Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help resolve issue with PC.

Options
  • 20-10-2017 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭

I've put together my PC around February (most parts purchased from Mindfactory).
    Here's the specs:
    16GB (2x 8192MB) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400 DIMM CL16-16-16 Dual Kit 1 105,35 € 105,35 €
    3000GB WD Blue WD30EZRZ 5.400U/min 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s 1 96,25 € 96,25 €
    4GB MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GT OC Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 1xDisplayPort / 1xDVI / 1xHDMI 2.0 (Retail) 1 155,74 € 155,74 €
    MSI Z270 PC MATE Intel Z270 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR ATX Retail 1 129,89 € 129,89 €
    Intel Core i5 7500 4x 3.40GHz So.1151 BOX 1 212,88 € 212,88 €
    275GB Crucial MX300 M.2 2280 M.2 6Gb/s 3D-NAND TLC Toggle (CT275MX300SSD4) 1 88,11 € 88,11 €
    and Corsair CX450M PSU.

I've had a little issue with one of the RAM modules only couple weeks after purchase (win10 was freezing, and memtest was showing plenty of errors), but got sorted perfectly by Crucial under warranty.

Now unfortunately, I'm suffering another issue with the PC.
    What happens is it randomly reboots. However it looks quite unusual, as what happens is PC literally turns off completely (all LEDs on mainboard, case, etc turn off, all fans stop), and it stays off for around 4 seconds, and then turns on again and boots normally.

Initially I thought it was faulty PSU, but then I double checked and BIOS is set to stay off after power cut (with other possible options being ON or LAST STATE). I even double checked, and when I manually cut power for half a second, PC won't start again, until power button is pressed.

And now I'm puzzled completely in what could be the cause of those reboots.

Does anyone have any ideas where to look at, and what to check to diagnose?

PC runs for around 10h a day, and those reboots happen usually once daily, with some days it happening twice, and some days not happening at all.
    According to MSI Command Centre software, all temperatures, fan speeds, and voltages seem all right.

I'd be very grateful for any ideas or hints what to look for.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Lord PuppyMcSnuggle of Cuddleshire

I agree with your original suspicion about the PSU. The only random power-off's I've ever had were a dying or overloaded PSU... other parts seem to lock up or blue-screen. I get that you feel like you've ruled it out, but I'd still test with another PSU as the best means of ruling it out. Your test might not be completely reproducing the problem... like if some part of the PSU is overheating, doing a controlled shut-off might not produce the same behavior. I mean, you might be right, but I'd be careful about ruling things out too soon. I think this is one of those times where it doesn't hurt to have spare parts lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Presumably the shut downs happen after the PC has been on for an extended time, or used for an extended time.

I used to get the occasional shut down during extended gaming sessions. It came down to the temps being too high, causing more energy to be used trying to cool everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Have you looked in windows event viewer to see if anything may be happening to trigger it... Although unlikely if it's suddenly shutting down without warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Maybe I missing something but what OS are you using, Win 7 or Win 10 or in between. In any case there is a setting in Win 7 and prob in the others to turn off "Automatically restart" in "Startup and Recovery" normally found in Advanced Settings, uncheck this setting. The advice to check the event viewer is also sound, it may point you to the culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I agree with your original suspicion about the PSU. The only random power-off's I've ever had were a dying or overloaded PSU... other parts seem to lock up or blue-screen. I get that you feel like you've ruled it out, but I'd still test with another PSU as the best means of ruling it out. Your test might not be completely reproducing the problem... like if some part of the PSU is overheating, doing a controlled shut-off might not produce the same behavior. I mean, you might be right, but I'd be careful about ruling things out too soon. I think this is one of those times where it doesn't hurt to have spare parts lying around.

Thanks.
    Definitely it doesn't hurt to have spare parts :).
    I remember in the 90's when I was teenager, I would have plenty old parts lying around, and plenty of geek friends living nearby, so borrowing PSU, mainboard or ram chip wasn't a problem at all.

Now unfortunately I moved very rural, and I don't know anyone around to borrow any PC part :(

Anyway - after ruling out obvious stuff like USB devices and other stuff plugged in, memory chips (unlikely IMO), graphics card (can take it off and use integrated one for a while), I'll try to organise different PSU to check, and then if that's not it, I will probably have to put a bet on mainboard.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Presumably the shut downs happen after the PC has been on for an extended time, or used for an extended time.

I used to get the occasional shut down during extended gaming sessions. It came down to the temps being too high, causing more energy to be used trying to cool everything.

They happen randomly. Sometimes not long after turning on, sometimes PC might be running 20 hours and all is good.
    Temps don't go too high as far as I can see.

Have you looked in windows event viewer to see if anything may be happening to trigger it... Although unlikely if it's suddenly shutting down without warning.

I haven't.
    I'll have a look at that. thanks.

Advertisement