Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got Made Redundant After 6 months

Options
  • 19-10-2017 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i started in a small business and after 6 months i was called into the office which was in mid september and was told that i was being let go as there is no work as my part of the business is not generating revenue so they are closing it.

my contract says that i have to give 1 months notice to leave, my employer said that they would pay me for a few weeks on reduced hours but get full weeks pay.

when i got my notice i got paid for 4 weeks, I emailed them asking about my holiday pay and got no reply

i was effectively made redundant but got nothing in writing, i just got my p45 i dont know where i stand in terms of getting my remaining holiday pay i got nothing in writing all i know is i am out of a job

i thought i had to get something in writing when being made redundant i know i'm not there long enough for unfair dismissal

Comments

workissues wrote: »
    i started in a small business and after 6 months i was called into the office which was in mid september and was told that i was being let go as there is no work as my part of the business is not generating revenue so they are closing it.

my contract says that i have to give 1 months notice to leave, my employer said that they would pay me for a few weeks on reduced hours but get full weeks pay.

when i got my notice i got paid for 4 weeks, I emailed them asking about my holiday pay and got no reply

i was effectively made redundant but got nothing in writing, i just got my p45 i dont know where i stand in terms of getting my remaining holiday pay i got nothing in writing all i know is i am out of a job

i thought i had to get something in writing when being made redundant i know i'm not there long enough for unfair dismissal

Maybe just go in on a weekday and ask they worse that can happen is that they say no ? Nothing to lose only gain

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

They should pay you you holiday pay, so calculate what that is and write to them.

They don't need to provide anything in writing, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You are entitled to your holiday pay so don't let it go.
    Keep chasing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I've re-read your original post. While your contract says that you have to give 1 month's notice, you don't say how much notice the employer has to give. Furthermore, I'd be surprised if you weren't on some kind of probation. So, it's possible that the employer will say that you got one week's notice in addition to 3 week's holiday pay....

I think you may have been treated fairly by getting 4 weeks pay...if your contract doesn't state the notice period that your employer has to give you.

Because you've only been there 6 months, you're not entitled to redundancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Did you take any holidays in the 6 months while you were working there? You would have accrued approximately 10 days in the 6 months. How many days did you have left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

No idea if I'm correct, but can they say they paid you 4 week, then your holidays are included in the 4 week period.

If the roles were reversed and you gave 4 weeks notice, you could say you are working 3 and the last week is holidays.

Advertisement