Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The scumbags on our streets.

• 19-10-2017 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭

Just sat down with the better half to catch up on some recorded telly. Both of us work pretty hard, sometimes away from home, so we try every so often to get an hour or two in front of the box when we're both home at the same time.

The story is a week old, so if it's already been discussed, sorry I must have missed it.

Anyway, she decided to start watching a series link we had recorded on RTcalled "Trauma" which is basically a fly on the wall series documenting the events and procedures our medical services deal with on a day to day basis.

One of the featured stories was on a Czech man named Milan, who had his ear bitten off, for (so far as I could tell) no other reason than committing the heinous crime of happening to be "a foreigner"
    Father-of-three Milan goes to A&E carrying the severed part of his ear in the hope that surgeons can reattach it.

He tells viewers that he was attacked by two men who started abusing him saying things like: “fcuking foreigners in our country”.

“I felt really bad when the guy started spitting at me and telling me I’m a foreigner in his country”, he tells viewers. One man then urged his companion to “bite” Milan’s ear off and they attacked him.

Both men ran off after the incident. During the attack, they also told Milan they knew where he lived prompting him to ask the Gardao watch his family home.

Dr Sinead McArdle, Consultant in Emergency Medicine at the Mater tells viewers that: “to remove a part of someone’s body and the force required to take the whole pin of an ear would be unusual”.

Link here

Upon further research on the story, it seems they have been the victim of racial abuse only weeks before when his wife asked two men, having sex outside their home in broad daylight to move along, she was insulted and attacked in the presence of one of their children.

I mean, here's two immigrants, seemingly hard working people, actually contributing to our society, and they have had to endure this kind of scumbaggery by total and utter ****ing gutter rat low life's for being little more than foreigners in our country?

Really?

This isn't representative of the Ireland I know and love, for all of my 30 odd years of existence!

To the perpetrators If you do happen to be reading this:

Not in my name you lowlife gutter-rat ****ing animals.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I don't give a fook who you are, where you've come from and what your religion is. Once you're a decent, hard working person and contribute to our society in a positive way you can stay as long as you like. Alternatively, there's no lock on the gate buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I have a very simple philosophy on life: I don't care what colour your skin is, where you come from, who you love, what your beliefs are... it's your actions that define you. These scumbags who attacked Milan aren't people... they're beasts. And they should be treated as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

That's beyond a normal assault.

If you go bite someone's ear off in a completely unprovoked assault, I think realistically it should be off to a secure facility with some forensic psychiatrists and kept there long term until they ensure you are no longer a serious threat to the safety of others.

It is not remotely normal behaviour.

We are not really dealing with these issues properly at all.
    Writing it off as 'scumbaggery' is really not doing anything to protect the public.

There needs to be a hell of a lot more done to remove people who are dangerously violent either through long prison sentences or proper care and treatment to get to the bottom of why they are so incredibly violent. It's not good enough to just let them out after a short sentence and have them reoffend and reoffend and reoffend. It's really putting the public at serious risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

They are cretins, like captive animals in a zoo, they only know scum like themselves, if they encounter anyone different to them, they lash out, not because they have some ideology difference, no its just their tiny little brain cannot compute that there are people out there who aren't their particular bred of scum.

this was on the thejournal.ie also. some Irishman came on saying how this guy gave his son a summer job in his bike shop - saying how much of a gent he was.

too much scum in this country who expect taxpayers to pay for their scum life. if you have the money to avoid them by living in a decent area that's what most normal hard-working people want tbh.

• Advertisement

I honestly think that there's an element of turning a blind eye or not being prepared to listen to the fact that there is a really serious problem in areas of Central Dublin with violent attacks and generally unacceptable, anti-social behaviour targeting random people.

There's inadequate policing or policing that seems to be afraid to tackle them properly. They may need police at least armed with non-deadly weapons and trained properly in how to use them.

