lot of confidence.
    Its not made as a foolproof bike but one designed to give better grip for the average rider and many living in cities where greasy roads are prevalent.
    80% extra front grip would be a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

80% more front grip is impossible. Otherwise you could add a wheel to a motogp bike and make it faster than an F1 car with no downforce.

More consistent grip probably. If one tyre hits a narrow patch of gravel you still have grip from the other.

But you may just end up crashing faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Theyre a fad...get more people onto bikes..yeah right, then they fall off and declare that "bikes are dangerous"..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Theyre a fad...get more people onto bikes..yeah right, then they fall off and declare that "bikes are dangerous"..:rolleyes:

So are shotgun but people still buy them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Grumpy Bike Wizard

Lumen wrote: »
    80% more front grip is impossible. Otherwise you could add a wheel to a motogp bike and make it faster than an F1 car with no downforce.

More consistent grip probably. If one tyre hits a narrow patch of gravel you still have grip from the other.

But you may just end up crashing faster.

One wheel takes the other with it a lot of the time I'd say.

Search on youtube for 'piaggio mp3 crash' and there's a heap of videos of lads riding along normally and then going on their snot because one wheel lost traction or hit a bump.

Riva10 wrote: »
    So are shotgun but people still buy them. :)

Yeah..sick people....:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Yeah..sick people....:)

Maybe only sick people buy and fall off motorcycles. If that is true WE are all doomed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

It commanded alot of attention at the NEC there when we were over there on Thursday last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It commanded alot of attention at the NEC there when we were over there on Thursday last.

....indeed - just looking at the thing, there's a huge amount of engineering gone into it, so they must be confident of selling some.

I'd love a go on it tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

And for that reason I'd be out. I would imagine you wouldn't be able to leave it anywhere without people sitting on it or pulling out of it trying to topple it. Also I can't see it being easy to park on a path somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

It's over engineered and over complex... The servicing and repairs would be OTT compared to a regular bike. It's unlikely to be capable of more than a regular bike and would need lots of technical aids...

I can see the potential on a bike like the MP3, but not a bike like the Yamaha.

It does look great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The more I look at it the more I'd like to take one for a spin.
    It doesn't look that complex to me, OK 4 sets of fork legs vs 2 but the rest of it doesn't look overly complex. Yamaha make pretty robust stuff in my experience and I am sure they have done some heavy duty testing on the parts to make sure it is up to the job.

Yeah...like a freak in a circus show....:p

Advertisement