Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest + Tado Smart Radiator Thermostats

Options
  • 19-10-2017 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Ok so someone please let me know if my thinking is right on this. Upstairs, downstairs, hot water so 3 zones. I buy two Nests which takes care of that. I assume on the Nest that is doing a radiator zone and hot water they can be controlled separately? Seems madness if not.

Then there are a number of rooms we use rarely enough but not never. If I was to attach the tado thermostats to the heaters in those room I could effectively create more zones?

I get that I could also use a full tado system but for some reason I really like the UI of the Nest.

All would work with Homekit and could be programmed with my Phillips Lights etc, so switching apps wouldn't be an issue. Alternatively I have a Control 4 Hub for Music/TV which I could also integrate into I'm fairly sure.

I'm doing more research in to this than add purchase I've ever made so just want to make sure I'm right.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It would work, but it would be sub-optimal.

The issue you have is that lets say the heat in your living room which has the Nest thermostat is currently 22c and thus the Nest thermostat turns off the boiler. Now imagine the heat in one of the other rooms with a Tado TRV drops to 18c, the Tado TRV opens, but there is no hot water coming from the boiler at the Nest thermostat has turned the boiler "off", so that room then won't heat up.

If you had an all Tado system, then you wouldn't have this issue, the TRV in the room at 18c in addition to opening, would also communicate with the Tado thermostat and tell it to turn "on" the boiler.

I guess you might be able to cobble something together with IFTTT or Home Assistant that when the TRV's open, they send a command to the Nest Thermostat to turn on the heat, but no guarantee on that, you'd have to research more yourself.

Of course if you are certain that you will never heat those rooms when the rest of the houses heating isn't on as well (very seldom used guest rooms, etc.) then the above might not bother you.

BTW Yes, Nest should really launch some Smart TRV's, I guess TRV's aren't common in the US market, so they don't realise the demand for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Pique

Netatmo also have smart TRVs and Heating units.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Pique wrote: »
    Netatmo also have smart TRVs and Heating units.

But unfortunately not hot water zone control. I've Netamto myself, love it, but I didn't need hw control (combi boiler).

Advertisement