The judiciary also needs to be capable of taking violent offenders out of circulation and there needs to e places to deal with them to keep them out of harms way and probably figure out why they are so violent. I mean is it drug problems? Maybe brain damage from exposure to substances over long periods of time or do they have some kind of underlying serious psychiatric problems that are going untreated and undiagnosed?

I don't really buy this "oh they're just scumbags" argument. They are behaving in a completely dangerous and very abnormal way, lashing out at random people.

Personally, I think it's all linking back to a total inability to deal with the drugs issue in parts of Central Dublin. It's been out of control for as long as I can remember and there's a very visible heroine problem.

Is this extreme violence perhaps being caused by other substances being taken ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Plenty of chippers open I'd imagine, if they were hungry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Scumbags

I would love to see anti Social behaviour been taken much more serious in this country. It gets too much of the shrugged shoulder.

flaneur wrote: »
    I honestly think that there's an element of turning a blind eye or not being prepared to listen to the fact that there is a really serious problem in areas of Central Dublin with violent attacks and generally unacceptable, anti-social behaviour targeting random people.

There's inadequate policing or policing that seems to be afraid to tackle them properly. They may need police at least armed with non-deadly weapons and trained properly in how to use them.

The judiciary also needs to be capable of taking violent offenders out of circulation and there needs to e places to deal with them to keep them out of harms way and probably figure out why they are so violent. I mean is it drug problems? Maybe brain damage from exposure to substances over long periods of time or do they have some kind of underlying serious psychiatric problems that are going untreated and undiagnosed?

I don't really buy this "oh they're just scumbags" argument. They are behaving in a completely dangerous and very abnormal way, lashing out at random people.

Personally, I think it's all linking back to a total inability to deal with the drugs issue in parts of Central Dublin. It's been out of control for as long as I can remember and there's a very visible heroine problem.

Is this extreme violence perhaps being caused by other substances being taken
    ?

In my honest opinion, no. It's all got to do with their environment, i.e. upbringing. That old expression "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" springs to mind. Yes other substances can be a factor, but I think most of it stems from the parents/family/other members of their immediate environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Badda bee doe bay.

• Advertisement

the other thing is that aside from the terrible incident where Milan got part of his ear bitten off is that his wife was assaulted by two lads having sex in front of their place during the pride parade when she asked them to desist - supposedly a shining light of Dublin's progressive nature.

(mentioned in the clip in one of the links above)

Well, your sexual orientation doesn't really prevent you from being a scumbag or engaging in completely antisocial behaviour.

Pride, Patrick's Day, concerts, matches, you name it ... there'll be something.

flaneur wrote: »
    Well, your sexual orientation doesn't really prevent you from being a scumbag or engaging in completely antisocial behaviour.

Pride, Patrick's Day, concerts, matches, you name it ... there'll be something.

that's indeed true. it's also true that the pride parade is lauded to high heaven with all the googles, facebooks etc jumping on the bandwagon to glean the positive associations - first mention of anything like this I've heard.

glasso wrote: »
    that's indeed true. it's also true that the pride parade is lauded to high heaven with all the googles, facebooks etc jumping on the bandwagon to glean the positive associations - first mention of anything like this I've heard.

Look, you can't really blame the Pride Parade for antisocial behaviour that is associated with absolutely every public event that's hosted in that city.

It doesn't detract from Pride, it just means that two individuals happened to decide to shag each other in someone's front garden. Whether it's gay or straight, it's pretty unpleasant to have to deal with.

Every match you've got situations where people are using people's front gardens around Drumcondra as toilets.

We have regular random assaults at Patrick's Day festivities.

We were at a major concert and some guy decided to just urinate all over the concert goers in front of him because he was off his face on something and had no idea what he was doing.

No matter what you organise in this city (and several other Irish cities) there will be someone out to completely wreck it by behaving like that.

It's actually gone to the stage that I just go to festivals abroad as I prefer the less scary atmosphere.

