Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Side Salad to Accompany Lasnage

Options
  • 19-10-2017 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Looking for some ideas of leafy green salad to serve along side beef lasnage...

Hosting a diner with the most obnoxious person i know(friend of OH), so my usual bit of everything is likely to lead to remarks of "oh this is very thrown together" or "oh olives and walnuts don't go"(i don't know if thats a thing but she'll find some combo of ingredients that dont go)

Normally i would not give a fcuk but shes staying over, so i don't fancy listening to her for the night...

She cooked for us last week and in fairness it was amazing, and she went all out and is a great cook but obnoxious as hell

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Serve the green salad before the lasagna. I'd go for a mix of baby gem, rocket and baby spinach with a honey-mustard balsamic vinaigrette and some good but plain-ish bread rolls to mop. Salad needs a cold plate, lasagna is better on a warm one. And if you make a good lasagna you'll have more leftovers just for yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Bate a load of brandy or whisky into her before dinner.....stops the moaning and I find that they make fools of themselves and don't return !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

First off... soften those lasagne sheets in boiling water before putting the dish together.

Next [ ill probably be banned for suggesting this:) ]...if you want her to love the heck out of it sprinkle a bit of this in.
    51gfpIMFyJL._SX425_.jpg

Salad...
    Waldorf variation:
      Iceberg shredded in small pieces. Croutons. Walnuts. Bashed a bit. Ceaser salad dressing (not too much) Apple... something a bit sharp like granny smiths diced into small half slices. Sprinkle lemon juice on these so they keep their green colour. 3 rashers (cut off fat) slice up in little shreds and fry till crisp. Mix then sprinkle the juice of a sharp enough orange to balance granny Smith and ceaser dressing (which can be a bit tart) Slivers of fresh parmesan cheese to top of with wee sprinkle of milled pepper.

Some homemade oven chips too if you can figure out a good recipe.

Good wine from O' Briens (tell them your requirements and they'll recommend accordingly). Buy a pre dinner wine to butter her up a bit too. Or else a nice cocktail.

Earplugs.. while you enjoy a good meal and let her try and put you down but she's secretly jealous.

Keep the portions small enough so she has to beg for more.

Some homemade oven chips too if you can figure out a good recipe.

Not that I'd serve them with lasagna, but - scrub some spuds and give them a good sniff to find any dodgy bits. Cut those off.
    Prick with fork and put on a plate lined with a sheet of kitchen roll.
    Par-cook in microwave. I use medium power for about 3-4 mins for one fist-sized spud, 6-8 mins for 3 spuds. You want it still firm but smelling as if it's started to cook.
    Cool for a bit - stick the oven on to 190C and line a baking tray with parchment. Then chop the spuds. I like 1" cubes.
    In a decently tough and large freezer-bag, put some salt, garlic-pepper, turmeric, a pinch each of mixed herbs and cayenne. (I vary according to meal.) Add a good glug of grapeseed oil or similar.
    Rub spuds around in sealed bag with the flavoured oil making sure to separate and coat each piece, put onto baking parchment and cook at 190°C(fan) for half an hour, turning occasionally, until browned and crispy.
    Yes, you 'waste' a freezer bag but it uses a lot less oil than drizzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Simple salad of rocket, Parmesan and balsamic. Lasagne is rich & creamy so keep the salad simple. You'll notice that Italian salads are often very light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

Hey all

Looking for some ideas of leafy green salad to serve along side beef lasnage...

Hosting a diner with the most obnoxious person i know(friend of OH), so my usual bit of everything is likely to lead to remarks of "oh this is very thrown together" or "oh olives and walnuts don't go"(i don't know if thats a thing but she'll find some combo of ingredients that dont go)

Normally i would not give a fcuk but shes staying over, so i don't fancy listening to her for the night...

She cooked for us last week and in fairness it was amazing, and she went all out and is a great cook but obnoxious as hell

Thanks in advance

what did she cook for you OP? Curious! I always have garlic flatbread with it, I know its double carbs and filling etc but when its done homemade its yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I like a green salad to be just leaves. Any selection, really but I do like rocket and butter head lettuce to be among them.
    Has to be homemade vinaigrette.

Maybe a separate tomato (nice tomatoes) and basil salad.

Keep it simple with fresh, good ingredients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

snowgal wrote: »
    what did she cook for you OP? Curious! I always have garlic flatbread with it, I know its double carbs and filling etc but when its done homemade its yummy!

It was an Indian curry with naan, also some deep fried Indian bhaji's is it and a few other little bits. It was delish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

It was an Indian curry with naan, also some deep fried Indian bhaji's is it and a few other little bits. It was delish

Was the naan homemade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Was the naan homemade?

She said it was, it tasted pretty amazing

• Advertisement

Was the naan homemade?
    She said it was, it tasted pretty amazing

Pretty difficult to get right at home so kudos to her.

Then again, I've dined with people who've sworn something's home made if they heated it up from M&S, slathered it with ghee and chopped coriander to sprinkle along with onion seeds.

Just smile a lot and look confident. It's not "Come Dine With Me".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I made Naan at home before and despite it being very tasty it's so much effort and such a mess to make.

But anyway, salad I'd either go for leaves with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, maybe throw a few good quality cherry or plum tomatoes in. Or get leaves and pumpkin seed oil (it's in my veins, I grew up in the epitome of it), some apple cider vinegar and crush one or two gloves of garlic in. Hands down my favourite salad and it works soooo well with pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

A simple green salad, mixed at the last moment with good olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Shaved courgette is nice in it too, especially if you get different colours.

Advertisement