Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Leave

Options
  • 19-10-2017 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am a post-primary teacher expecting my first baby and due in April. I was just wondering what other people have done in relation to maternity leave in this situation? I understand it depends on individual circumstances but I'm unsure whether to take leave early and return in September or wait as late as possible and not return until Oct midterm?

Alsoona related note anyone with experience of job sharing roughly what percentage of you take home pay did u retain? Any pros or cons you experienced?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

My 3rd was born in March so I took my leave at end of December as it was great to spend time with other two and I was also very tired and had some health problems . It was hard going back in September as he was just gone 6 months old, my other two had been 9 or 10 months.

If it was my first I think I would work til March, then try to take unpaid leave until week before Christmas holidays, that would be a nice time to go back as it's an easy week with exams ( you could pay sub teacher to correct them maybe?) . Then returning in January wouldn't be do daunting also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

My 3rd was born in March so I took my leave at end of December as it was great to spend time with other two and I was also very tired and had some health problems . It was hard going back in September as he was just gone 6 months old, my other two had been 9 or 10 months.

If it was my first I think I would work til March, then try to take unpaid leave until week before Christmas holidays, that would be a nice time to go back as it's an easy week with exams ( you could pay sub teacher to correct them maybe?) . Then returning in January wouldn't be do daunting also.

Thanks for the response. Yes i think I'm probably better off towork as late as possible as I don't have any kiddies at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

First of all, congratulations, exciting times ahead.

I'd recommend going as late as you possibly can and having the time with baby afterwards. If you had kids at home already, I would have said to take the full 6 months before, finishing at Christmas, and then take Parental leave in September.

Friend of mine is a job sharer and comes out with a little over 60%.. I'm not sure of the details but I saw a post on VFT page last week saying that Job Sharing conditions have changed with regards to hols and bank hols pay, but I think that was for Primary. Look into it just in case it's relevant to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Thanks a million deiseindublin. Ya i think i will work as late as possible having looked in to it. Everyone is telling me I'll want as much time as possible with the baby when it arrives. Thanks also for the info re job share

Advertisement