I saw this story and I was left feeling sick. That poor man and his wife. He came across very well. Runs his own bike hire business. They showed his two little daughters and he said something along the lines of he'll gladly live with the ear , hes just so glad they didn't go further and he's still around for his daughters. The poor guy must have been terrified for his life. No one should have to feel grateful to live with a disfigurement for the rest of their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭foxatron

Was in Dublin city centre on a training course for the last few days. I walk down O'Connell Street on the way. Some of the people you pass are rough as fook. And some are just embarrassing. I was getting on the bus on O'Connell Street, good queue of people waiting to get on. A lowlife in the queue up ahead of me was passing comments on anyone that was in front of him. There was an old man with a walking stick just ahead of him who had got on the bus. He was walking very slow, the scumbag told him to move or hurry up, the bus driver had to tell him he could barely walk and your man kept saying the same ****e. I looked at the bus driver as I was getting on and we both just shook our heads. The old man wasn't Irish and I actually felt ashamed of this scumbag. I was thinking of how much he is costing the state, when he spends his days getting pissed and slagging off people. I don't condone violence but he is one person that's needs a hiding.

I've had abuse randomly hurled at me in Central Dublin plenty of times over the years for everything from the coat I was wearing to being tall, to wearing shades, to just random abuse for no particular reason.

These guys and girls (there are both genders of scumbags) are pathetic bullies and nobody's willing to stand up to them because they know they'll just get beaten up. I think that includes the Gardai.

The end result is that I just don't really use the North Inner City area at all anymore as I just find the whole experience unpleasant.

It would be a fairly nice city if it weren't for this stuff.

I mean, think about it: how many times do you decide to not walk down the boardwalks, feel edgy about walking along the quays, feel you need to walk quickly?
    Have to walk across the street or otherwise avoid an approaching scumbag / group of scumbags. I feel uncomfortable taking out a mobile phone in parts of Dublin and will answer all calls on my headphones.

I even find I prepare my Luas cards and all that stuff so that I don't have to take out cash at the Luas stops at Smithfield, Jervis or any of those red line ones. I don't feel that worried on the Green line stops. I know that sounds 'anti-northside' but it's not the whole Northside, it's just that narrow area of the North Inner City.

I hate to say it, but it's not a very pleasant city to spend time in with this level of nasty hanging around it. It's also a highly divided city. The area around Grafton Street and the whole Dublin 2 is fine. Bits of Dublin 7 around Stoneybatter are fine. The majority of Dublin 1 isn't at all fine and a lot of Dublin 7 isn't either.
    The entire quayside on the Southside along the brewery area is also highly dodgy. Two people I know have been mugged there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Gas thing is, you're there fiddling for your change or Leap card and these fcuking toe rags are just using the Red Luas line as free Scumbag Transport. That's all it is to them. The thoughts of paying on doesn't even cross their amoeba like brains. Handy that it stops at the courts for them too. Scrotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭foxatron

There's a portion of people who don't and won't ever contribute anything to society. And worst of all they have the audacity to expect free money every week, a free house and then probably clock up 101 and continuing criminal convictions. That's what grinds my gears !

foxatron wrote: »
    There's a portion of people who don't and won't ever contribute anything to society. And worst of all they have the audacity to expect free money every week, a free house and then probably clock up 101 and continuing criminal convictions.

But let's be honest here, what exactly is so "audacious" about any of that? I mean, what's ever happened to these people that tells them not to expect free money? If they get to 100 criminal convictions without seeing the inside of a prison cell, then why the f--k should they expect to see it on reaching conviction number 101? Who ever told them not to expect a free house?

Small wonder they act the way they do, they grow up in free houses watching people on free money do what they like without any consequences. Nothing whatsoever audacious about (correctly!) expecting the same deal.

• Advertisement

It has nothing to do with the Gardai and everything to do with the judges.

If you were a Garda would you really be bothered your bollocks fighting and dragging the same person into the back of the squad car, getting kicked, punched, spat at and then fight scratch and claw to get the scummer out of the car and into a cell, only to eventually get him in front of a judge and see him get a 'don't do it again' slap on the wrist?

