Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo advice

Options
  • 19-10-2017 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hey there, so finally giving in and looking to make a purchase of a turbo, narrowed it down to two direct drive taxc systems, taxc flux

https://tacx.com/product/flux-smart/

And the taxc neo

https://tacx.com/product/neo-smart/

The neo is meant to be quieter, better power accuracy, more power 2200 vs 1500 wont need it :), better max slope and almost twice the price !
    Still willing to spend if difference is worth it. Anyone with experiences of the flux in particular or neo would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I have the neo. It's excellent. Quiet but not totally silent. Mind you, the most noise comes from the chainset itself. Nothing a good clean won't sort. The resistance on the neo is very good and the power measure is highly accurate as it's electronic and not mechanical.

I happily endorse this product!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Jesus, that's an awful lot of money!

I think it's going to be interesting to see how the likes of the wattbike atom (1500£?) is going to shake up the market. None of this wheel removal / bike dismounting and remounting malarkey, just sit up on the trainer in the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 rickydune

fat bloke wrote: »
    Jesus, that's an awful lot of money!

I think it's going to be interesting to see how the likes of the wattbike atom (1500£?) is going to shake up the market. None of this wheel removal / bike dismounting and remounting malarkey, just sit up on the trainer in the corner.

This is a really good point, the watt bike atom looks like a serious bit of kit, not sure if its available in ireland as of yet

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Have the Flux. Very happy with it so far, its very quiet compared to a traditional turbo.
    I find it can be sensitive to skewer tightness at times, too loose or too tight it makes a clicking noise. Once you find the sweet spot it's not much of an issue though.
    Have a look on the Tacx Flux Owner Group FB page, lots and lots of reports of them breaking which is worth keeping in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

rickydune wrote: »
    This is a really good point, the watt bike atom looks like a serious bit of kit, not sure if its available in ireland as of yet

No, UK til well into next year anyway.

-You'd hardly squash one into a parcelmotel? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

Have the Flux. Very happy with it so far, its very quiet compared to a traditional turbo.
    I find it can be sensitive to skewer tightness at times, too loose or too tight it makes a clicking noise. Once you find the sweet spot it's not much of an issue though.
    Have a look on the Tacx Flux Owner Group FB page, lots and lots of reports of them breaking which is worth keeping in mind.
    Saw this alright seem sto be fixed from this article here http://titaniumgeek.com/tacx-flux-review-followup-on-issues-and-response-from-tacx-hq/ but when I looked at the FB page seems liker ther is still alot of issues. Pity seems like alot of functionalilty at that price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

fat bloke wrote: »
    No, UK til well into next year anyway.

-You'd hardly squash one into a parcelmotel? :D

The Watt bike would be the start and the end of all my problems alright, seems like a really impressive piece of kit for that price. 6 months plus was a lot longer than I was hoping for.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Think DC Rainmaker put the elite Direto above the flux in that price fwiw.
    blueballfc wrote: »
    The Watt bike would be the start and the end of all my problems alright, seems like a really impressive piece of kit for that price. 6 months plus was a lot longer than I was hoping for.......
    Plus it would nearly count as a bike!

I use my turbo at least twice a week with TrainerRoad, but still struggling to justify an upgrade to a smart direct drive (from my dumb muin) - the cost v power meter v putting towards n+1 (or 2)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Bought the Neo earlier this week. Wiggle are moving warehouse so it got delayed, would have been only baleedin perfect tomorrow morning...

Advertisement