Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#MeToo has caught on, good thing or bad thing ?

• 20-10-2017 1:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

One side of the argument is that it empowers the victim to come forward, the ground swell of public opinion seems to be behind them.

The other side is the undermining the accused right to a fair defense.

What says Boards ?, a good thing or a bad thing.

How do you feel about #MeToo 345 votes

#MeToo is a good thing
    0% 0 votes
    #MeToo is a dangerous thing
    41% 142 votes
    What's #MeToo & can I join
    58% 203 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Another pointless social media nonsense which will be forgotten about in a few days time. Pretty much like #prayfor rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Some fella looked at my arse in Dunnes on Wednesday.

#MeToo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

It will get to a stage soon where people will feel there is something wrong with them if they haven't been raped or sexually assaulted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

Another pointless social media nonsense which will be forgotten about in a few days time. Pretty much like #prayfor rubbish.

I still have FB "friends" that have the opaque French Flag in their profile pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Some fella looked at my arse in Dunnes on Wednesday.

#MeToo

I was admiring your jeans.

#dontlockmeup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

A girl eye fcuked me once #MeToo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

#prayformetoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

X6asGEa.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It seems a bit hollow to me. It's like the latest social media challenge but instead of getting a bucket of water over your head it's "hey everyone, let's all say we've been assaulted and let everyone speculate in the comments as to who it could be". I've seen people name people in the comments and this just seems so wrong to me.

To clarify: I think it's always a good idea to speak up about abuse and if people find comfort in the strength in numbers then I'm fine with that. But there are ways of doing these things- and trial by social media kangaroo court is not a fair way- IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Extremely hollow for me, how can any of the claims be verified? There's band wagon jumping here too.
    The acts that did occur are inexcusable but I think this trivialises those incidents.

It's like the actual claims against Weinstein, they were obviously numerous and solid enough for the story to break and have the effect that its had but then you have the likes of Brunker jumping on that and trying to grab attention, this #metoo feels similar in a way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Rod Stewards bird this morning.
    #HeresAnotherOne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Would be nice if the OP told us what the significance of #MeToo is. Are we meant to guess? Just click an option at random maybe? Tell us what we're meant to get outraged at please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Neknominations
    Ice Bucket Challenge
    No Make Up Selfie
    #PrayFor
    #MeToo

Are these all the modern day chain letters??

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

#haveawank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

#U2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

#prayformojo

It's neither a good nor a bad thing, it's a fairly cheap and ambiguous expression of a very vague sentiment.

Hashtags eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

It's neither a good nor a bad thing, it's a fairly cheap and ambiguous expression of a very vague sentiment.

Hashtags eh

#Eh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

ugh social media is the absolute worst

If it gives people a way to talk about their sexual abuse - who might not have been able to before (for whatever reason), then surely it's a good thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

It will get to a stage soon where people will feel there is something wrong with them if they haven't been raped or sexually assaulted.

I think we are at that stage.
    One of the girls at work said today that she likes getting wolf whistles. Well I couldn't believe the attack on her by the other women . It was savage. Poor girl will never say that again I can tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

ah yes the bullying that now exists if you do not have the general, online opinion of the snowflake mass's.
    Never was this more apparent than the gay marriage referendum,
    god help you if you didn't agree, forget the fact there was a democratic vote,
    no, you were scum of the earth and labelled a homophobe if you disagreed.
    and now all men are rapists/bullys/racists ect
    #it'salesbianwomansworld

AnneFrank wrote: »
    ah yes the bullying that now exists if you do not have the general, online opinion of the snowflake mass's.
    #it'salesbianwomansworld

What in the name of f*ck are you even on about?

It just feels like there's an alt-right soundboard and you're pressing buttons trying to make full sentences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

__..__ wrote: »

One of the girls at work said today that she likes getting wolf whistles.  Well I couldn't believe the attack on her by the other women .  It was savage.  Poor girl will never say that again I can tell you.
    The other women are probably ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭flexcon

#it'salesbianwomansworld

honestly made perfect sense to me. I echo this in many ways.

It's why the world was shocked when Trump came in, why nertherlands nearly voted in a Naxi party, why UK is leaving thanks to brexit.

The masses are strangely not as mass consensus as they seem to think sometimes.

Anyway, way off thread!

I'm not sure how I feel about the #metoo. I saw two friends who said it on Facebook, one being kinda close. I asked them about it, and either didn't want to say anything more, or was unsure if to say anything. So it became an awkward moment when she made public with the #metoo but actually wouldnt talk about it in person.

If it did any good for her, and genuinely got the courage to say #metoo because of the sudden power and surge of attention behind this - then that's all fine. Undecided what to think since when asked further - no further details are given ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

"#metoo"

"Aw hun, wat happned u?"

"Cant say, they no who dey are tho"

"awww hugs luv, men are horrible but your strong aint u and dey".

Basically a bunch of drama Ilamas on facebook are the last people you want associated with your crusade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Gary Dazzling Meadow

One of the girls at work said today that she likes getting wolf whistles. Well I couldn't believe the attack on her by the other women . It was savage. Poor girl will never say that again I can tell you.

People are going to trivialize it - is wolf whistling assault really? Will a fella asking a woman on a date now be harassement-assault?

It’s going down a slippery slope by the 3rd wave feminists , sjws and social media bandwagoners trivializing real assault cases and not I was wolf whistled at

If it gives people a way to talk about their sexual abuse - who might not have been able to before (for whatever reason), then surely it's a good thing?

That's a huge if, though.

And it's hardly a safe space nor a very constructive one bytimes.

And I mean.....what's 'sexual harrassment' (not a question you'd be well advised to ask anywhere in public in these circumstances but it's kind of crucial to the debate)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

flexcon wrote: »
    honestly made perfect sense to me. I echo this in many ways.

It's why the world was shocked when Trump came in, why nertherlands nearly voted in a Naxi party, why UK is leaving thanks to brexit.

The masses are strangely not as mass consensus as they seem to think sometimes.

Anyway, way off thread!

I'm not sure how I feel about the #metoo. I saw two friends who said it on Facebook, one being kinda close. I asked them about it, and either didn't want to say anything more, or was unsure if to say anything. So it became an awkward moment when she made public with the #metoo but actually wouldnt talk about it in person.

If it did any good for her, and genuinely got the courage to say #metoo because of the sudden power and surge of attention behind this - then that's all fine. Undecided what to think since when asked further - no further details are given ...

What’s the point though? If someone has a genuine complaint, then why not contact the Gardai?

I guess the counter argument is that there may not be enough evidence or they don’t want to confront the person who assaulted them. In that case, maybe this helps your friend (or people like her) to talk about it which could be a good thing in terms of dealing with it. But your friend doesn’t want to do that either.

However, beyond that it’s just exacerbating the feeling of being a victim (which I don’t think is a good thing in itself) or jumping on a bandwagon which lots of people will do to get some attention.

Someone said it earlier, this is social media at its worst.

Sexual assault is a heinous, disgusting crime. So is exploiting it to jump on a bandwagon in my view and this campaign encourages that sort of behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭flexcon

DeanAustin wrote: »
    What’s the point though? If someone has a genuine complaint, then why not contact the Gardai?

I guess the counter argument is that there may not be enough evidence or they don’t want to confront the person who assaulted them. In that case, maybe this helps your friend (or people like her) to talk about it which could be a good thing in terms of dealing with it. But your friend doesn’t want to do that either.

However, beyond that it’s just exacerbating the feeling of being a victim (which I don’t think is a good thing in itself) or jumping on a bandwagon which lots of people will do to get some attention.

Someone said it earlier, this is social media at its worst.

Sexual assault is a heinous, disgusting crime. So is exploiting it to jump on a bandwagon in my view and this campaign encourages that sort of behaviour.

Well see this is where I am confused to how I view it now.

I always put my head back in to say I cannot understand what they are thinking or feeling since I haven't experienced this myself.

Interesting point though

".......... beyond that it’s just exacerbating the feeling of being a victim (which I don’t think is a good thing in itself) or jumping on a bandwagon which lots of people will do to get some attention...."

Sheep mentality always comes into it, Kony 2012, Ice bucket challenge etc. Sometimes it does good, sometimes not.

That's a huge if, though.

And it's hardly a safe space nor a very constructive one bytimes.

And I mean.....what's 'sexual harrassment' (not a question you'd be well advised to ask anywhere in public in these circumstances but it's kind of crucial to the debate)

But if there's even just one person that feels able to talk about their assault because of this campaign, then surely it's a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Jesus I'm just back after lunch and the conversation in here has moved on from what i described before. The women are now encouraging each other to pull from the depths of their memories when they have been sexually harassed, because some of them can't remember. It's frightening. I wish I could close my ears because I dare not comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

People are going to trivialize it - is wolf whistling assault really? Will a fella asking a woman on a date now be harassement-assault?

It’s going down a slippery slope by the 3rd wave feminists , sjws and social media bandwagoners trivializing real assault cases and not I was wolf whistled at

I don't mind being wolf whistled at. Harmless, imo. I would never put in on a par with being assaulted. That's just barmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

But if there's even just one person that feels able to talk about their assault because of this campaign, then surely it's a good thing?

I get that point of view, I really do. But two points:

1. Is it worth one person being able to talk about their assault if 10 more are falsely accused?
    2. What’s wrong with actually talking to a friend, family member or The Samaritans (for example) about it? Ultimately, they’re the people who will help you through it. This is a real issue, it’s real life and has to be dealt with in the real world. Posting something on Facebook is not the answer in my view.

Nothing sure about that, depending on the general damage done in the murkiness!

• Advertisement

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I get that point of view, I really do. But two points:

1. Is it worth one person being able to talk about their assault if 10 more are falsely accused?
    2. What’s wrong with actually talking to a friend, family member or The Samaritans (for example) about it? Ultimately, they’re the people who will help you through it. This is a real issue, it’s real life and has to be dealt with in the real world. Posting something on Facebook is not the answer in my view.

I don't know.

I don't agree with it, but I'm not against it either.

