Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled Flight Entitlements

Options
  • 20-10-2017 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi everyone. I have a question about flight cancellation entitlements. I was supposed to get a flight from Amsterdam Airport to Dublin with Aer Lingus at 9.30pm last night. There was a fault with the plane and they couldn’t fix it. We had to wait for another Aerlingus plane to arrive from Dublin at 2.30am. This flight was then cancelled and we were put up in a hotel for the night. We tried to ring Aer Lingus to change our flight for free. After 56 minutes on the phone we gave up. We said we’d pay for a flight home and apply for a refund later. The last remaining flights for Aer Lingus today were out of our price range so I ended up paying €500 for two seats on a Ryanair plane to Dublin today out of desperation.

My question is what are my rights and entitlements in this situation? Can I claim from Aer Lingus or on travel insurance? How much money could I claim back? This is a disaster.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

was it not possible to rebook your flight online ?

From previous cancellations I'm fairly sure it is, albeit you cant change the airports, but for you not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bluebell91

We could rebook online but the remaining Aer Lingus flights at short notice were too expensive. We couldn’t afford them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

But for a cancellation you should not have to pay anything at all as it was their fault, you would have to pay if you wanted to change the flight yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Bluebell91 wrote:
    My question is what are my rights and entitlements in this situation? Can I claim from Aer Lingus or on travel insurance? How much money could I claim back? This is a disaster.

Aer Lingus should have offered you a rebooking or a refund. If you accepted the refund or made alternative arrangements yourself then Aer Lingus have no further responsibility to you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement