Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving about in a company?

Options
  • 20-10-2017 8:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Currently working in a role not relevant to my degree, however recently a role that is relevant to and that I have some experience of , has came up. It's being advertised externally and not internally, they know I want that job but want to keep me in my current job because I'm cheap to pay. (Other candidates were asking for 5k plus more than me). What do I do here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Feckoffcup wrote: »
    Currently working in a role not relevant to my degree, however recently a role that is relevant to and that I have some experience of , has came up. It's being advertised externally and not internally, they know I want that job but want to keep me in my current job because I'm cheap to pay. (Other candidates were asking for 5k plus more than me). What do I do here?

You tell them you want the job, or you start job hunting elsewhere. If you stay in a job that pays €5k less than the going rate for your experience/qualifications, your employer is not to blame for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

It's 5k less for the current job I'm in, which I have zero experience. That's why I'm.paid much less, they love money despite making huge profits. The job i want isn't paid much better either but at least it's relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Go for the relevant job. It is the best long term option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

If you are young and want to get into that field then take the opportunity. Learn loads show how great you are ask for more pay or move onto to another company with more experience. Either way whilst you are on 5k more now it doesn't sound like your heart is in it and you will leave at some point and won't have relevant experience to what you want to do. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

So apply for it. Suggest you discuss with your manager before doing it, to announce your intention - maybe they would support you in applying for it.
    How would they staff the job you're currently doing?

• Advertisement

They will struggle to fill my position as it needs 3 months minimum training , to do that would leave a backlog which they wouldn't tolerate. My manager doesn't want me to move into that job. They advertised it behind my back thinking I wouldn't notice which says alot.

Time for a frank discussion with your manager then about progression and development timelines.

If they don't want to talk about it, say it is impossible or don't keep to their word are you prepared to look for opportunities outside the company?

Edit: Is your manager specifically the blocker?

Unfortunately there isn't any other jobs about, yes my manager is the blocker. I suspect he doesn't like me and doesn't think I'm suitable for the job. Although i have the experience required for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Apply and if blocked then look for something better.

Advertisement