Something that has to be remembered is that people would be comfortable with different means of communicating. Some people find going on Twitter/social media easier than communicating with friends and family members directly.

It's easier to ask "what's wrong with..." when you're not in that situation and you're not that person.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

Never threaten to undermine the weaponized victimhood deployed by power grabbing opportunists to lord it over others, it might spoil their neo-McCarthyite witch/reds/men burning frenzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭jo2509

anna080 wrote: »
    I don't mind being wolf whistled at. Harmless, imo. I would never put in on a par with being assaulted. That's just barmy.

Totally agree.

I'm female by the way, if that's relevant.

No. It certainly isn't. 1 person to be able to talk about it vs the countless "celebs" using it as a way to stay in headlines with baseless and vague comments is nowhere near worth it.

This hashtag movement is doing nothing except trivialising a horrendous act.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭jo2509

No. It certainly isn't. 1 person to be able to talk about it vs the countless "celebs" using it as a way to stay in headlines with baseless and vague comments is nowhere near worth it.

This hashtag movement is doing nothing except trivialising a horrendous act.

Not even 'celebs'.
    I've seen umpteen 'had my ass pinched in break for the border #metoo' style bandwagoning attention seeking tweets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have no idea what this thread is about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭kg703

It's a strange one because it'll give attention seekers an excellent platform to voice their newfound misery. To be honest though - while I see the point of it, what women can honestly say she has never had someone be sexually inappropriate or on the end of ridiculous sexist behaviour? I for one don't know any!

I would say most have had their arse slapped or grabbed in a nightclub, had the t*ts groped by a random person, had people try to hold their face while they tried to kiss them, been treated like a dinner lady when you are a professional in work??? All of the above are on my list but I'm not traumatised by any of it. Anyone who has touched me has received a swift fist straight to face (and then Im the one kicked out of a bar haha!)

Im really in two minds about the whole thing, I mean no one has the right to touch anyone. Ive no problem with someone whistling or complimenting me though as long as they are hands off and not disgusting about it? Ive seen sob stories on my facebook though about girls who once had their arse grabbed ten years ago and now treating it like they now need counselling. Maybe it will make drunk lads think twice before they stick the feelers out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

jo2509 wrote: »
    Not even 'celebs'.
    I've seen umpteen 'had my ass pinched in break for the border #metoo' style bandwagoning attention seeking tweets.

But should women have to put up with having their asses pinched? I remember as a teen on the school bus when there was no seats and I had to stand the guys used to pinch my ass all the time. It was humiliating, I was a quiet teen, not really into guys and I didn't feel like I could stand up to a group of guys by myself who were touching me and discussing my ass. I hated it, by the time I got to the bus there was hardly ever seats left and I used to dread it.

And wolf whistles, I have been wolf whistled and had comments in front of my children. It is just completely inappropriate and pointless, I don't understand what these guys hope to achieve by it.

Seemingly men are being harrassed online for also using #MeToo. Seemingly we are not allowed to talk about our own sexual assaults ..

kg703 wrote: »
    It's a strange one because it'll give attention seekers an excellent platform to voice their newfound misery. To be honest though - while I see the point of it, what women can honestly say she has never had someone be sexually inappropriate or on the end of ridiculous sexist behaviour? I for one don't know any!

I would say most have had their arse slapped or grabbed in a nightclub, had the t*ts groped by a random person, had people try to hold their face while they tried to kiss them, been treated like a dinner lady when you are a professional in work??? All of the above are on my list but I'm not traumatised by any of it. Anyone who has touched me has received a swift fist straight to face (and then Im the one kicked out of a bar haha!)

Im really in two minds about the whole thing, I mean no one has the right to touch anyone. Ive no problem with someone whistling or complimenting me though as long as they are hands off and not disgusting about it? Ive seen sob stories on my facebook though about girls who once had their arse grabbed ten years ago and now treating it like they now need counselling. Maybe it will make drunk lads think twice before they stick the feelers out though.

i agree with all this, but let's be fair, lot's of men have had their arse's pinched and bums slapped by groups of women too, the talk of sex and drooling over people in my office is all done by women !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

jo2509 wrote: »
    Totally agree.

I'm female by the way, if that's relevant.
    God I should be so lucky to get a whistle!
    For what it's worth is it OK for me to whistle a guy?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Gary Dazzling Meadow

More realistic than intended

But should women have to put up with having their asses pinched? I remember as a teen on the school bus when there was no seats and I had to stand the guys used to pinch my ass all the time. It was humiliating, I was a quiet teen, not really into guys and I didn't feel like I could stand up to a group of guys by myself who were touching me and discussing my ass. I hated it, by the time I got to the bus there was hardly ever seats left and I used to dread it.

And wolf whistles, I have been wolf whistled and had comments in front of my children. It is just completely inappropriate and pointless, I don't understand what these guys hope to achieve by it.

they are morons let's be honest, but i wouldn't class them as abusers either

they are morans let's be honest, but i wouldn't class them as abusers either

Fuppin' Morans. I knew one once. He was a bit of a c*nt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement