Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home made shaving brushes.

• 19-10-2017 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hello everyone.
    Some time ago I've started making shaving brushes. Here's a couple of pictures:

24mm Two Band Finest Badger Knot.

dsc_0153.jpg?i=1441548568

dsc_0157.jpg?i=867621921

2999e149de50a779c6c7ddc8e3d272a2.jpg

66fb48e6ad24d9f195422f67b4d8129a.jpg

67f2b00e7954de6f1de92a046ac05189.jpg

dsc_0191.jpg?i=1064801677

dsc_0198.jpg?i=829693613

dsc_0215.jpg?i=1057648812

dsc_0216.jpg?i=1442353778

dsc_0217.jpg?i=1531917432

dsc_0219.jpg?i=76606909

dsc_0223.jpg?i=1633665028

dsc_0224.jpg?i=1969617841

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Beautiful work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I was just going to ask if you make an M7 clone. Looks lovely but I expect nothing less from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭macrob77

Thanks. Yes, i've done M7 inspired handle. It went to the UK :)

Did it come with the nice little box behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Excellent work. You must be quite proud.

My main achievement in this department is an home-made shaving brush holder, made by the artful process of twisting a coat-hanger.

• Advertisement

Here's another one. Black Anvil - Fionn. 24mm Tuxedo style synthetic knot. Black American Walnut handle with Celtic knot inlay.

dsc_0229.jpg?i=1908098816

That's stunning! I'm starting to think I need a new brush.

This one is for me :) I'm testing new wood finish on it. I can make you one, no problem ;)

Few more i've done recently:

930__x_violin.jpg?zoom=1.25&w=714

dsc_0372.jpg?i=460795817

dsc_0375.jpg?i=1772588607

dsc_0324.jpg?i=1752494953

dsc_0311.jpg?i=231437250

dsc_0349-2.jpg?i=152279914

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

What is the material in the brush bases (not wood)? There are such lovely reflections in the material. Do you do this by shaping with a lathe? (Complete doofus question probably, please excuse my ignorance). These are really lovely pieces of art, I must keep them in mind in future when looking for special presents for the men in my life. Well done on your great work.

• Advertisement

Thanks :) Handles are made of hand poured resin. Then turned and polished on a lathe. No two handles alike.

Jesus Christ, what happened here. I just wanted to show my work, not to start WW3.
    I'm sorry if i've offended anyone. I will not show any of my shaving brushes on this forum anymore.

Have you given any thought to doing resin and wood combinations like the ones done by Rodney Neep at pensoftheforest?

Something like this if you're unfamiliar with his stuff

1134-kingfisher1-300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

archer22 wrote: »
    Badgers are a protected species...your products are illegal
    macrob77 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, what happened here. I just wanted to show my work, not to start WW3.
    I'm sorry if i've offended anyone. I will not show any of my shaving brushes on this forum anymore.

I hate when things like this happen. Very fine work Macrob & I'll be in the market for a new brush shortly. Possibly more than one for a gift or two. Pity I didn't know about them before Xmas.

Can you please send me on a link to your site, you've just gained at least one new customer because of Archer.

I hope that's not the case. We love seeing your handiwork.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well that was a thread ruined. NO more on the ethics of badger hair or any other hair/wood/whatever. If it's a discussion anyone wants to have then fine, start a new thread on the matter.

I'm gonna remove the off topic posts and replies. And Archer do NOT post in this or any similar thread with this off topic guff again. You ruined a very good thread. Well done. *slow handclap*

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I truly hope this isn't the case M

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Archer banned for ignoring warning and dragging an actually worthwhile thread off topic and bloody ruining it. Wave your flag somewhere else. Post deleted.

Ok, i'm back with first shaving brush made in 2018 :) Badger knot on the left and synthetic on the right. Gold, black and transparent resin handle.

black-anvil.jpg?i=1408118909

Great to see you back. Beautiful as always.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

They are lovely

Would you mind talking us through where you get the materials and maybe a little step by step if you ever have the time like a mini tour :p

Like for instance, do you have to source the hair locally or foreign etc? Feel kinda bad over my own badger hair tbh always assumed it was from culls but that's not your fault

Have you ever sources horse hair locally, is it available in Ireland, etc

What kinds of woods and does it take long to craft one

Be interested to know your setup have you a workshop etc

It's nice to see anyway. Don't feel pressured to s answered anything but I'm genuinely interested to know

Thanks for teh posts

• Registered Users Posts: 1 macrob

Don't do knots myself. I'm buying them ready-made. They are available on eBay so i assume that everything is legal.

Don't do wooden handles anymore. I prefer resin. Completely waterproof and will last for years. Casting turning blanks is great fun. I'm turning my handles on a wood lathe in my shed.

So I had a rather lovely brush show up this morning. It's an M7 styled handle with a 24mm Plissoft synthetic knot.

Only got around to opening it a few minutes and it's gorgeous.

My picture doesn't do it justice so hopefully macrob posts some pics he has.

440948.jpg

Very nice picture :)

Another custom shaving brush completed.

dsc_0457.jpg?i=1580093704

dsc_0456.jpg?i=54401158

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Them brushes look absolutely class.well done.

Thank you Doctor ;)

Leinster Rugby themed shaving brush. Before final polish.

TQYqXcZ.jpg

Looks good Maciej. I assume there will be a follow up picture after the polish?

• Advertisement

I'm affraid not because tomorrow it's going to the new owner.

But there you go, few shaving brushes i've made recently.

cUj8DXe.jpg

hWBm0hU.jpg

953A87h.jpg

1CQx4Zx.jpg

q08tWjM.jpg

Advertisement