Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this 3 beeps (repeating) or 6 beeps?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It seems you stuck all 3 memory sticks back into the PC after you got the new board?

My first bet would be that the memory stick in Channel A is bollixed and has been all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Well you see I'm trying to suggest things that might ring a bell with the well-versed audience here, so they see me mention "slowly drawing screen" and perhaps that suggests an issue with the video card or CPU.

I know diddly squat about hardware so hence me trying to highlight symptoms that might ring a bell about the cause.
    I also don't have the time to go into learning it all.

My initial postings were a bit panicky as I was in a rush to get some online forms in before I was heading abroad! :)

I couldn't believe a motherboard could just fail randomly.

I suspected thermal paste as I didn't see much on the CPU when I first took it out last month. I made sure to put a good bit down this time.

As for RAM, I'll take out all except the one new one I bought last month and see how it goes.
    The annoying thing is, the failure timing isn't guaranteed so I could have the machine working for several hours before it just decides to die. Other times it just stops working immediately.

(btw if you are curious, I'm using my laptop at the moment... pure luck that I happened to buy one about a month before **** hit the fan on the old machine, but I still need the old machine for other work)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Cordell

Also try that new memory stick in different slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

mrcheez wrote: »
    Well you see I'm trying to suggest things that might ring a bell with the well-versed audience here, so they see me mention "slowly drawing screen" and perhaps that suggests an issue with the video card or CPU.

And that sort of info is helpful. Making wild guesses that your PSU isn't pulling power because its not plugged directly into the wall isn't though, and other random musings are only muddying the waters here.

I also don't have the time to go into learning it all.
    Nobody is asking you to. But taking the time to write clear and detailed posts about what the problem is and what you've done to try remedy it is much more helpful than guesswork, especially if you admit you don't know a thing about it?

I suspected thermal paste as I didn't see much on the CPU when I first took it out last month. I made sure to put a good bit down this time.

Erm... what's "a good bit" :pac: There's not supposed to be much there. Pea-sized blob in the middle is all you need.

Yeah about a pea ! I checked a YouTube video to be sure :)

I'll try removing all the RAM except the new one and see if it improves. Anyway last time I self-build I can tell you :)

I'd rather pay double and spend the extra free time drinking beer watching Rick and Morty

• Advertisement

It's a while since I've gotten this BSOD issue but I finally got a screenshot of it and have the error code.

I had tried removing hardware previously as suggested but the BSOD didn't occur either when I did this, or when I put it all back so I just continued using the original setup until it triggered again.

So the technical details are:

STOP 0x00000124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
    Usual causes: Hardware, Incompatibility, May be driver corruption
    This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA)

I looked it up and found this:
    https://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/177605-bsod-stop-0x00000124.html

Suggests the "dump file blames the GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_CACHE" and suggest using a program called Prime 95 to test the CPU?

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/100352-hardware-stress-test-prime95.html

I had asked previously was there any software that could be used to test computer components, but got no response, is this not a good way to test the CPU?

I'll check out the dump file when I next get it to start up again after it's cooled down.

Hmm no MEMORY.DMP file was created, odd

I downloaded RealTemp along with Prime 95 and it says my CPU is around 98 C !

It's even around this level when not running Prime 95 after I let it rest and rebooted.

Might explain things then as it does seem my system crashes when it's doing a lot of activity.

So new heatsink then?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

This machine is over heating with those temps. So first thing is to re-seat the heatsink making sure all side are fully down.

I would also get compressed air can be got in Dealz for €1.50 a can get at least 2. Blow out all fans and motherboard. Be sure to leave in 10 minutes or more before turning back on. As moisture from compressed air can damage computer components.

With cover off and machine on check if all fans are working tell us how many fans are installed and where.

Make sure you clean the fan on heatsink.
    What heatsink is installed?

I've purchased a replacement heatsink and it all seems to be working fine now.

Must have been a faulty heatsink I had.

Would this have caused my first mobo to break?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

mrcheez wrote: »
    I've purchased a replacement heatsink and it all seems to be working fine now.

Must have been a faulty heatsink I had.

Would this have caused my first mobo to break?

Probably, excessive heat is bad for electronics.

Advertisement