If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onkyo TX-NR656 remote reset?

Options
  • 19-10-2017 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hy Guys,  I purchased an Onkyo TX-NR 656 from you about a year ago.  It has been great and I have really enjoyed it.  A few days ago though my remote control stopped working.  I have changed the batteries and the red light still comes on the remote when you press a button but it doesn't do anything.  It is an ONKYO RC-911R remote.  I think maybe the remote its self might just need resetting  but I can't seem to figure out how to do that. Any ideas or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭BENJIspendlove

Just gonna throw this out there, i'm sure you've tried it, but just in case. I have the 838 and sometimes for the remote to do anything i have to hit the "remote mode: rcv" button at the top of the remote first, sort of like i'm taking it out of "control other devices" mode and back to controlling the receiver only.

Not 100% sure this "remote mode: rcv" button is on your controller but a quick google is showing similar remotes to mine.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Ohoopee wrote: »
    Hy Guys,  I purchased an Onkyo TX-NR 656 from you about a year ago.  It has been great and I have really enjoyed it.  A few days ago though my remote control stopped working.  I have changed the batteries and the red light still comes on the remote when you press a button but it doesn't do anything.  It is an ONKYO RC-911R remote.  I think maybe the remote its self might just need resetting  but I can't seem to figure out how to do that. Any ideas or suggestions?
    Hey Ohoopee.

Hmmm...

I checked a picture of the remote quickly and unfortunately the button that BENJI does not feature on your remote so would rule out it being switched to the wrong configuration.

I'm also not sure that you can do a reset on a remote.

I'll get in touch with our spares team to see if it may be covered by warranty and see if a replacement is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ohoopee

Thank you Kenny.  Like I said the light still comes on the remote when you press a button, usually this means it is either a setting or the remote needs to be retuned to the device...I just don't know how to do that.

Thank you Kenny.  Like I said the light still comes on the remote when you press a button, usually this means it is either a setting or the remote needs to be retuned to the device...I just don't know how to do that.
    Hi Ohoopee,

Kenny is off today so I hope you don;t mind me replying on his behalf.  We will keep you posted when we hear from our spares department, however in the meantime if you try Onkyos support line: [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](+44) 0208 836 3510 they may have a quick fix.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kind regards[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]David[/font]

Hi Ohoopee,

Kenny is off today so I hope you don;t mind me replying on his behalf.  We will keep you posted when we hear from our spares department, however in the meantime if you try Onkyos support line: [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](+44) 0208 836 3510 they may have a quick fix.[/font]

Thank you, sorry for my late reply, I was not notified by email of your reply.  Any word from your spares department yet?

• Advertisement

Hi Ohoopee,

Thank you, sorry for my late reply, I was not notified by email of your reply.  Any word from your spares department yet?
    Hi Ohoopee,

Hi Ohoopee.

Apologies for the delay.

I gave our spares team a call to chase them and they have said that the remote might not be covered by warranty. (Could you PM me your full address so I can locate you on our system please).

They have also said that they have not heard of a way to be able to reset the remote unfortunately.

Have you tried giving Onkyo a call direct on the number David supplied above as they may have another idea or option.

I'll see what else I can find out and revert back.

Hi Ohoopee,

Hi Ohoopee,

Hi Ohoopee.

Apologies for the delay.

I gave our spares team a call to chase them and they have said that the remote might not be covered by warranty. (Could you PM me your full address so I can locate you on our system please).

They have also said that they have not heard of a way to be able to reset the remote unfortunately.

Have you tried giving Onkyo a call direct on the number David supplied above as they may have another idea or option.

No I have not tried calling Onkyo yet, I just got the reply with the number earlier today.  I've moved since my order but I'll PM you my old address.

Hi Ohoopee,

Hi Ohoopee,

Hi Ohoopee.

Apologies for the delay.

No I have not tried calling Onkyo yet, I just got the reply with the number earlier today.  I've moved since my order but I'll PM you my old address.
    Thanks Ohoopee.

Hello, everyone. Just for future people who might stumble across this post via google search.  I managed to solve the problem with the help of another member who PM'd me.  If you have a similar problem, hold down the mode botton at the bottom righ tof the remote and holding it down, hold and press the rewind button for two or three seconds until you see the light at the top of the remote blink.  The remote has different modes to prevent it from interferring with other remotes, this puts it back to the first mode.  

Hello, everyone. Just for future people who might stumble across this post via google search.  I managed to solve the problem with the help of another member who PM'd me.  If you have a similar problem, hold down the mode botton at the bottom righ tof the remote and holding it down, hold and press the rewind button for two or three seconds until you see the light at the top of the remote blink.  The remote has different modes to prevent it from interferring with other remotes, this puts it back to the first mode.  
    Hey Ohoopee.

That is something I did not know.

It will be good to know in case we get anyone else with this kind of issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 fernandojrcm

Had the same problem and your trick worked perfectly. Thanks a lot!
    Hello, everyone. Just for future people who might stumble across this post via google search.  I managed to solve the problem with the help of another member who PM'd me.  If you have a similar problem, hold down the mode botton at the bottom righ tof the remote and holding it down, hold and press the rewind button for two or three seconds until you see the light at the top of the remote blink.  The remote has different modes to prevent it from interferring with other remotes, this puts it back to the first

Had the same problem and your trick worked perfectly. Thanks a lot!
    Hello, everyone. Just for future people who might stumble across this post via google search.  I managed to solve the problem with the help of another member who PM'd me.  If you have a similar problem, hold down the mode botton at the bottom righ tof the remote and holding it down, hold and press the rewind button for two or three seconds until you see the light at the top of the remote blink.  The remote has different modes to prevent it from interferring with other remotes, this puts it back to the first
    Cheer for lettings us know Fernandojrcm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MacKaiwer72

Thank you for this solution, it was a life saver! I was a little desperate but now remote is working again :)

Thank you for this solution, it was a life saver! I was a little desperate but now remote is working again :)
    Excellent that this was able to get you operational again MacKaiwer72.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.