Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I wait for Black Friday or is it a waste?

Options
  • 20-10-2017 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭

So I want a Samsung S8+

The issue is I dont want to pay the 900 quid (approx) for it. So a bill pay is probably my best bet.

I also dont feel great about paying 60 or 80 quid a month depending on contract type and network.

I am with three pre pay but Vodafone 80 quid a month looks like the best package to me. Also it is the cheapest up front payment. Its a lot of cash but it has everything.

My question is, Black Friday. Would I be better to wait for it and see if there are any deals in terms of pricing for the bill or phone? Or is the stuff given at Black Friday just window dressing? Are they merely going to just offer a free phone cover or something?

I am aware that Three are doing €30 a month for the first 6 months plus you get €50 off the phone price and a free VR set (which is given by Samsung rather than three). So thats a great deal. But are there better future deals.

I know we cant say for certain unless someone has inside knowledge, but going by the last couple of years, do the latest phones have BIG offers for black friday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭alksander

Personally I do not think any of the billpay options are worth it, rather they are a ripoff in this country.

Most of them end up costing ~50% more than buying the phone off the shelf and having a proper SIM-only subscription like this one: http://www.three.ie/eshop/sim-only-plans/bill-pay-sim-only/

For 30 a month it is practically unlimited (unlimited data in Ireland, unlimited calls within the network, 7GB in the EU, 10000 minutes of calls within Ireland+EU).

The example offer from Three means the S8+ is 299-50 + 6x30 + 18x60 -> 1509 euros over a 2 year period. Going prepay means 24*30 + ~700 for the phone if you go with any of those deals posted here (Amazon).

Upside: not locked in to Three (can switch anytime a better offer comes up) and not locked in to Three's warranty handling.

Downside: couldn't avail of the get-out-of-contract card would there be an unlikely contract change as earlier this year :)

Also on topic: some of the black friday deals are worth it, but its few and far in between. Haven't seen any good deals for phones though before.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If you select Amazon as the seller then the cost is 682:

https://www.amazon.de/Samsung-Smartphone-Touch-Display-interner-Speicher-midnight-black/dp/B06XJ6BTYT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508502176&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+s8%2B

Or 635 here, from one of the "fulfilled by amazon" sellers:

https://www.amazon.it/gp/offer-listing/B06XWWDLQP/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Be sure to purchase from either Amazon themselves, or a "fulfilled by amazon" seller, I wouldn't trust the rest.

You'll have to do your own sums, but I bet buying this outright would be way cheaper than going on one of the high price contract plans. You can get 30 day rolling contracts with lots of add-ons for reasonable money. It all depends on what your usage is like however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Get a Moto G 5. Does everything the S8 does.

There!!!

Saved you hundreds, no need to thank me.

Kuva wrote: »
    Get a Moto G 5. Does everything the S8 does.

There!!!

Saved you hundreds, no need to thank me.

It doesn't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Thanks OP. Bought 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I wouldn't get a Samsung if it were free!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I wouldn't go if it were free
    Wouldn't go if you paid me

Noticing a bit of a pattern with your posts on BA.
    I wouldn't get a Samsung if it were free!!

You wouldn't take a phone valued at 700 quid for free. I somehow doubt that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Mr.H wrote: »
    So I want a Samsung S8+

The issue is I dont want to pay the 900 quid (approx) for it. So a bill pay is probably my best bet.

http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/sim-free-mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s8/sim-free-deals?source=webgains&utm_source=HotUKDeals&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=20363

590 unlocked here OP - if you pay with revolut or something similar. Black Friday will not have good deals on billpay phones.

Personally if I was going to buy a top end phone unlocked right now, it'd be a pixel.

errlloyd wrote: »
    http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/sim-free-mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s8/sim-free-deals?source=webgains&utm_source=HotUKDeals&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=20363

590 unlocked here OP - if you pay with revolut or something similar. Black Friday will not have good deals on billpay phones.

Personally if I was going to buy a top end phone unlocked right now, it'd be a pixel.

That's an S8, not S8+. The S8 is cheaper than that on Amazon, 550eur more like.

errlloyd wrote: »

That's the standard S8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

That's an S8, not S8+. The S8 is cheaper than that on Amazon, 550eur more like.
    Basil3 wrote: »
    That's the standard S8.