How many times do you have to fight, argue and chase the same fella over and over before you get fed up?

There are people on the streets with 100+ convictions. That's just the times they were caught! The 'turn a blind eye' and 'sure he had a poor upbringing' attitude from the judicial service is the issue here.

If anti-social behaviour resulted in actual punishment, then it might slowly start to disappear.. but until that happens, however, they're free to do what they want, and they know it.

I really want to see this become more of an issue. I'd love to see something done about it (something worthwhile i mean, not some new laws or legislation that won't be enforced).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

But let's be honest here, what exactly is so "audacious" about any of that? I mean, what's ever happened to these people that tells them not to expect free money? If they get to 100 criminal convictions without seeing the inside of a prison cell, then why the f--k should they expect to see it on reaching conviction number 101? Who ever told them not to expect a free house?

Small wonder they act the way they do, they grow up in free houses watching people on free money do what they like without any consequences. Nothing whatsoever audacious about (correctly!) expecting the same deal.

And the media and politicians everyday ramming a message of how the gubberment dont look after the vulnerable and they are the victims and how they deserve a free house.

Oh and murphy bleating on about how he was elected to break the law.

Ive never seen as many scumbags with no regard for amyone as I do now.

Sad times.

If you were a Garda would you really be bothered your bollocks fighting and dragging the same person into the back of the squad car, getting kicked, punched, spat at and then fight scratch and claw to get the scummer out of the car and into a cell, only to eventually get him in front of a judge and see him get a 'don't do it again' slap on the wrist?

In most District Courts a person convicted of kicking, punching and spitting on a Garda is in big trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

In most District Courts a person convicted of kicking, punching and spitting on a Garda is in big trouble.

They probably wouldn't be if you were the judge, you standing for people breaking the law and all like you demonstrated in the other thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

You'll find scumbags in every country. I've lived and travelled all around and that's the reality.

And the media and politicians everyday ramming a message of how the gubberment dont look after the vulnerable and they are the victims and how they deserve a free house.

Oh and murphy bleating on about how he was elected to break the law.

Ive never seen as many scumbags with no regard for amyone as I do now.

Sad times.
    What free houses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Jeez you know it's bad when the gays are attacking the foreigners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

foxatron wrote: »
    There's a portion of people who don't and won't ever contribute anything to society. And worst of all they have the audacity to expect free money every week, a free house and then probably clock up 101 and continuing criminal convictions. That's what grinds my gears !

I call them Narci-scrotes. Those who feel the world revolves around them, that only them and their attitude matters and that they are entitled to everything and anything without lifting and finger but are still societal scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    You'll find scumbags in every country. I've lived and travelled all around and that's the reality.

Why is this line always rolled out? So what like, its like saying its acceptable to have feral drug fuelled scumbags roaming the streets. I would wager Dublin city centre has a higher concentration of scumbags than most cities per sq ft given its tiny size. A perfectly solveable situation yet nothing is done about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    What free houses?

People paying rent on social houses with social welfare payments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was on a bus in Latvia once when three of these types started to harass a young woman, shouting into her face and generally making a nuisance of themselves. An elderly lady across the bus waded into them with her walking stick, lashing left and right, while two obviously army-trained young men threw them (literally threw them) off the bus at the next stop, with a few clatters beforehand.

Peace restored for the normals we continued on our way.

spurious wrote: »
    I was on a bus in Latvia once when three of these types started to harass a young woman, shouting into her face and generally making a nuisance of themselves. An elderly lady across the bus waded into them with her walking stick, lashing left and right, while two obviously army-trained young men threw them (literally threw them) off the bus at the next stop, with a few clatters beforehand.

Peace restored for the normals we continued on our way.

Whereas if the same thing were done here, they'd be sued for assault and they'd be found liable as well... Pathetic really.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Why is this line always rolled out? So what like, its like saying its acceptable to have feral drug fuelled scumbags roaming the streets. I would wager Dublin city centre has a higher concentration of scumbags than most cities per sq ft given its tiny size. A perfectly solveable situation yet nothing is done about it.

You'd lose money on that bet. Go to certain parts of any major city in Europe or around the globe and you'll realise that. If it's so perfectly solvable how come all these others cities can't solve it? Of course we could go down down the route of these Islamic hellholes like Dubai etc.. and have a completely zero tolerance approach.

I'd dare you to walk down the streets of certain parts of Paris, Naples or London at day or night and tell me you feel safe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

jaxxx wrote: »
    Whereas if the same thing were done here, they'd be sued for assault and they'd be found liable as well... Pathetic really.

While the non-normals whinge about no youth clubs/no facilities and their parents claim they thought they were in the library studying. I taught for almost 30 years in that whole milieu, until I just couldn't stick it anymore.

What really used to sicken me was 'programmes' brought in to reward little brats for 'good attendance' or 'a week with no trouble', while the genuine normal kids came in every day, did their best and never got any trips out as rewards.

We have a large sector who think the world owes them everything who have no problem sticking the paw out for 'their' money. It's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

jaxxx wrote: »
    In my honest opinion, no. It's all got to do with their environment, i.e. upbringing. That old expression "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" springs to mind. Yes other substances can be a factor, but I think most of it stems from the parents/family/other members of their immediate environment.

In the past year alone in the city centre,
    I've had a bottle lobbed at me from the other side of the road as I walked along minding my own business.
    I had a bike seat fired at my head by a gang if kids on bikes that I hollered at for vandalising bikes outside the Jervis centre.
    I got death threats for pushing two kids back from the luas doors after asking them nicely to step in or step off because they'd spent five minutes holding the doors of the tram open so it couldn't move.
    I had some random drunk take a swing at me for no reason while I was standing having a smoke outside a pub.

Those would be the major incidents. I've wittnessed many others and in every case these lairy thugs, many of them minors, react with genuine disbelief if challenged. Often they roam about in groups with the pack mentality of wolves and a complete confidence that there will be no challenge or consequence for their behaviour, and they're not wrong.

A couple of months ago as a spent a couple of hours shopping in town along most of it's major thoroughfares, as an experiment I consciously made note of the number of times a spotted a Guard on the beat..
    In the 2 plus hours I spent wandering around I saw exactly none.
    The city is woefully underpoliced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭properbo

Did anyone get caught ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

No poster here yet is saying there isn't a problem. Anyone who watched the programme found it dreadful, to say the least. One, small, positive has been the public support for the injured person.
    What is needed?
    Not, surely, vigilantes. More Gardaí, more courts, stronger sentencing (guidelines), more powerful courts, more prison places, prisons that reform rather than being, possibly, training schools, zero tolerance? Where/what cities or countries has there been a successful solution? More money spent on the problem because that's initially what it will take? 'Justice' for the victim/s? I don't know but I do know its getting worse. I read John Lonergan and there are deeper issues. The DoJ seems to be fairly poor. Why are the majority of criminals either people from poorer parts of the city/poorer people or people with mental health issues. Forced Army service might just turn them into militarized criminals and would cause an outcry among the 'ordinary, and 'professional' soldiers.
    Just some thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭properbo

Good timing! Just been loaded right now https://youtu.be/f5qzW1Si-UY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It's a pity Trent went into early retirement, he would have sorted these scrotes out in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It's a pity Trent went into early retirement, he would have sorted these scrotes out in no time.

He'd have shagged them first though.

• Advertisement

They probably wouldn't be if you were the judge, you standing for people breaking the law and all like you demonstrated in the other thread.

And you wouldn't need to hear the evidence if the accused were travellers, black people, foreigners etc., you standing for judging people on the basis of ethnicity and all like you demonstrated in other threads...

Advertisement