Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Hand Purchase & Balance

Options
  • 20-10-2017 1:22pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A friend and I are going through the purchase of second hand homes.

When I had my bid accepted it was agreed with the estate agent that we would pay a booking deposit, sing contracts and the balance paid upon the closing our our house.Contracts have been exchanged. Happy days.

My friend did something similar. Deposit paid and agreed with estate agent balance would be cleared upon draw down of mortgage/ house sale.

He has contracts singed on the sale of his house and singed for the other house.

The solicitor is now refusing the release the signed contracts on the purchase until a full 10% deposit is paid (approx €60k). My friend doesn't have that money and wont until his sale goes through.

He will have equity if about €300k when the sale goes through and has singed contracts so he is good for the money.

What is the norm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Brings a new meaning to the Singing for your supper

There is no such thing as being 'good for the money' .. until the money is in the account nothing will be released!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

The norm is to pay a small, usually €5K-€10K booking deposit upon going sale agreed and then you make up to 10% once the contracts are signed. The booking deposit is refundable up until the contracts are signed. Once signed if you pull out the 10% is forfeited.

It seems you go off easy with only having to pay the booking deposit until you close.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

I cant believe that you didnt pay a 10% contract deposit (less the booking deposit). Are you sure about that?? Ive never heard of it not being done. Ever.

Was your deposit equal or more than 10% of the purchase price?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Askthe EA wrote: »
    I cant believe that you didnt pay a 10% contract deposit (less the booking deposit). Are you sure about that?? Ive never heard of it not being done. Ever.

Was your deposit equal or more than 10% of the purchase price?

it wasnt 10% but probably not to far off it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

How can your friend not have 10%?
    Max you can borrow is 90%.
    If he doesn't have 10% then he is out of his depth.

• Advertisement

Wesser wrote: »
    How can your friend not have 10%?
    Max you can borrow is 90%.
    If he doesn't have 10% then he is out of his depth.

The op explained that his friend is waiting on money from a sale of his own house to come through.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The op explained that his friend is waiting on money from a sale of his own house to come through.

With equity of the sale he'll have about 30% deposit

Ok... so all he has to.do.is wait for the other same to go through....?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Wesser wrote: »
    Ok... so all he has to.do.is wait for the other same to go through....?

Sarcasm doesn't carry very well on the internet..........

I'm not being sarcastic. I'm just asking if that will solve the problem. Or if there is some other issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

godtabh wrote: »
    With equity of the sale he'll have about 30% deposit

That’s irrelevant and sounds as if either he didn’t properly instruct his solicitor or his solicitor didn’t dn’t properly inform the other side of the need for a variation from standard terms. It’s very very unusual not to pay up 10% at signing and realistically should have been highlighted at bidding stage.

Advertisement