You guys are absolutely correct. Comes with the VR though.

I guess in my mind it is crazy that Samsung have an S8, S8+ and Note 8 so I always forget the S8+!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Vodafone only comparison for S8

Vodafone(PAYG Extra) Samsung S8 + Free Vr = €799 + 30X24 = €1519 (4G, 8GB, Unlimited Call/txt, 100mins/txts international)

Vodafone (Red connect) Samsung S8 + Free VR on = €149 + 60X24 = €1589 (4G, 15GB, Unlimited Call txt, 100mins/txts international+spotify)

Buy online as linked above may save you ~200 over the two years but will your plan include the same and you will have a bigger initial outlay.

I would not rule out bill pay if you want to spread the cost and or need more data or spotify?
    Maybe there are better PAYG plans with other operators?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Stupid question, if I buy the S8 from Amazon Denmark can I insure it? I currently have insurance through Gadget Cover.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

ForestFire wrote: »
    Vodafone only comparison for S8

Vodafone(PAYG Extra) Samsung S8 + Free Vr = €799 + 30X24 = €1519 (4G, 8GB, Unlimited Call/txt, 100mins/txts international)

Vodafone (Red connect) Samsung S8 + Free VR on = €149 + 60X24 = €1589 (4G, 15GB, Unlimited Call txt, 100mins/txts international+spotify)

Buy online as linked above may save you ~200 over the two years but will your plan include the same and you will have a bigger initial outlay.

I would not rule out bill pay if you want to spread the cost and or need more data or spotify?
    Maybe there are better PAYG plans with other operators?

3 Network €20 per month, unlimited internet, unlimited texts, not sure about calls but I never make a call from my mobile so doesn't effect me.

Best deal I've ever had, never had to top up outside the €20. Use internet for everything.

mutley18 wrote: »
    Stupid question, if I buy the S8 from Amazon Denmark can I insure it? I currently have insurance through Gadget Cover.

de is Germany :)

But yes. It is just a sim-free Samsung. Generally they are sold as international versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

what would the total annual cost be like if you borrowed the money (bank or credit union ect) and paid it back monthly? versus billpay .

edit:
    credit union + amazon+ three sim only = €81.25 per month for one year , €20pm after that.

or if you wanted to spread it out over two years its €52.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

open an excel file and do the comparison table and the maths - i did this for an iphone 7 i bought last december and getting it on voda bill pay turned out to be cheapest option over the 2 years...only by about 80 euro but still..(although i don't like being locked in for 2 years, i didn't have the upfront cash to fork out on the phone)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

de is Germany :)

But yes. It is just a sim-free Samsung. Generally they are sold as international versions.

Ah yes of course it is Germany, dont judge me it has been a long week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved to requests

pilly wrote: »
    3 Network €20 per month, unlimited internet, unlimited texts, not sure about calls but I never make a call from my mobile so doesn't effect me.

Best deal I've ever had, never had to top up outside the €20. Use internet for everything.

3 is actually a good deal on PAYG. Calls are a rip-off at 35c/min or something, but I use my credit to pay for Viber VoIP credit, working out at about 2c/min to any landline in the world, and about 10c/min to any mobile. On top of that, I get free €10/month from switching to 3, meaning I have €30/month so spent on all sorts of play store stuff. Currently also paying for office 365 premium out of my credit.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Basil3 wrote:
    3 is actually a good deal on PAYG. Calls are a rip-off at 35c/min or something, but I use my credit to pay for Viber VoIP credit, working out at about 2c/min to any landline in the world, and about 10c/min to any mobile. On top of that, I get free €10/month from switching to 3, meaning I have €30/month so spent on all sorts of play store stuff. Currently also paying for office 365 premium out of my credit.

Is that 10c to international mobiles as Well?

pilly wrote: »
    Is that 10c to international mobiles as Well?

It varies by country. NZ/Aus mobiles (where I call) is about 10c/min, UK 6c/min, USA and India 2c/min. It makes a difference even calling Irish mobiles, you get to make them for a quarter of the price 3 charge, and it still shows as your number calling from the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Bought a phone of these and couldn't recommend them enough.

They have the S8+ new & open to all networks so it is totally free of the contract rip off crap.

http://www.adverts.ie/samsung/brand-new-samsung-galaxy-s8-unlocked-shop-collection/14045749

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement