Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops selling 'new' iphones

Options
  • 19-10-2017 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

In the market for an iPhone plus and looking at ads on adverts etc

There are a few sellers (with perfect rep) on adverts selling 'new' boxed iPhones for well under RRP.

What's the story here? Are they actually refurbs? Reboxed handsets that they've repaired?

Quad

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

quad_red wrote: »
    Hi folks

In the market for an iPhone plus and looking at ads on adverts etc

There are a few sellers (with perfect rep) on adverts selling 'new' boxed iPhones for well under RRP.

What's the story here? Are they actually refurbs? Reboxed handsets that they've repaired?

Quad

Could be guys that get them on upgrades but don’t actually want them. They then use the money to fund whatever phone they do want.

I do it every 2 years. I get a free upgrade to the latest Samsung, don’t open the box and sell it on adverts. I then sell my old iPhone and find a new iPhone from Apple directly sim free.

Just check the sellers and buy from a good trusted seller on adverts. Check their previous ads etc to get an idea of what kind of stuff they sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Hi kceire,

Totally and that's 100% legit.

I'm talking about sellers that also have shops that have loads of iPhones that appear to be boxed and in plastic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

kceire wrote: »
    I do it every 2 years. I get a free upgrade to the latest Samsung, don’t open the box and sell it on adverts. I then sell my old iPhone and find a new iPhone from Apple directly sim free.
    How do you get a free upgrade to the latest phone if you're using some low cost sim-only plan?

Most carriers charge a couple of hundred to upgrade to the latest phone even if you're paying them a chunk a month.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

This guy is an absolute gent to deal with on adverts, I can assure you all his phones are 100% legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Aquos76 wrote: »
    This guy is an absolute gent to deal with on adverts, I can assure you all his phones are 100% legit.

Having bought from the gentleman mentioned in Aquos76's post, I can certainly say he is the source for genuine products at great prices:):) 100% relialable..

• Advertisement

That is some quality feedback. I want to buy something from him just to experience it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Dades wrote: »
    How do you get a free upgrade to the latest phone if you're using some low cost sim-only plan?

Most carriers charge a couple of hundred to upgrade to the latest phone even if you're paying them a chunk a month.

He didn’t say he was on a sim-only plan - he said he buys an unlocked phone from Apple at full cost.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    He didn’t say he was on a sim-only plan - he said he buys an unlocked phone from Apple at full cost.
    Well then I don't get why you'd buy off network, and then pay loads of money to a network every month anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dades wrote: »

I’m not on a sim only plan.
    I have an unlimited legacy plan. They charge for iPhone upgrades but not android. And the android can be unlocked from them the day after I receive it without even taking it out of the box. I just include the unlock code with the sale.

In recent years through the cost to change using this method has been going up but it has served me well since the iPhone 3GS but as always, I’ll do the sums at upgrade time.

Advertisement