Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing after storm

Options
  • 20-10-2017 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭

Any benifits to fishing after or during a big swell or is it the oposit? Im not a sea angker besides mackerel so I havnt a clue. Wouldn't mind hitting the rocks Sunday if the wind has calmed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭flatty

I'd be very vary wary of fishing during a big swell from the sure. Atlantic coast would be a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Id go for it once your careful and no what your doing - If I wasnt working id be flat out on every beach I could get to seeing what the storm threw up - Strange fish - treasure :D

I'd be wary of rock marks - beaches i'd be happy out on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

ardinn wrote: »
    Id go for it once your careful and no what your doing - If I wasnt working id be flat out on every beach I could get to seeing what the storm threw up - Strange fish - treasure :D

I'd be wary of rock marks - beaches i'd be happy out on!

Sound Man. Rocks would be dodgy alright. Might try the beach or youghal pier. Should I just cast in a bit of mackeral and see what happens? Id be happy with a dogfish or something even

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Sound Man. Rocks would be dodgy alright. Might try the beach or youghal pier. Should I just cast in a bit of mackeral and see what happens? Id be happy with a dogfish or something even

If youghal beach is clear of weed and fishable then there could be a few codling about. Crab and lug would be my go to baits tho, cast out 35/40 yards. It could be stuffed with small whiting and cpalies tho.
    Plenty of lads selling crab in youghal, failing that try Paul Coady of East Cork Bait and Tackle in cloyne.
    I wouldn't bother with mackeral, it'll do well on a lot of beaches but not really youghal.

I have no experience of any areas down there but mack or lug is the bait for this time of year - if your in youghal then peelers off any of the usual cod marks would be my suggestion.

Definately head over to sea-angling-ireland.com and ask there

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49772

• Advertisement

ardinn wrote: »
    I have no experience of any areas down there but mack or lug is the bait for this time of year
    If i was fishing youghal and all I had for bait was mack, I'd head home. Wouldn't get out of the car!
    Crab, crab and more crab is the only way for youghal, lug will get fish but nothing like crab!

.red. wrote: »
    If i was fishing youghal and all I had for bait was mack, I'd head home. Wouldn't get out of the car!
    Crab, crab and more crab is the only way for youghal, lug will get fish but nothing like crab!
    I have no experience of any areas down there

I got lug right and said peelers - gimme a break!!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

.red. wrote: »
    If youghal beach is clear of weed and fishable then there could be a few codling about. Crab and lug would be my go to baits tho, cast out 35/40 yards. It could be stuffed with small whiting and cpalies tho.
    Plenty of lads selling crab in youghal, failing that try Paul Coady of East Cork Bait and Tackle in cloyne.
    I wouldn't bother with mackeral, it'll do well on a lot of beaches but not really youghal.

Ya the weed is atrocious down there at times I'm hoping it's not so bad after the storms... Thanks for the tips. How much weight would you recommend roughly?

Ya the weed is atrocious down there at times I'm hoping it's not so bad after the storms... Thanks for the tips. How much weight would you recommend roughly?

Depends on the surf and what your rod can handle. I'd bring 4/5/6oz with me.
    Razor can be a good bait too after a big storm. Their cheap enough and can be refrozen so I'd get a pack of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nokiatom

a LOT of weed around Youghal and its still not fishable with the swell that's coming in there

• Advertisement

youghal beach today

Advertisement