Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this 3 beeps (repeating) or 6 beeps?

Options
  • 20-10-2017 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,732 ✭✭✭✭

A guy on YouTube has a video showing the same error I am getting with my motherboard

https://youtu.be/zJHUeR00zmg

Is that 3 or 6 beeps? It sounds to me like 2 groups of 3.

If it's 6 beeps then its a "keyboard error" whatever that means.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,732 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

If I drop this in for repair can I remove the HDDs with my private data?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You can google codes for your motherboard/bios. It is two groups of 3 repeating.

So it's 3 beeps?

The ASRock B85 Pro4 motherboard spec doesn't specify "2 sets of 3 beeps"

Its either 3 or 6 beeps

http://ddr4motherboard.com/beepcodes/ASROCK-B85M-PRO4

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

If you look at comments of the video the guy replaced motherboard and all was good.

jhud wrote: »
    If you look at comments of the video the guy replaced motherboard and all was good.

:confused:

That's not really a solution. Of course replacing the motherboard is an option, just as buying a new car is an option when the car won't start.

I'm trying to FIX what I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

mrcheez wrote: »
    :confused:

That's not really a solution. Of course replacing the motherboard is an option, just as buying a new car is an option when the car won't start.

I'm trying to FIX what I have.

Well please list what you have tried in fixing this. Have you ever built a computer? Are you able to remove a components and motherboard from case?

Have you removed all hardware except processor to test?

Has the computer ever worked?

The guys here will need your full specs and all to help with fixing if possible.

Yes I built this machine. It's been working fine for 3 years. Recently the beeping started but after a reset the machine would proceed to boot as normal after.

2 days ago it stopped booting. No BIOS showing up on monitor.

I suspected it might be the GSkill RAM modules, so I bought a new 4GB ddr3 yesterday and tried it in all 4 slots. Same beeping on start.

The motherboard has dual channel, does this mean I need to always install 2 ram modules rather than the one I bought yesterday or can I still just use one module?

Still sounds like 2 groups of 3 to me, but there you go. I assume you've tried resetting your bios settings back to default values? If there's any overclock or manual settings applied it could be affecting the ram.

No, you don't need two sticks in dual channel, it'll still work fine with a single stick.

Still sounds like 2 groups of 3 to me, but there you go. I assume you've tried resetting your bios settings back to default values? If there's any overclock or manual settings applied it could be affecting the ram.

No, you don't need two sticks in dual channel, it'll still work fine with a single stick.

2 groups of 3 would mean 2 groups of "Basic memory 64K address check error" according to the site I posted earlier, so must be RAM right?

Strange then that the new module had no effect. Also wouldn't it be strange for BOTH of my GSkill ddr3s to die at the same time?

I did the CMOS shorting if that's what you mean.

Perhaps I didn't do it correctly here's what I did...

- Unplugged pc from AC adaptor
    - Moved the plug from pins 2+3 to 1+2 (according to the mb manual)
    - Waited 1 minute (all while PC still unplugged)
    - Removed CMOS battery for good measure
    - Waited another 3 minutes
    - Put CMOS battery back in
    - Moved plug from pins 1+2 to 2+3
    - Plugged pc back into wall
    - Restarted machine
    - Same 2 * 3 beeps

Are you supposed to turn on the machine in order to register the CMOS reset?

so when in doubt buy a new motherboard??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

so when in doubt buy a new motherboard??

Have you tried booting with the minimal requirements ie no disks etc connected?

If trying all the three ram sticks individually in each of the slots is producing the same error, then that points to the motherboard being the problem. Typically its easier to replace the motherboard than try and diagnose what is wrong with it. You could have a close look to see if there are any swelled or leaking capacitors on the motherboard.

I'm not sure what else you could do? Replace the bios chip in the hopes that is the problem? But it would be a stab in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This the build you went with?
    marco_polo wrote: »
    Tough enough budget, few compromises to be made here and there to get the 250 SSD, 2TB HDD in so the graphics card is a little lighter that I would normally have in a €800 build.

Item|Price
    Thermaltake V4 Black Edition ohne Netzteil|€37.72
    XFX PRO550W Core Edition Full Wired Power Supply|€53.43
    ASRock B85 Pro4, Sockel 1150, ATX|€62.41
    Shipping|€18.99
    2 x 4GB G.Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL9|€72.16
    Intel Core i5-4440 Box, LGA1150|€157.16
    MSI R9 270 GAMING 2G, AMD Radeon R9 270, 2GB DDR5|€159.43
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 250GB SATA 6Gb/s|€139.99
    Seagate SV35 2TB SATA 6Gb's|€83.04
    LG GH24NS bare schwarz|€16.11
    ASUS PCE-N15|€14.90
    Akasa AK-ICR-07 Interner 6-Port Card Reader 8,89cm (3,5") , schwarz|€9.99
    Total|€825.33

Memory controller is onboard with Haswell yeah?

ED E wrote: »
    This the build you went with?

I think that's the one... this is the hardware versand order... looks like the same?

Name: 8GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL9

Name: Akasa AK-ICR-07 Interner 6-Port Card Reader 8,89cm (3,5") , schwarz

Name: ASRock B85 Pro4, Sockel 1150, ATX

Name: ASUS PCE-N15

Name: Corsair CS Series Modular CS550M 550W ATX 2.3

Name: Intel Core i5-4440 Box, LGA1150

Name: Samsung SH-224DB schwarz

Name: Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 250GB SATA 6Gb/s

Name: Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X OC Boost Lite Retail, AMD Radeon R9 270X, 2GB DDR5

Name: Seagate SV35 2TB SATA 6Gb's

Name: Thermaltake V4 Black Edition ohne Netzteil

Memory controller is onboard with Haswell yeah?

sorry don't know what you mean?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Have you tried booting with the minimal requirements ie no disks etc connected?

If trying all the three ram sticks individually in each of the slots is producing the same error, then that points to the motherboard being the problem. Typically its easier to replace the motherboard than try and diagnose what is wrong with it. You could have a close look to see if there are any swelled or leaking capacitors on the motherboard.

I'm not sure what else you could do? Replace the bios chip in the hopes that is the problem? But it would be a stab in the dark.

Right, well if I have to buy a motherboard from a B&M store where do you recommend I get one? I'm in Dublin.

I can't wait for delivery as I need the motherboard asap for work.

sorry don't know what you mean?

The CPU could theoretically be the cause of memory failures.

Reckon I try reseating it? Do I need to purchase some thermal paste if I do this?

So do I need to get thermal paste if reseating the CPU??

I haven't built a computer since this one so can't recall.

I do remember when I bought this machine, the CPU had thermal paste layer sort of "built in" to the mount, so not sure if I can stick more paste there.

The CPU could theoretically be the cause of memory failures.

So suggestion here is get new CPU or new motherboard or reseat the CPU?

So suggestion here is get new CPU or new motherboard or reseat the CPU?

I don't think it's the suggestion, more that it's just a potential cause although unlikely.

I think Elara in Dublin allow collection and their prices would be better than the likes of Maplin for a motherboard.

Just get a basic H81M board if needs be. You won't loose any real functionality or any performance over a B85 unless you had use for the extra expansion options.

I'm sure there are H81/B85/Z97 boards for sale on adverts in Dublin as well.

Cool, also can you confirm that the steps i took to reset the cmos were correct pls?

I find it odd that you dont need to power on the machine to register the updated jumper settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Cool, also can you confirm that the steps i took to reset the cmos were correct pls?

I find it odd that you dont need to power on the machine to register the updated jumper settings.

Removing the cmos battery would have done it regardless.

I don't think it's the suggestion, more that it's just a potential cause although unlikely.

I think Elara in Dublin allow collection and their prices would be better than the likes of Maplin for a motherboard.

Just get a basic H81M board if needs be. You won't loose any real functionality or any performance over a B85 unless you had use for the extra expansion options.

I'm sure there are H81/B85/Z97 boards for sale on adverts in Dublin as well.

I have the 3 ram modules now so I guess I need something with 4 ram slots.

I'll pop into town tomorrow on the bike. Elara would be a bit of a trek but I guess I could try them, they are near the Phoenix Park right?

Any links to a suitable motherboard sold on Elara that will match what I have?

Also should I also just buy a new CPU/heatsink and kill two birds with one stone?

also is there any chance the PSU could be at fault and not supplying enough power?

Shouldnt be as its the mobo that converts 5v to 1.2-1.6v for DRAM. If the PSU wasnt pushing the juice the board would also be starved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

just checking as you said you needed this quickly for work, but you know that you will more than likely need to reinstall your OS with a new motherboard, right?

just checking as you said you needed this quickly for work, but you know that you will more than likely need to reinstall your OS with a new motherboard, right?

Really? Nice.

Quick one, if I drop it into a repair shop can I remove the HDDs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Lord PuppyMcSnuggle of Cuddleshire

Quick one, if I drop it into a repair shop can I remove the HDDs?
    It should still POST (ie. get past the beeps) without a harddrive present, so yeah, go right ahead IMO.

I'd remove all expansion cards to see if it boots. I know on my current PC, if it's beeping at me instead of booting, it's my soundcard or gfx card not sitting in its slot at quite the right angle (I might have to shift it 10 different ways before it's happy). Though if you've replaced the ram, and unplugged as much as you can, I'd probably just try replacing the motherboard rather than paying someone to look at it... it'd probably be cheaper... they might end up recommending that anyway. Maybe the RAM slots themselves are bolloxed, who knows.

• Advertisement

I've removed the only two things that were plugged into the expansion slots: video card and WiFi adaptor.

Should I unplug the coloured cables that control things on the motherboard like the LEDs etc? Obviously I don't want to remove the wire for the beeper that's plugged in.

If I order the exact same motherboard again do I need to reinstall windows?

Advertisement